Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help with 1st RC

Old 12-14-2010, 10:09 AM
BAMAchubby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with 1st RC

Me and my Dad are looking into getting our 1st RC trucks...right now we are looking into getting the Slash or the Blitz...we both like that the Slash comes complete with battery/charger, etc...also that the Slash is waterproof...what is your guys opinion about the Slash compared to the Blitz...will mostly doing bashing...I am also concerened with the ability to upgrade either one of them, is it possible to make them run faster once we get the hang of using them???

Also thinking about the E-Firestorm jsut to throw that in too...am I comparing apples to oranges then???

Thanks for all of your help
Old 12-14-2010, 10:14 AM
godofcable
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Help with 1st RC

welcome to the obsession, i mean the hobby. I can speak to the Slash question, as thats what I have.

I race my Slash, as well as run it around the house off jumps, curbs, stairs..(otherwise known as bashing)

It holds up great. Nothing broken, it really takes a beating.

to the question of upgrading, there are several options. you can buy new motor/esc combos that'll make it as fast as you want, it all depends on your budget. I for one went with the Traxxas Velineon brushless setup. Plenty of speed for where I run it.

Your best bet is to poke around these forums and ask questions. There's a wealth of knowledge on here.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:26 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One piece of advise.
Buy a better charger.
The included charger is a wall transformer, and doesn't have peak detection. It will trash your batteries pretty fast(like under 20 runs).
Buy a $50 charger, they sell some decent chargers that will do peak charging on NiMh's (cutoff once the voltage peaks), and lipos (incase you make the jump) for $50 at hobbypartz.com. A NiMh only charger costs $45 for a decent one so you might as well throw in the few bucks more.

Can't say anything else because I don't own any of the trucks you named, but I've heard good things about the ones you listed.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:38 PM
guys2nv

Since your mainly bashing i would say slash plus it's waterproof and alotta fun w/ a brushless system (although the vxl slash 2wd is out-still waterproof). I would def. buy a better charger as syco suggested and since lipo capable chargers from hobbypartz arent that much more then peak style nimh chargers i would get one of those (thunder ac6,skycharger b6ac$55-$60) so you could stick w/ nimh until you decide if you want lipos then you all ready have the charger on hand (2s lipos can be had for as little as $20 a pop) then if you decide to go brushless they can be had for as little as $100 for esc/motor if u buy a brushed slash (hobbywing,castle sc system). Since the slash is based off the rustler/stampede/bandit (tranny,front end parts,arms,) there's allready a wealth of hop ups avail. stay away from integy parts though-those should be reserved for pretty shelf queens-b/c thats about all integy parts are good for. Remember were allways here so dont hesitate to chim in on something your looking at and we'll all give you an honest true opinion.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:38 PM
hasek1616

waterproof is very handy, and it sure is fun to submerge it, but youll want to go brushless if you get any of those choices. if you think youll be running through some deep puddles quite often then go with the slash, if not then go with the firestorm. if you want to race tough then go wit the blitz, or check out the associated sc10
Old 12-14-2010, 02:46 PM
yoyo5

i have the e-fire its awsome. i did get the brushed one and it has good speed but i wanted to upgrade it so i got the mamba max 4600kv combo and i have orderd a 3-cell lipo to go with. the e-fire is bullitproof. i have jumbed it of a 10-foot jump and it was all good. once my batt gets here i will do more testing with the MM (MM means mamba max) . blitz should be good seeing that it is based of the e-fire
Old 12-14-2010, 03:01 PM
4goodbuys2

I have a blitz its a lengthened version of the e firestorm.
the blitz handles great
jumps good
doesn't flip very often
ability to tune every aspect of it
and I bought my rtr new for $150 shipped on sale on tower
I would recommend the blitz rtr

Old 12-14-2010, 03:01 PM
yotaman1991

get the slash 4x4 it is a great allarounder. then get the upgrade from kingheadz for the larger rear bearing. also do some research on lipo batteries and better chargers you will want to go with them in the long run. hobbyking.com has very good prices for batteries and chargers. fyi the slash is not water proof just very water resistant as it is not a submarine.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:35 PM
BAMAchubby

Thanks guys for the responses...Iam gathering from my looking around that one of the main differences with brush/brushless is that brushless is a lot faster...is this true???
I have a lot to learn with regards to batteries...thinking that Ishould stay with slash brushed and then upgrade to the brushless later once I get the hang of it...My LHS is selling it now for $255...

