Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Good Lipos + Charger

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 05:22 PM
cooldriver385

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good Lipos + Charger

Hey guy I've been looking to get either a Velineon brushless system or a Castle Creations Sidewinder Sport system for my Stampede. Now, I need to do some research about Lipo batteries themselves. But, what is a good charger you guys can recommend and what are some good batteries to recommend for the Stampede with either of those systems?
Old 11-22-2010, 05:31 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

Default RE: Good Lipos + Charger

I just recently ordered a pair of batteries from hobbyking (turnigy lipos) and a turnigy accucel charger. All of this for under $100.

Might seem like its too good to be true but the turnigy lipos and the accucel chargers get raving reviews from most of the people around the forum and for a fraction of the price. Are you thinking about going 2s or 3s lipo?

Brett
Old 11-22-2010, 06:00 PM
cooldriver385

Um, well would 3S be a little overkill? I might fo for 'em. But ya, HobbyKing's stuff seems WAY too good to be true. And yes, eceryone seems to love them.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:04 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

2s will be suitable for bashing around for sure. 3s if you really want some crazy speeds.

If I were you I wouldn't be turned away from the HK lipos just because of their lower prices. Like I said, and you have acknowledged, many people say they are just as good as the EXTREMELY expensive batteries out there. Also, the chargers get amazing reviews. Think of it this way, if you spend $25 to get a cheap lipo from HK if it dies on you in a year you won't have to care as much as if you had to go buy another $150 battery.

I'd definitely look into them and see what would be good for you. Can't wait for mine to come!
Old 11-22-2010, 06:11 PM
cooldriver385

Sounds like great idea! Now, how about balancers and dischargers? I might sounds stupid. But, I still have some homework to do on Lipos.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:20 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

Chargers like the Turnigy Accucel-6 (available on HK, but needs an external power supply) or the Accucel-8 are very highly recommended as well. They run for like $30-40 depending on which one you choose and have a good, accurate balancer (from what I've heard) built in. These can be a little more difficult because you will need to build (or purchase) a power supply but with some simple soldering an $15 on ebay you can pick up a server power supply and turn it into one usable by your charger. I'll include the link below.

As for discharging, I think your supposed to make sure the cells don't go below.... 3.9v but that's coming off the top of my head. I need to do more HW on that as well before I start charging my new batts. Just make sure you charge responsibly, don't charge over night etc. as I'm sure you've heard of the dangers of lipos if you're irresponsible with them.

Here's the link to that PS build. I'm thinking about doing this, its very simple soldering and CHEAP: http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27554

Good luck with your llipo experience haha :P
Old 11-22-2010, 06:29 PM
cooldriver385

My dad has a power supply outside that is capable of 2 amps, 20 amps, and 50 amps. I'm pretty sure it's used for plugging into car batteries. Do these chargers have alligator clips?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:00 PM
cooldriver385

Now, with Traxxas connectors, would I have to solder them on to the charger? And the batteries? Or can I just buy them fitted with the connectors?
Old 11-22-2010, 07:09 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

ORIGINAL: cooldriver385

My dad has a power supply outside that is capable of 2 amps, 20 amps, and 50 amps. I'm pretty sure it's used for plugging into car batteries. Do these chargers have alligator clips?
I don't think they have alligator clips, they are supposed to have a 12v dc input but I haven't received my charger just yet so I'm not 100% sure what power options you can go with.

Now, with Traxxas connectors, would I have to solder them on to the charger? And the batteries? Or can I just buy them fitted with the connectors?
Yes, you will have to solder the traxxas connectors onto your charger and batteries but thats a super simple job and the connectors cost like $4 for a pair of m/f.

Not too bad. All in all your getting a lipo and a charger for under $100 shipped and you only need to solder the connectors (or if you need a power supply, either build or find one).
Old 11-22-2010, 08:24 PM
cooldriver385

I've never soldered before. So I'm gonna have to acquire the skill. My dad can probably teach me.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:00 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

I've never soldered before. So I'm gonna have to acquire the skill. My dad can probably teach me.
Definitely look towards your dad. It's not that hard really, soldering a plug only requires soldering at two points its not that hard really.

Good luck!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 PM
papa_smurf

DUDE! Those Lipos are dirt cheap!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:31 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

ORIGINAL: papa_smurf

DUDE! Those Lipos are dirt cheap!
Very cheap,

But they have excellent reviews. Can't wait to have mine!
Old 11-22-2010, 09:50 PM
papa_smurf

I read alot of reviews saying that they recieved them completly dead.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:33 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: VXL ENCHILADA

Here's the link to that PS build. I'm thinking about doing this, its very simple soldering and CHEAP: http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27554
lol just ordred me one of those. Thanks for the link
Cheaper than the AC power supply I currently use, that acts up some since the day I got it, and can put out 3X the amps as my power supply

ORIGINAL: papa_smurf

I read alot of reviews saying that they recieved them completly dead.
HK lipos?
I've only read 1-2 people have issues, but they also didn't bother warrantying the batteries when HK offered to replace them.
I have 7 or so HK lipos and never had an issue due to their quality(I did make a mistake and slightly damaged 2, but it would have happened even with the $150 lipos), and 2 I run at their max amp rating with no issues.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:52 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

lol just ordred me one of those. Thanks for the link
Cheaper than the AC power supply I currently use, that acts up some since the day I got it, and can put out 3X the amps as my power supply
No problem! Yeah it seems like a really good build I'm definitely thinking about using that as a ps.

