Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

brushless setup for scrt10

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 02:50 AM
amen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brushless setup for scrt10

Ok just recently converted my scrt10 to buggy, but dont know what i should choose for a BL setup.
I tried a velineon 3500 with a vxl esc, at stock gearing with 3s 5000Mah 30c lipo, and 1/8 buggy tires but after many runs temps reached 170's. I cant gear down pinion is already a 13t.
keep in mind i want to keep the vxl esc, and that my motor mount is the clamp down type with the oval shape to it, which limits me to 36mm diam.
So;
Do I get a 36x50, 36x74 can with less KV; say somewhere in the 2200 range on 3s and gear up, or
stay with the velineon on 2s and gear up??
thanks[8D]
Old 11-26-2010, 12:23 PM
FoamyVictim

Default RE: brushless setup for scrt10

You could be under-geared. Have you tried a bigger pinon?
Old 11-29-2010, 09:47 AM
amen

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

I havent tried it yet,but i guess its worth a shot!!
Old 11-30-2010, 01:02 PM
FoamyVictim

Electric motors make the bulk of their power in torque. They make the most torque at very low RPMs. Sometimes you have to find the "Sweet Spot" in a different place than you'd expect.
Old 12-23-2010, 04:39 AM
Nitrohobbiest
My Feedback: (22)

How does this reduce temps? Higher gear ratios ALWAYS result in more heat. It creates more load to reach a higher speed and therefore more heat created to do the work required.

I think the 3S scenario is the issue. The VXL is not a great choice to run on 3s even though it says it can handle it. They just can't handle extended runs. Some may argue that but I have had plenty of fellow RC'ers run 3s and blow 'em up. I avoid it on all my 1/10th scale systems.
I would definitely try: 2s with a larger pinion, or a lower KV motor, largest spur, smallest pinion (12T?) with the 3s. I don't know how low kv you can go in a 36mm can ( I've never heard of a 2200 but that's just me) but you can go lower than 3500. The next step would be the upgraded motor mount and jump to an 1/8th scale motor with low kv. Watch the temps on the VXL if you do that. Not even sure it can handle it although it probably can on 2s.

Where do you run a SC truck on 3s type speeds anyhow?
Old 12-23-2010, 06:44 AM
yoyo5

Some times if its geared to low then the motor has to try harder to move it and then creates extra heat. 3500kv is very low and should be good seing i have a 4600kv motor on 3s that is geared 19\86 and it runs cool(but it is about -15c out side. lower kv is not needed unless he wants 2200kv on 4s or 6s
ORIGINAL: Nitrohobbiest

How does this reduce temps? Higher gear ratios ALWAYS result in more heat. It creates more load to reach a higher speed and therefore more heat created to do the work required.

I think the 3S scenario is the issue. The VXL is not a great choice to run on 3s even though it says it can handle it. They just can't handle extended runs. Some may argue that but I have had plenty of fellow RC'ers run 3s and blow 'em up. I avoid it on all my 1/10th scale systems.
I would definitely try: 2s with a larger pinion, or a lower KV motor, largest spur, smallest pinion (12T?) with the 3s. I don't know how low kv you can go in a 36mm can ( I've never heard of a 2200 but that's just me) but you can go lower than 3500. The next step would be the upgraded motor mount and jump to an 1/8th scale motor with low kv. Watch the temps on the VXL if you do that. Not even sure it can handle it although it probably can on 2s.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:13 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Nitrohobbiest

Because if the motor is wound out at its max RPM with a gear ratio that's too low, it will create excess heat.

Going from a 24/81 to a 24/78 in the SC10, for example, ThunderbirdJunkie saw a motor that went from being hotter than hell after a 5 minute qual to one he could hold his thumb on the entire walk from the driver's stand to the pits.

We are not talking about 1997 and Trinity D2s and Sanyo 2000 cells.