Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Need ESC help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:42 AM
TechyJoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need ESC help

Hi All

I purchased a Castle Creations Sidewinder 1/10 to put into my RC snowmobile and it burned up...... I am really ticked. I picked this ESC up because it was suppose to be good and be able to handle a large amount of current.

My motor is a Himax 380 (28mm - small motor), 400 Watt, 4000kv and I was using 2200mah, 35C, 3S packs.

The snowmobile is small - no larger then 14"-15".

However, my gear ratio is also small: about 4:1

Almost immediately, the ESC and motor starting hesitating and became jerky after a few minutes of driving......

What gives? Was it defective?

Now I need to buy a new one and I'm not sure if I want to take the risk of purchasing another Sidewinder.

I think in my next attempt, I will use 7.4v 2s lipo packs.

Anyone have a good suggestion for another ESC which ranges between $75-$100

Thanks
Old 12-02-2010, 11:46 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Need ESC help

even tho your gearing is low, it still takes alot to turn a snow mobile track, even on the smaller sleds.
1st, i would reccomend a 540 sized brushless motor. one in the 2000-3000kv range. nice and low, lots of torque.

as for the ESC burning up, it shouldnt have IMO. unless it overheated. if the esc is completely inclosed in the sled it could have heated up quickly.

but still, they should replace it for you for free.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:22 PM
TechyJoe

nitrosportsandrunner

Thanks for the fast reply.

However, a 540 won't fit, it's too big. But I am going to by another Himax 380 but this time I'll go with the 2300kv.

I think I'm also going to purchase the Traxxas Velineon ESC - the one for their 1/18 scale car and then use the 2S, 7.4, 25C packs.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:51 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: TechyJoe

nitrosportsandrunner

Thanks for the fast reply.

However, a 540 won't fit, it's too big. But I am going to by another Himax 380 but this time I'll go with the 2300kv.

I think I'm also going to purchase the Traxxas Velineon ESC - the one for their 1/18 scale car and then use the 2S, 7.4, 25C packs.
check the pinion gear mesh. make sure that there wasnt any binding in the drivetrain. that can cause heat build-up really quick.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

If you burned up a Sidewinder, you're going to burn up the Traxxas 1/16 ESC quicker.

4:1 sounds far too tall. ThunderbirdJunkie is running a 9:1 ratio with a 3200kv motor. You REALLY need to gear that thing DOWN, especially on 3S
Old 12-03-2010, 06:30 AM
TechyJoe

Ok, now I see my error:

I finally found the amp spec on the "SideWinder". When I purchased this, I could only find this from the manufacturer: "current - more then you can handle".

Well in fact, the Sidewinder is only rated between 45-55 amps.

With my 3S lipo rated at 2200mha @ 35C and my vehicle geared high, I presume I could have easily exceeded the rating.

2.2 x 35 = 70amps

This is why for my next attemp, I will use the 2S lipo rated at 25C and I'll purchase a larger ESC.

A note on gearing: there is very little room in the snowmobile for gearing so I have to use what I can fit in the space (I am working on this one).

More info on the burnup:

Ruining the ESC was suttle, it wasn't like it melted down or caught fire. In fact, when I put the vehicle away, as far as i know it was still working. It wasn't until I took it out again, that I found it no longer working. So after taking the cover off and removing the ESC, I could smell that it had an electrical issue.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:51 AM
J.D.T

are you limited in motor length? you can get 380s in 47, 57 and 67 mm lengths if I remember right, I agree you ain't got enough gear switching to a lower kv motor may help some but I suspect your gonna need much more than 4:1. Can you change the spur or just the pinion?
Old 12-03-2010, 07:09 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Ok, now I see my error:

I finally found the amp spec on the ''SideWinder''. When I purchased this, I could only find this from the manufacturer: ''current - more then you can handle''.

With my 3S lipo rated at 2200mha @ 35C and my vehicle geared high, I presume I could have easily exceeded the rating.

2.2 x 35 = 70amps

This is why for my next attemp, I will use the 2S lipo rated at 25C and I'll purchase a larger ESC.

A note on gearing: there is very little room in the snowmobile for gearing so I have to use what I can fit in the space (I am working on this one).

More info on the burnup:

Ruining the ESC was suttle, it wasn't like it melted down or caught fire. In fact, when I put the vehicle away, as far as i know it was still working. It wasn't until I took it out again, that I found it no longer working. So after taking the cover off and removing the ESC, I could smell that it had an electrical issue.
The battery did not kill the speed control.

Just because your battery can supply 70a doesn't mean it's always PUSHING 70a through the ESC.

You simply killed it with gearing. 4:1 is too tall. Heat is bad. did you ever check the speed control temps?
Old 12-03-2010, 07:19 AM
LewAshby
Banned

RC Snowmobile?
Old 12-03-2010, 08:44 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Ok, now I see my error:

I finally found the amp spec on the ''SideWinder''. When I purchased this, I could only find this from the manufacturer: ''current - more then you can handle''.

2.2 x 35 = 70amps

More info on the burnup:

The battery did not kill the speed control.

Just because your battery can supply 70a doesn't mean it's always PUSHING 70a through the ESC.

You simply killed it with gearing. 4:1 is too tall. Heat is bad. did you ever check the speed control temps?
agree 100%

Think like this your household electric in most rooms is 15A's max. It doesn't mean your cell phone charger is pulling 15A's when its charging your phone.
Electronics will only pull what they can use.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:22 PM
TechyJoe

I don't own a temp meter but I did do several touch test...... Never seemed to really get that hot that I know of.

The snowmobile cover is hard to remove - lots of screws - so maybe by the time I got it off, it had time to cool down - but I doupt this.

The more I read, the more I think the ESC was defective.

When I first modified the snowmobile, I used the stock gear box which was 8:1, until the motor chewed up the nylon gear train and the ESC still displayed the same symptoms: after a few minutes of run time, it became jerky and hesitant.

I have read on this forum, folks running 4x4 buggies and SC trucks with large Kv motors and they stated the SideWinder works great.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:24 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Yes, but it's not enclosed with no air flow in SC trucks and buggies. ThunderbirdJunkie has abused his Sidewinder and it's even been temped at 170 degrees and it hasn't failed.

You have to do something stupid to fry a Sidewinder.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:27 PM
TechyJoe

ok, thanks for the info:

I'll try better on my next attempt.

Funny that "RC CAR Action" magazine recently stated that "electric" is easier then nitro. This may be the case if you buy RTR but when developing a vehicle from scratch - they are way wrong..... There is sooooo much to consider.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:28 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Electric never has been and never will be easier than nitro in any way, ITBJHO.