Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Product Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 12:02 AM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Product Quality?

Are these products (specifically brushless ESC'c and brushless motors) from this place any good??? The only reason I was looking at them is because of the price. Heres the link:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/
Old 11-24-2010, 12:10 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Product Quality?

I've ordered 2 35A HW ESC's,1 60A HW ESC(gotta get another), a 150A HW ESC all from them. I also got a Flysky 2channel controller, a few flysky receivers(I own the 3channel 8 model controller too), and 2 1300mah 15C sky lipos for my Merv off them.

Only questionable ESC I know they sell is the leopard. Only reason I find it questionable is they don't list the specs (well last time I checked) so you have no idea if for $60 your getting a 35A or a 60A ESC.

Alot of people say the Tacon BL motors are good too. I was gonna buy one but they never seem to have the KV I need at the time I order so I always end up EZ-run
Old 11-24-2010, 12:20 AM
thehuntingterminator

so they are reliable products for the price???
Old 11-24-2010, 12:27 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

so they are reliable products for the price???
I like the Hobbywing ESC's more than I like my castle system. So in my book they are well worth it. Currently they are the only BL ESC I will buy.

Batteries are meh. Hobbyking has better ones for similar pricing. Only thing hobbypartz wins out on is shipping there. Only reason I got the 2 sky lipos is because they were dirt cheap for my merv($13.90 shipped). VS HK's were $14 a pop + shipping.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:28 AM
thehuntingterminator

so the higher the KV reading, the more power???
Old 11-24-2010, 12:38 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

so the higher the KV reading, the more power???
yes and no.
Higher kv rating = more RPM's basically
RPM = KV x Voltage
the KV rating depends on the application. Onroad RC's that you are running on 2S or 6cell NiMh higher KV rated motors can be used.
Off-roads are generally lower KV rated motors are used.

Higher KV motors you generally have to gear lower, and lower KV rated motors you can gear up higher.
Best bet would be to read the sticky on gearing

There are other factors involved like Amperage of the setup for motor use
Old 11-24-2010, 12:39 AM
thehuntingterminator

i think i'm just gonna pay the extra 30 bucks and go with the waterproof vxl system
Old 11-24-2010, 12:53 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

only issue with the VXL is I hear the lipo cutoff is flaky, and non-adjustable.
I like being able to whip out my card, and just hitting a few buttons instead of having to listen to count beeps, counting flashing LED's, and pray I got the setting right
Old 11-24-2010, 01:05 AM
thehuntingterminator

yeah, but i don't use lipo yet. and its traxxas and waterproof, so it sounds good to me!
Old 11-24-2010, 05:09 AM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

btw the ezruns are water resistant.

My friend ran his ezrun out in the wet and rain with no shell and his ezrun is still fine to this day.

I was meh with it and i stilll am but hey...
Old 11-24-2010, 05:23 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont mean to hijack someones thread but any motor/esc combos out there that will have my tamiya tb03 hit 55mph or more with out to much heat build up and for a good price. I have a 35a ezrun 9t motor with 3s and after 30 seconds of running it is very hot, using stock low gearing. I think that the 370 rotor and 35 amps just cannot keep the car at 50mph so i think it needs to go.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:38 AM
cooldriver385

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I like being able to whip out my card, and just hitting a few buttons instead of having to listen to count beeps, counting flashing LED's, and pray I got the setting right

That's my ONLY problem with getting the VXL system. I feel I may want to go Lipo but the ESC just may not cut it off for me at the right time. Would it just be a good idea to stop running when you are seeing a tad decrease in performance?

And do the lipos run well in the MERV? And does it cutoff for you at a good time?
Old 11-24-2010, 10:48 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: cooldriver385

That's my ONLY problem with getting the VXL system. I feel I may want to go Lipo but the ESC just may not cut it off for me at the right time. Would it just be a good idea to stop running when you are seeing a tad decrease in performance?

And do the lipos run well in the MERV? And does it cutoff for you at a good time?
lol my Merv is not stock.
I got as a roller and slapped a 35A EZ-run in it with a cutoff set to 3.4v, and run the traxxas motor in it
I would have been smarter just to buy it RTR in the end with how much I spent on it (didn't know that it only took 380 sized motors unless a pile of mods were done )
I've only ran the merv like 2 times too due to stuff I have going on, and bad weather...

