Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

My new truck....

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:00 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new truck....

Well, new to me anyways.

I was browsing the internet looking for deals as usual and found a 3906 e-maxx on a site for a really, really good price. All it needed was a transmitter. So, I sent the guy an e-mail. He sent me some pictures of the truck and i was very surprised. All aluminum A-Arms, Aluminum front bulkhead, rear bulkhead brace, shock towers, and posts. The rest of the truck was stock and it had 2 old 2400mah nicd's and a charger with it. Im not a huge fan of aluminum, but i know a lot of times it helps resell or can be sold seperately, so id rather have it than not in this case.

Needless to say i bought it and it came today. Very happy with my purchase. I think ill keep it, though im not sure yet. Im thinking about making a mud/hill/water truck out of it by waterproofing it good, and then just leaving the rest of it how it is. It has Revo tires on it that hook up good. The blower came off of it already. The ESC is an HPI E-Savage ESC, and the motors are stock titans with heatsinks that seem to work fine. I just ran it and while it isnt overly powerful, I got a respectable 20-22 minutes of run time with it on 3000mah batteries, and it wheelies pretty well. The run time is the main thing I want to be good if Im playing in the mud. This thing wont ever go brushless with me because i dont want to spend the $$ keeping the driveline together. If I got to liking it enough though, its possible i'd put a 775 titan in it.

The aluminum makes the truck really heavy. Im thinking about selling the arms and putting stockers or RPM's on it. Also, one thing many of you will notice are the Proline Powerstroke Shocks! Discontinued now, but most people spoke really good of them. I like them a lot so far. Anyways, here are some older pictures of the truck. Its dirty now because of me running it, but it looks identical other than the tires.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:02 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My new truck....

Nice find, I like it.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:52 PM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

Very nice find Eric
Old 11-23-2010, 07:05 PM
VXL ENCHILADA

Looks like its in real good condition. Good luck with it!
Old 11-23-2010, 07:18 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

out of curiosity what was that really really good price
Old 11-23-2010, 07:20 PM
redfisher1974

Less then you can afford pal...
Old 11-23-2010, 07:23 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Less then you can afford pal...
hmmm?
That doesn't make much sense

Just was a tad curious cause it looks in damn good shape.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Smiff 24

Very nice find, I dont care for the aluminum much either.....
but I liked that blower!!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:28 PM
cummins driver

Well, I wasnt going to say in case i decide to sell it, but $75 is what i paid for it shipped to me. [8D] I see stock 3906 E-Maxx's go for $150 all the time on ebay. This one should be worth around $200 IMO.

You guys think I did alright? Unfortunately if I sell it, it wont be going that cheap

Also, I just ran the two old 2400mah NiMh batteries that came in the truck. They both took almost exactly 2400mah(their rated capacity), and they ran the truck for around 12-15 minutes with decent power. They may be better after i use them some, but im just happy they worked at all. They will probably work longer crawling around in 1st gear. I also got an old NiCd charger with it, but havent tried them yet. I got a proline chevy truck body with a cut out for the blower too.

Eric
Old 11-23-2010, 08:46 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Well, I wasnt going to say in case i decide to sell it, but $75 is what i paid for it shipped to me. [8D] I see stock 3906 E-Maxx's go for $150 all the time on ebay. This one should be worth around $200 IMO.

You guys think I did alright? Unfortunately if I sell it, it wont be going that cheap

Also, I just ran the two old 2400mah NiMh batteries that came in the truck. They both took almost exactly 2400mah(their rated capacity), and they ran the truck for around 12-15 minutes with decent power. They may be better after i use them some, but im just happy they worked at all. They will probably work longer crawling around in 1st gear. I also got an old NiCd charger with it, but havent tried them yet. I got a proline chevy truck body with a cut out for the blower too.

Eric
that there be a great deal.
Once saw a guy at the LHS that bought a shelf queen completely Integied out T-maxx for $120 it even had a brand new shiny 3.3 in it.

Personally I'd keep it for that price.
Maybe sell the HPI ESC , and get the traxxas one I saw a few on ebay under $50 earlier when looking for deals. And sell the the aluminum arms, and replace em with RPM's. But thats just what I'd do.
The tranny alone I seen going for $50
Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 PM
cummins driver

I have sold 2 of these transmissions now. One for $45 and one for $50. One I had bought for $45 a while before that. The other came off a roller 3906 e-maxx I bought that also had a full set of CVD's. I bought the roller for $35 shipped, and parted it out and ended up making about $75 on that truck.

