Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Good Lipos + Charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:22 PM
inteva6184

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good Lipos + Charger

Nope the bigger the ps the better. I X E= P. The power that the ps produces is determined by the draw from the charger. So what should be constant is the voltage lets say 14 volts your amperage will change depending on the demands of the charger and those numbers multiplied equal the wattage.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:31 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

Ah ok.

So no matter how powerful my PS is the charger will just draw what it needs. Sounds good! I'll definitely build one of these $20 PSUs then.

Thanks for the info
Old 11-23-2010, 06:23 PM
cooldriver385

I think I just may follow through. Now with SyCo's problem with the power supply from Turnigy turned me away. So their chargers and batteries are amazing but power supply sucks. I'm sure that PC power supply build should be simple.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:10 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: cooldriver385

I think I just may follow through. Now with SyCo's problem with the power supply from Turnigy turned me away. So their chargers and batteries are amazing but power supply sucks. I'm sure that PC power supply build should be simple.
Well it wasn't labeled turnigy it just looks identical (like I said). Mine is actually called "Chargery Power" but HK used to sell it for the same price.

They yanked it right when the Turnigy ones popped up that happen to look identical to it, and they have the same exact specs.

I can't say for certain if they are built by the same company, and just relabeled though. But the chances of that are pretty strong.

Here were the last reviews seeing the product page was removed (I got it prior to those) http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idproduct=6879
Old 11-23-2010, 07:11 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

It's quite simple.

I'm terrible with all this electronics stuff but its not that hard. Just soldering a few wires on and shorting out two pins. Won't be too hard haha You really should follow through... Lipo from what I've seen is 100% worth it.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:10 PM
RCER88
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using a Turnigy Accucel 6 charger for almost two years. I bought the HK 5 amp power supply $8.99 (i think) and works just fine I can't charge at 5 amp though but three is no problem even on my five cell batteries.

For doing two cell a Turnigy 420 charger is great too. I can charge two at a time. Up to two amps. Never have to worry about overcharge rate on larger batteries. For less than ten bucks why screw around and build one?

My two cents.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:58 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

ORIGINAL: RCER88

I have been using a Turnigy Accucel 6 charger for almost two years. I bought the HK 5 amp power supply $8.99 (i think) and works just fine I can't charge at 5 amp though but three is no problem even on my five cell batteries.

For doing two cell a Turnigy 420 charger is great too. I can charge two at a time. Up to two amps. Never have to worry about overcharge rate on larger batteries. For less than ten bucks why screw around and build one?

My two cents.
Well, for the extra $10 you are getting alot more... and the ability to use bigger chargers in the future.

That one can only put out 5 amps.. while the one you can build puts out up to 47a. This is WAY overkill for the Turnigy Accucel-6 or Accucel-8 chargers, however think about it this way. In the future, if you were to upgrade to a charger with a higher wattage/amperage capability, or a battery with a higher charge amperage then you have a lot of room to work with.

So, overall, that PS is good for your application, but its not necessarily great for others.

Brett
Old 11-24-2010, 12:20 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: RCER88

My two cents.
easy
I run 2 chargers currently(have 3), and don't have all day to sit around looking at a battery charge, and would rather be running ASAP instead
My 1st power supply only could go at 3 amps and that drove me nuts waiting.
So if I can charge 3 batteries at once at 1S isn't that better than waiting while looking at 2 batteries charge at .5S?

You also get more leeway for the future. 2 of my batteries are labeled for 10A charging, so with 43A output I can charge 2 of my batteries in less time than it takes you to get one to 80%, and if I get more chargers I can do 4 at a time at 10amps vs it would take you 8 or so hours with the brick(or you would have to buy alot of bricks)
Trust me when you have RC's that require 2 batteries at a time the extra charge speed is well worth it
Old 11-24-2010, 12:43 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Charging at 5 amps?

Good god do you churn your own butter, too?

It cost ThunderbirdJunkie a grand total of like $48 to buy both of those power supplies and convert them both, after figuring in cost of Deans female plugs and wire.

Hold on, taking a picture
Old 11-24-2010, 12:52 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Just for economies of scale, ThunderbirdJunkie included the Airtronics 94162 servo because it cost more than everything else in the picture combined
Old 11-24-2010, 07:49 AM
cooldriver385

Ya know, I think I'm starting to get it. So if I build that power supply, it puts out 47A. The Turnigy power supply might be a bad idea. But I don't know. How many chargers can I supply power to at once with that power supply build?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:51 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: cooldriver385

Ya know, I think I'm starting to get it. So if I build that power supply, it puts out 47A. The Turnigy power supply might be a bad idea. But I don't know. How many chargers can I supply power to at once with that power supply build?
should be able to power 7 6A chargers