HAddi might want to try a 60A combo with the .5 sized motors they should bring your temps down a bit hopefully.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:34 PM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, the ezrun 8.5t or 5.5t will give you tons more torque.

also the xerun sensored systems will be the same, 5.5t and 8.5t

and the tacon motors will be good for speed too.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:20 PM
yotaman1991

In over 400+ battery runs my brother in law and my traxxas vxl escs do their jos flawlessly. On 2s we do not really use 3s on them.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:39 PM
FahrtAutoRC

I run a stock Velineon 3500 and VXL and 2s LiPo at the track three times a week without a hitch so far...
Old 11-24-2010, 09:04 PM
thehuntingterminator

yeah, i would love to have lipos, but i would rather spend my money expanding my collection first, and then maybe some lipos
Old 11-24-2010, 09:18 PM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

get a good power source "lipo" because ya can use it in any of your vehicles as your collection grows
Old 11-24-2010, 09:26 PM
thehuntingterminator

yeah i think i would go with 2s because you can run it in the vxl system and the xl-5
Old 11-25-2010, 12:46 AM
Haddi Taha

how do the full sized ezrun rotors compare to castle sidewinder? I figured that the 8.5t is equivelant to the 4600kv version and the 5.5t equivelant to the 5700kv. do the castle sidewinder esc have adjustable timing? thanks
Old 11-25-2010, 02:28 AM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

how do the full sized ezrun rotors compare to castle sidewinder? I figured that the 8.5t is equivelant to the 4600kv version and the 5.5t equivelant to the 5700kv. do the castle sidewinder esc have adjustable timing? thanks
the castle 4600 has alot more torque than either of those ezrun motors.

the ezrun motors accept higher gearing without getting white hot unlike the castle motors

The sidewinder esc does have adjustible timing,throttle and brake curve and punch control.

Old 11-25-2010, 08:37 AM
ScottStaypuff

ORIGINAL: cooldriver385

Would it just be a good idea to stop running when you are seeing a tad decrease in performance?

Absolutely! When lipos start getting flat they don't have much juice left and you're quickly approaching the danger zone. They drop off very quickly so you should pretty easily notice.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:46 AM
Haddi Taha

putting the yeah racing tornado fans will make a differnce on the ezruns heat build up so i think i will get oneof those with a ezrun combo. now to decide 8.5t or 5.5t
Old 11-27-2010, 03:59 AM
ausjethro

I've ordered 2 35A HW ESC's,1 60A HW ESC(gotta get another), a 150A HW ESC all from them. I also got a Flysky 2channel controller, a few flysky receivers(I own the 3channel 8 model controller too), and 2 1300mah 15C sky lipos for my Merv off them.

Only questionable ESC I know they sell is the leopard. Only reason I find it questionable is they don't list the specs (well last time I checked) so you have no idea if for $60 your getting a 35A or a 60A ESC.

Alot of people say the Tacon BL motors are good too. I was gonna buy one but they never seem to have the KV I need at the time I order so I always end up EZ-run
I've used EZ-run(and XE-run sensored)ESC's from 35AMP to 120AMP sizes over the past couple of years-mainly because of the attractive price.Having said that,I have been impressed with their reliability and performance as well as the programming options.The main one I use is the 80AMP size which seems to suit my short course trucks and the motors I use-3500KV to 5700KV.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:44 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: ausjethro

I've used EZ-run(and XE-run sensored)ESC's from 35AMP to 120AMP sizes over the past couple of years-mainly because of the attractive price.Having said that,I have been impressed with their reliability and performance as well as the programming options.The main one I use is the 80AMP size which seems to suit my short course trucks and the motors I use-3500KV to 5700KV.
good to hear
only product hobby wing made that I was disappointed in was their 1200kv 35A motor. That sucker cogged like no tomorrow in any application I tried it in, and I went to a crawler forum and the people there said the same thing about it.
Other than that one motor I've had no issues with their gear

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.