Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Evader DT vs SC10 vs Mini Trophy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Raguvian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evader DT vs SC10 vs Mini Trophy?

Hey guys,

I'm going to order a new truck in the next few weeks and I need some input/advice.

I saw the Duratrax Evader DT and really, really liked it and was pretty set on getting it, but then I realized that the Associated SC10 that I've always wanted was only $8 more (the Duratrax is cheaper but I'd get the bearings and the nitro Evader aluminum idler gear). I also saw the HPI Mini Trophy truck, and now I'm very confused as to what to get.

I already have some 2S, 30C, 4000 mah lipo batteries coming, and whatever truck I get will have a Sidewinder 5700kv motor put into it. I'd like to know which truck will be able to handle that speed and power most effectively.

I plan on using the truck in the forest mainly. There are some jumps as well as a lot of fun trails to drive on. I also may want to take the truck to the track.

My favorite truck looks wise is the HPI, and I like its 4x4, but I don't know how durable it is. I think the Evader DT looks pretty goofy but Duratrax parts are cheap and they have the one year warranty.

The SC10 seems pretty standard, and I know that it's a pretty rugged, bulletproof truck. I just don't really know which truck to get.

Thanks in advance for any input!
Old 12-11-2010, 04:09 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Evader DT vs SC10 vs Mini Trophy?

Get the SC10, its a better truck than the evader for sure. The HPI is more of a display piece, it probably wont be around very long.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:43 PM
hasek1616

if youre going to be going on trails and offroad (loose stuff, i presume) then go with the hpi because its 4wd and will do much better in those situations, but you may want to tweak te suspension for juping as i think its a bit soft out of the box, other that that i guess its a pretty durable car, its just a bit of a handful to work on because of the integrated roll cage
Old 12-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Raguvian

Thanks for the replies.

I did some more research and found that the batteries are hard to change out on the Mini Trophy Truck, and read that it's a general pain to work on due to the roll cage.

I think I'll go with the Blitz. From what I've read, the SC10 isn't as durable and is more suited for racing, whereas the Blitz is good for bashing and decent on the track as well.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:14 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

SC10, hands down. Better parts availability, tougher than the Evader, and there's a class to race it.
Old 12-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Raguvian

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

SC10, hands down. Better parts availability, tougher than the Evader, and there's a class to race it.
Do you feel it's more durable than the Blitz? I really am not a fan of how the Blitz looks.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:20 AM
proanti1

No, the blitz hands down is a tougher truck. Not better than the sc10... just tougher.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:33 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Raguvian

Do you feel it's more durable than the Blitz? I really am not a fan of how the Blitz looks.
Not necessarily.
ORIGINAL: proanti1

No, the blitz hands down is a tougher truck. Not better than the sc10... just tougher.
Evidence?
Old 12-12-2010, 08:20 AM
proanti1

My friends RTR blitz puts up with a lot more than my SC10 does. Both of them break, his just seems to take harder hits, and breaks a lot less axle carriers... I can only imagine how strong the ESE is (will be finding out soon once i decide to order one).
Old 12-12-2010, 08:25 AM
cumquat

Evidence?
they make the savage, how can it not be?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Krazy Chicken

i just want to point out your obvious brand loyalty

Old 12-12-2010, 09:53 AM
hasek1616

where does the brand loyalty come in on that post? i cant seem to figure it out. he said that the blitz has a tougher truck, but that it wasnt as good (racing wise, i assume) as the sc10, and then he backed it up with personal experience, it checks out with me

edit: in the beginning of this thread he even recommended the sc10, still not sure where you see all this brand loyalty in his post
Old 12-12-2010, 03:18 PM
Krazy Chicken

it is a common misinterpretation that the sc10 is weak. you cant compare cars by how your friends drive v.s. you. every one drives different. the only way you can compare durability is by owning both of them and driving the exactly the same.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:22 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

My friends RTR blitz puts up with a lot more than my SC10 does. Both of them break, his just seems to take harder hits, and breaks a lot less axle carriers... I can only imagine how strong the ESE is (will be finding out soon once i decide to order one).
How on EARTH do you break axle carriers on an Associated car?