Keep the advice coming!!!!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:13 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: BAMAchubby

Thanks guys for the responses...I am gathering from my looking around that one of the main differences with brush/brushless is that brushless is a lot faster...is this true???
I have a lot to learn with regards to batteries...thinking that I should stay with slash brushed and then upgrade to the brushless later once I get the hang of it...My LHS is selling it now for $255...

Keep the advice coming!!!!
yes brushless is faster.
Brushless also has less maintenance(comm cutting, pads, replacing motors, etc)

Brushes on motors wear out over time, and the RC will slow down accordingly, and tax the battery even more. Eventually you get less run time, and a hell of alot hotter battery after some time with brushed which doesn't happen on brushless.

Brushless you just have to replace the bearings every now and then.

Most people would argue brushed motors are pointless now, but they do still have uses when you need a slow motor, which brushless don't do well unless you get a more expensive sensored setup.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:49 PM
thehuntingterminator

Get the Slash, or that's my opinion. It's waterproof, brushless ready, and not a whole lot more than the Blitz and it includes a 7 cell battery which the Blitz can't even handle with its stock electronics. To be honest, the Blitz probably is a better competition SC truck, but for bashing Slash 2wd beats almost anything. If you like the E-Firestorm, then consider Traxxas's Rustler XL-5. Its a stadium truck too, just a waterproof, ready to run, battery included Traxxas version . The Rustler is a little cheaper than the Slash and E-Firestorm and brushless ready. Whatever you choose, pick Traxxas. They will give you the most reliability and most fun for the price! Hope this helped.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:38 AM
robbiesmechanic

first of all welcome to the hobby..... honestly it doesn't matter what you and your dad get, it yall are doin it together you will have fun. three things you really want to look at is.....1 durability 2.parts availability 3.what are you going to be doing with it (racing or bashing).... everything else will kinda fall into place. good luck. i race a blitz and it works very well for what i do with it
Old 12-15-2010, 10:11 AM
BAMAchubby

I think that we will mostly be doing bashing...there is a course around my neck of the woods though so may be interested in doing that...someone has brought up the Rustler...can the Rustler be raced???

Couple other questions: What does ESC stand for and what is it???
What is the difference between a truck and a buggy handling wise (I don't mean looks)...I see I can get a Bandit VXL for under $300...Do buggies handle better or the SC trucks???
Old 12-15-2010, 11:16 AM
thehuntingterminator

I was the one brought up the Rustler and yes it can be raced in a Stadium Trucks class, or maybe a Short Course, depending on how serious your competition is. ESC= Electronic Speed Controller. It is what give you proportional control on the throttle. A truck is much different than a buggy. Both of them can be either 2wd or 4wd, but a buggy is usually more of a car I guess you could say. And a truck is more of an off-road bashing vehicle, but can still be raced because thats what a both a Slash and Blitz are, Short Course Trucks (SCT). If you can afford it go with a brushless version of whatever car you want, that's probably that Bandit you mentioned. It must be the VXL (brushless) model because you can get an XL-5 (brushed) model for around 170 bucks. Go with the Rustler VXL, great car and tons of options! The Bandit uses a similar setup, but it is a little harder to control yet the Rustler is extremely easy to control for first time hobby grade rc buyers. With proper gearing and right battery, it can go 70mph plus using stock electronics! Yet using lower gearing and bigger tires, you could have a ton of fun in the mud! I assume you know what brushless and brushed motors are, but just in case: brushed motors use brushes that wear out eventually and lose power, while brushless has virtually no maintenance on the motor and its a heck of lot more powerful and fun! Check out the Rustler: http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...3707rustlervxl
Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 PM
guys2nv

