Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Slash 4x4 Gyro Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 10:01 PM
hustlebird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slash 4x4 Gyro Question

I have a spare gyro lying around for my helicopters, and I decided I'd try hooking it up to the truck for some bashing here locally. So i disconnected the steering servo from the reciever, and plugged the gyro in there. I then hooked the other end up to the servo. When I power up nothing happens though. This is the stock receiver, and the gyro is an eflite gyro off a blade SR.

Anyway, after some trouble shooting I've realized its not liking the signal input its receiving and thats why its failing to initialize. (if i hook the gyro up to a heli reciever, and the servo to the gyro, it all works... but I dont have a heli receiver, and if i hook it up to channels 3-5 it powers up, but flashes that its getting no signal whatsoever).

So I pulled out the multimeter and read the voltage on traxxas track link (stock) reciever in the truck. it was ranging around .36v-.54v or there abouts, and when i checked the Blade SR receiver, it was sending like .18v-.26 volts. Is the signal the volts? or load? I don't really know anything about the signal, although I did read that a good gyro would read any range? I've tried an align gyro I have as well and neither one seems to like the traxxas receiver (although both send inputs to the steering servo through the Blade reciever).

Any thoughts? Would appreciate any help.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Cleared2Engage

Default RE: Slash 4x4 Gyro Question

You need a 3 channel radio for that to work. Remember there is a separate channel for gyro gain. It isn't being given a value for the gain channel and it won't properly initialize otherwise. That's why it works on your 6 channel heli systems and not your 2 channel car systems.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:01 PM
hustlebird

Hmm, if i disconnect my yellow lead (gain) on my heli the gyro still initializes just fine, it just stays in heading hold mode... All my tests were done only plugging in the signal lead into chan 1 (traxxes) or channel 2 (rudder) on the heli receiver.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:40 PM
hustlebird

Here is the gyros i've been playin with.

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/Su...dId=EFLRG110HL

and

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...odID=AGNRG500X

Old 11-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Cleared2Engage

That's strange. I know if I plug a GY401 (not the hobby king version) it won't work without a gain channel. Maybe it's just something about the Traxxas receiver. Do you have the gyro set for digital or analog? I'd try it on my Traxxas radio gear, but I just sold it all off.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:07 AM
hustlebird

The align gyro is analog only, so I don't have a choice on the matter there. The eflite one I've tried setting it to both, and the only time it does ANYTHING on the traxxas receiver is when i dont link it to the tx. Its something with the inputs from the tx, but they seem alright to me? I don't really understand it all that much, I just have seen people talking about throwing these things in their trucks when they're not flying and it really changes the way they handle...

Its tough finding information about this stuff, but it just seems to be something with the traxxasreceiver I guess. I was hoping to hear from someone that's done it. I'd consider buying the HPI gyro at this point, but I imagine it won't work either!

Old 11-13-2010, 09:14 AM
TIGER76

Think you would need a 3 channel rx like from a traxxas nitro or something to run that gyro properly
Old 11-13-2010, 10:19 AM
hustlebird

Well, I know I can hook it up to only 1 channel on a normal reciever and it works fine. I think it has something to do with this 'traxxas link high output' reciever/transmitter setup that came with it I'm going to try and find a different receiver to try it on.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:43 PM
a.bailey

I've tried hooking up a gyro to my slash and have had the same problem. I've used this same gyro in other cars with no problems. I don't know if it's the Rx or the servo that the gyro doesn't like but my gyro won't initialize with traxxas electronics.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:52 AM
hustlebird

Yea, I plugged my gyro into a different receiver and then hooked it into the steering servo and it worked fine. I also used it just fine on an HPI car I have. It appears to be the traxxas link receiver, or possibly because of the cheaper gyros... The only thing I really noticed is that the traxxas link receivers are 'high output' and not compatible with most things...

Oh well though, with the gyro on my on road car I still had a lot of issues with it, maybe I'll try it later on when I get some drift tires...
Old 11-17-2010, 07:39 AM
4goodbuys2

What does a gyro do and how would it help a rc car?