Going back a decade and a half, that's something ThunderbirdJunkie has never broken.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Scottgir

You can IMAGINE how tough the ESE is, but IF you actually buy it, you'll find out it's a fantasy. The ESE is basically a rigid version of the RTR blitz (plus all the other racing features like better shocks, ball diffs etc) but for overall "toughness" it's not there.

Rigid = better handling but MUCH more brittle (ese's have been known to crack in half LOL)

Get an SC10 with the front chassis brace or get a regular blitz. If you want great performance AND strength, either of those will be good to go. The SC10 only has one weak spot in reality, the front of the chassis. If you get the brace, the SC10 is as strong as any other truck.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:57 PM
proanti1

God... personal preference, lay off. We trade back and forth all day, crap breaks. I have associated cars, and HPI cars. According to the people that actually own the ESE down at the track, its a good truck that gives them no issues. I will be racing, not bashing with the ESE, so the brittleness is perfectly fine. The SC10 is getting a bit worn out. I break most of the axle carriers by sliding into other cars, or sliding into this flat pylon thing at the local track. I would go with aluminum, but the bearings always end up getting seized in them, or the ball stud breaks off in the shock tower.

Loyalty... anyone who is excessively loyal to a toy manufacturing company needs to get their head checked.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Casper06

Buy Traxxas they are the best because my mom told me so!!

In all seriousness don't get a Traxxas.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:44 AM
godofcable
My Feedback: (4)

and to your "dont get a traxxas"..i have 2 slashes, and only one broken part due to my stupidity...and i race them every week, currently holding first in my points standings.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:48 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

But you would be faster with an SC10 or Ultima SC or Blitz, correct?

Are you one of those guys that's only first in points because you attend every race and finish midpack? [&:]
Old 12-14-2010, 08:49 AM
godofcable

ahaha...no..

in four weeks, i have 2 firsts, a second, and a third.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:51 AM
godofcable

http://www.youtube.com/user/godofcable111?feature=mhum

check out my channel for weekly race videos....i'm the black #25 slash
Old 12-14-2010, 09:29 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Of course slashes are gonna win if that's all that are present

Carpet, small track, booooooooooooooring[&:] dirt is for racin', carpet's for living rooms
Old 12-14-2010, 09:39 AM
godofcable

:self edit:

just blocked the user. all good. sorry guys
Old 12-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Scottgir

God... personal preference, lay off. We trade back and forth all day, crap breaks. I have associated cars, and HPI cars. According to the people that actually own the ESE down at the track, its a good truck that gives them no issues. I will be racing, not bashing with the ESE, so the brittleness is perfectly fine. The SC10 is getting a bit worn out. I break most of the axle carriers by sliding into other cars, or sliding into this flat pylon thing at the local track. I would go with aluminum, but the bearings always end up getting seized in them, or the ball stud breaks off in the shock tower.

Loyalty... anyone who is excessively loyal to a toy manufacturing company needs to get their head checked.
My response about the ESE was because I was responding to the OP saying there would be some bashing. If you're only racing, DEFINITELY get the ESE. It's a phenomenal race truck.

PS I'm not loyal to any manufacturer other than the one that puts out the best PROVEN product for it's application.

If you're going to race. SC10, Blitz ESE (and the non ese based on budget because the regular blitz is still very capable), Ultima SC and I will throw in the XXX-SCT because in it's early showings, it's doing well and it's based on a proven platform (like the other 3 I mentioned)

If you're going to race and bash, I'd say the blitz and the SC10 if you reinforce the front of the chassis

If you're only bashin, get the slash (unless you're running spec class or want to dump money into LOTS of hop ups, then have at it).

I'm not anti-slash, but it's design is inferior for racing. Period. If you argue that, it's because you're either a fanboy or you have ZERO idea what center of gravity does to a race car.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Raguvian

Hey guys, thanks for all the input!

I really don't like the Slash, so that wasn't even considered. The only Traxxas I'd get would be the Mini E-Revo VXL.

I ended up going with the Blitz, for a couple of reasons:

It's $15 cheaper than the cheapest SC10 (and I wasn't a fan of the cheapest SC10's paint scheme, so there wasn't a huge difference in looks), the Blitz seems to be slightly tougher out of the box, and the Blitz uses hex drive instead of the pin drive (which I really hated on my RC10GT).

I'm sure both trucks are a ton of fun, and both are probably better than the Evader DT I was considering!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.