This is one of the better deals i have ran across though. It was completely rtr with batteries and charger for that price and needs nothing really. Id like to upgrade the steering servo though. I like the looks of the Arms, but they make the truck so heavy. Its slowing it down and hurting run time Im sure. Id almost just put stock arms on it because they are so cheap. I like the ESC pretty well really. I have another one just like it with the matching motors in a drawer. They are pretty easy to waterproof, and my other one has already been waterproofed and has traxxas connectors, so ill probably just throw that in.

Eric
Old 11-23-2010, 09:30 PM
cummins driver

Some pics I took. Just realized all my stuff is dirty. lol
Old 11-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Vegerito
My Feedback: (11)

now i see why you werent interested in trading... lol loser! haha where do you find deals like this ? i cant even trade my stupid aftershock for a stock wheely king hahah
Old 11-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Smiff 24

I know what ya mean Vegerito,
When I want something nobody has em and the price is high,
When I wanna sell something everybody has em and you cant givem away!
Old 11-24-2010, 04:30 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: Vegerito

now i see why you werent interested in trading... lol loser! haha where do you find deals like this ? i cant even trade my stupid aftershock for a stock wheely king hahah
lol. Eh, I just didnt really need an aftershock. I have a savage to take care of that. The E-Maxx will be more of a mud/water/crawling truck for me. My brushless truck wont do that because I dont want to ruin the electronics Its hard to find deals like this, but if you keep your eyes open you can find them sometimes.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Smiff 24

Thats a pretty detailed blower,do you know what kind it is or where it came from ?
Looks hobby grade.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:33 PM
cummins driver

Im not sure what kind of blower it is, but it does look fairly detailed.

I took the truck out and ran it today. It has been doing well. I have made a couple changes. I swapped some stock E-Maxx tires back onto it, as i thought they fit the truck and my use for it better I also put 14t pinions on the motors for a better ratio off road. I put the receiver in a balloon and swapped on an HPI GT ESC that i already had traxxas connectors on, and waterproofed it, so the truck is pretty waterproof now. I found out the receiver was pretty much bad. It has had interference and very short range since i got it. Today however, it got down to about 5 feet of range. I had to follow the truck right behind it to run, which wasnt exactly fun, however I put another receiver in it, and its fixed now. [8D] Also, the steering servo seems to be on its last leg. It still works, but I think a new servo may be in order. I also broke the front aluminum body posts today, so ill be replacing them with the stock pieces.

Anyways, I have some pictures of me and my father in law's 3905 running in the creek today. Had a lot of fun and run time is real good with the lower gearing. Id like to lock the differentials, but we'll see. I was extremely surprised at how it did on the slick rock how it is though. The picture with it coming up that steep part in the creek, it pulled right up several times without much spinning at all. [8D]

Eric
Old 11-27-2010, 12:02 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Im not sure what kind of blower it is, but it does look fairly detailed.

I took the truck out and ran it today. It has been doing well. I have made a couple changes. I swapped some stock E-Maxx tires back onto it, as i thought they fit the truck and my use for it better I also put 14t pinions on the motors for a better ratio off road. I put the receiver in a balloon and swapped on an HPI GT ESC that i already had traxxas connectors on, and waterproofed it, so the truck is pretty waterproof now. I found out the receiver was pretty much bad. It has had interference and very short range since i got it. Today however, it got down to about 5 feet of range. I had to follow the truck right behind it to run, which wasnt exactly fun, however I put another receiver in it, and its fixed now. [8D] Also, the steering servo seems to be on its last leg. It still works, but I think a new servo may be in order. I also broke the front aluminum body posts today, so ill be replacing them with the stock pieces.

Anyways, I have some pictures of me and my father in law's 3905 running in the creek today. Had a lot of fun and run time is real good with the lower gearing. Id like to lock the differentials, but we'll see. I was extremely surprised at how it did on the slick rock how it is though. The picture with it coming up that steep part in the creek, it pulled right up several times without much spinning at all. [8D]

Eric
I swear man you have all the fun places to run near you.

Looks like you had some fun
Old 11-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

looks like you had a good time. Wish I could find something like that cheap and used around here....would be a blast to do exactly what you're doing!! although all the water is frozen here right now....
Old 11-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Smiff 24

I think youve answered everybodys question who posts....
How to clean my car ?
Old 11-28-2010, 12:37 AM
cummins driver

Thanks guys. It was a lot of fun running in the creek. Although im still getting water out of the tires. lol Gonna have to plug those holes in the rims. I thought about making this truck more powerful with a 775 or brushless, but there is no point. I have a strong brushless truck, and I dont need to turn this one into a money pit. lol Its a lot of fun how its set up and run time is good on NiMh, so ill probably do some hill climbing, and water/mud running with it more than anything.

It also cleaned the truck really good. Surprising how well it cleaned it playing in the water. haha

Eric