Good luck getting it goin haha
Old 11-22-2010, 11:40 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Chargers like the Turnigy Accucel-6 (available on HK, but needs an external power supply) or the Accucel-8 are very highly recommended as well. They run for like $30-40 depending on which one you choose and have a good, accurate balancer (from what I've heard) built in. These can be a little more difficult because you will need to build (or purchase) a power supply but with some simple soldering an $15 on ebay you can pick up a server power supply and turn it into one usable by your charger. I'll include the link below.

As for discharging, I think your supposed to make sure the cells don't go below.... 3.9v but that's coming off the top of my head. I need to do more HW on that as well before I start charging my new batts. Just make sure you charge responsibly, don't charge over night etc. as I'm sure you've heard of the dangers of lipos if you're irresponsible with them.

Did that over the weekend and ThunderbirdJunkie has been using it constantly. Thinking about hooking up an old car stereo head unit and speakers and such to it, too.

There's a guy on fleabay selling them for $45 shipped per pair. So buy one for home and one for the track [8D]
Old 11-23-2010, 12:05 AM
VXL ENCHILADA

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Did that over the weekend and ThunderbirdJunkie has been using it constantly. Thinking about hooking up an old car stereo head unit and speakers and such to it, too.

There's a guy on fleabay selling them for $45 shipped per pair. So buy one for home and one for the track [8D]
Glad it worked out well for you.

How did the build go? Easy I'm assuming.... which server ps did you base it on? The one that the guy in that thread based it on or a different one?

Let me know!
Old 11-23-2010, 12:12 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

The one that OP used for his build.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=160508056884

Bought two of those.

took about 30 minutes grand total. Will have to take some pictures when the SC10 is put back together so there's room on the desk. It works pretty good, haven't had a chance to really stress it yet.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:32 AM
cooldriver385

Wouldn't ie be a better idea and be easier if you bought this?
[link=http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=13765]http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=13765[/link]

It's even made by Turingy too.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:54 AM
VXL ENCHILADA

[link=http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=13765]http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=13765[/link]

That would actually be ok for our purposes since the turnigy chargers don't draw that much, but some other charges may need a higher output and thats what the above build offers. I might see if that ps has good reviews since its only $30 but if not I'm doing the build.

EDIT: also, the other ps is a 47a charger that only puts out 16a and there's one bad review... hmmmm interesting stuff

Old 11-23-2010, 11:59 AM
maddmatt02

my laptops charger puts out 3.5A @ 18.5V. the charger I want to get (HK ECO6-10) says it can use an input voltage from 12-18V, would I fry the thing if I changed the plug on my laptop charger to be able to power the charger with it? I know I wouldnt be charging at a very high rate until i built a better power supply but I have this laptop charger with no laptop anymore...

I dont know if the "charging software" or whatever youd call it is in the charger itself or if the computer handles the job and that cord/transformer deal does nothing but convert 110AC to 18.5 DC?
Old 11-23-2010, 12:25 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one from HK that looks identical to it, and have been less than impressed. Mine also was rated for 16A, and after 1 use the voltage became unstable.
1st time I used it the fan never kicked on to cool it(was supposed to come on when it got too warm) so it overheated, and voltage dropped to 8V.
2nd time same thing.
So I popped it open and connected the fan to the power rails to be always on(found a post somewhere else where a guy had the same issue), and it became more stable, but still the voltage will still randomly drop off for no reason seeing its not overheating now(I ran it taken apart and checked the temps when it was acting up).
I've also never pulled more than 11A's through it seeing I was running 2 chargers at 10A's on it.

And maddmatt No idea I'm sure its rated 12-18v for a reason
it MIGHT be able to take the extra .5v's or that .5v's might damage it. I personally wouldn't try it.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:10 PM
inteva6184

HK batteries are great I now have about 15 of them not a single issue yet.  As far as chargers go I have a venom and its ok but it charges very slow cant even charge my 4s batteries at 5a.  I just purchased a icharger 206b and I love the thing.  It can charge up to 20a the most ive gone up to so far is 16a and it didnt even get warm.  For a powersupply I usually use my car battery when I am bashing but at home I purchased a 15v 30a ps from ebay seems to work well and is compact but gets pretty warm until the fan kicks on.  It was only 40 dollars.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:09 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

I would order that turnigy ps but its not available at the USA warehouse so it would cost me big $$ to ship it. Rather just get the one from eBay and built one.

I have question though for the guys with more experience. If my ps is putting out MORE watts then what my charger can handle, will it be ok? I'm not sure if it absolutely needs to be below or if the charger will just max out at the 150w and the rest will not be drawn... idk help me out here haha.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.