Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help with 1st RC

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:37 PM
godofcable
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help with 1st RC

don't get me wrong, i still have a blast with the brushed. i race it in a stock class at the local track.

but around the house bashing, its all about the brushless.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:38 PM
thehuntingterminator

oh yeah, i totally agree with you. i have a bandit vxl and my rustler xl-5 is still just as fun and alot better for off-road
Old 12-17-2010, 05:27 AM
BAMAchubby

How much faster is the stock Slash VXl compared to the stock Slash???
Old 12-17-2010, 05:33 AM
godofcable

the stock slash does about 30. the stock VXL does about 45. but, you can make a stock slash do 45 with gearing and Lipo. on the same note, a stock VXL will do 60+ with gearing and Lipo, so...
Old 12-17-2010, 05:39 AM
cooldriver385

After about 20-50 runs of a brushed motor they're pretty much shot. Brushless, you've got a long way ahead than that. The Rustler is VERY hard to control if it's brushless and with lipo. It's basically an electric Jato. That's the thing about STs (Stadium Trucks) is that they're RWD so nothing pulls the front. You're just gonna fish-tail all over the place unless you've got good throttle control. A 2WD Slash should be alright though, it's got a higher center of gravity so it should take off straighter than a Rustler or Jato. Monster trucks, 2WD or not, pretty much always have good control on take off. When it comes to stopping, sometimes it can be a bit difficult.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:58 AM
godofcable

if you're only getting 20-50 runs, doesn't sound like you're breaking in the motor properly.

I put the car on a stand to keep the wheels up, and turn the throttle trim up just enough to get the wheels turning. i run a full battery like that. then I put another battery in, and repeat. run the full battery through it with the throttle trim up just enough to get the wheels to spin. afterward, oil the bushings.

you should also oil the bushings after every few runs, some people do it after every run, but you can get away with doing it every few runs.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:41 AM
thehuntingterminator

just to let you know, you won't be breaking any speed records with the Slash, but its still tons of fun!
Old 12-17-2010, 10:00 AM
guys2nv

I absolutely punished the stock titan in my slash 2wd before i went brushless but still ran strong when i took it out and my buddy is still running it in his 6yr old's rusty.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:03 AM
thehuntingterminator

yeah they're great motors if geared right, its just they are overly sensitive to gearing
Old 12-17-2010, 10:11 AM
guys2nv

Yeah i had it stock gearing the whole time and from the get go it was in snow and water and cleaned it occas. and worked fine.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:33 AM
thehuntingterminator

Yeah, but i wouldn't suggest the Slash 4x4 for any kind of mudding. Its known for its high maintenance drivetrain and water and mud will only add to that affect. The 2WD uses a much better tranny, the magnum 272.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:51 AM
MrStinky

I'd say the brushless 2wdslash is the way to go. You can get em cheap on tower hobbies right now. I think 310 with free shipping and the discount.That's well worth the extra $ for the brushless since that costs about $150 to do later down the road (not just the motor and esc, but other heavy duty drivetrain parts as well). No brainer if you ask me. If you going to run them in tall grass, look atthe Stampedemonster truck or something like that. They have more ground clearance, but a higher center of gravity, so they tend to flip over much easier, especially at high speeds w/ a vxl
Old 12-17-2010, 01:30 PM
thehuntingterminator

the new ones use the same exact drivetrain, the XL-5 and VXL use all the same parts, so no upgrade needed there, but its still cheaper to buy the VXL to start with