Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

jump designs

Old 12-05-2010, 08:50 PM
godofcable
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jump designs

So I race indoors at a local track. its about a 125' run line oval, which they rearrange to include a chicane for Vintage Trans Am, and short course. see the video below to see the track...

i'm looking to build a jump for the straight section. Almost a double, whereas with a good run up you could clear both. the back of the second ramp will have a landing platform, and you would be able to jump up the front of the second ramp if you didn't have enough momentum to carry it after going off the first ramp.

the track in the section i want to put the jump is 12' wide. the space is actually a gym in an old school, that still gets used for other purposes, so we have to tear down the track every week, and roll up the carpet. So I'm thinking 2 6' wide jumps set side by side will be more maneuverable. I was thinking a tabletop jump would be perfect, except we need to be able to move it off the track when the other classes run.

What i don't know is the angles. I know we want some height, maybe 4' vertical flight, but trying to figure out all the angles is proving to be a pain. should the face be curved or straight? how long/high should it be? These sorts of things are the toughest to determine. I think it will come down to experimentation, building something quick to try, and make adjustments based on how it performs.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone knows of any sites out there that offer decent plans for a ramp of this type.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCqoO...layer_embedded

Old 12-06-2010, 07:56 AM
FoamyVictim

Default RE: jump designs

We use dirt, so its easy to "fix" a jump if it seems to "fling" the cars rather than fly them. The primary trick, is NOT too much curve. The thing will go nose up, and never land right. You want to base the height and angle on how high and far you want the car to fly. Best way to figure it out, is experiment. Take a piece of the material you plan to use, and prop it up in position. Run the RC at the speed it will hit the ramp, and test it. You might need to raise or lower it. I suggest you only use a curved face if you want lots of altitude. If you want the RCs to jump low and fast, use a straight/flat ramp face.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:58 PM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make a whoops section.

Just get lots of small bits of timber that are around 2" wide and 0.5" tall.

place them about 12" apart and you got whoops.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Im only experienced in making snowboarding ramps..... Not much help.