I hope were not racking your brain to much BAMA-we just wanna help-lol. The 2wd slash can race also-but theres more race orientented trucks out there (AE SC10-mainly,the ofna/jammin version also) The slash 2wd is what started the whole affordable spec class SCT racing class-so def. a classic allready only if it is a few yrs old. Most LHS (local hobby shop) carry traxxas parts more then the other brands though but may carry AE (assoicated electronics), losi and HPI w/ hpi parts behind traxxas parts in a terms of in stock parts typically.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:33 PM
thehuntingterminator

yeah but he said he was more into bashing, not competition, and slash is probably the most forgiving as far as durability
Old 12-15-2010, 03:51 PM
BAMAchubby

I think that I will be looking more into the Slash...really did not think that I cared about being brushless but Ithink it may be better to upgrade to the brushless now??? If I get the brushed now, how much will it be to upgrade to brushless later...with a good brushed motor???

The Traxxas is 99% what I will go with...being able to run it in the snow, rain, puddles, etc is a big Plus

Thanks guys!!!! you have been awesome!!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 03:58 PM
thehuntingterminator

Ok, the Slash is a great truck! The brushed Slash usually runs somewhere around $210 with the AM radio and with a 2.4ghz radio that won;t bind to other peoples cars accidentally it would be somewhere around $250 at most. The 2WD Slash VXL (brushless) is around $300 max, and i'm pretty sure it comes with a 2.4ghz radio. If you ever plan on going out to the track later on, make sure whatever you get has the 2.4ghz radio, because it will only connect between your radio and your car, not someone else's if they're on the same channel like AM radios. If you bought the brushed now and went brushless later it would cost whatever the car cost now, and probably $140 for the brushless system later on. Best deal is to buy the Slash 2WD VXL now.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:58 PM
BAMAchubby

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

I was the one brought up the Rustler and yes it can be raced in a Stadium Trucks class, or maybe a Short Course, depending on how serious your competition is. ESC= Electronic Speed Controller. It is what give you proportional control on the throttle. A truck is much different than a buggy. Both of them can be either 2wd or 4wd, but a buggy is usually more of a car I guess you could say. And a truck is more of an off-road bashing vehicle, but can still be raced because thats what a both a Slash and Blitz are, Short Course Trucks (SCT). If you can afford it go with a brushless version of whatever car you want, that's probably that Bandit you mentioned. It must be the VXL (brushless) model because you can get an XL-5 (brushed) model for around 170 bucks. Go with the Rustler VXL, great car and tons of options! The Bandit uses a similar setup, but it is a little harder to control yet the Rustler is extremely easy to control for first time hobby grade rc buyers. With proper gearing and right battery, it can go 70mph plus using stock electronics! Yet using lower gearing and bigger tires, you could have a ton of fun in the mud! I assume you know what brushless and brushed motors are, but just in case: brushed motors use brushes that wear out eventually and lose power, while brushless has virtually no maintenance on the motor and its a heck of lot more powerful and fun! Check out the Rustler: http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...3707rustlervxl
Thanks for all of your help THT...from what you say, bashing with a buggy will not be to good...I may also be trying to race it also....Can you race your Rustler??? What class will that go in???
Thanks again
Old 12-15-2010, 04:02 PM
thehuntingterminator

Technically the Rustler races in the Stadium Truck class, but that's only if your in serious competition. I'm sure if it was a "just for fun" competition, they would let you run your Rustler with others, but Rustlers are pretty common so I wouldn't worry about that. I've never raced my Rustler, but it would do pretty good I would think.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:03 PM
BAMAchubby

Sorry THT...I think you already answered my question...You have been great...thanks again
Old 12-15-2010, 04:05 PM
guys2nv

I'm not sure if you can even run a brushed motor on the VXL-3s (if you buy the vxl slash that is but comes w/ 3500kv brushless motor right out of the box-i think its considered 10T motor)ill have to look later. But as for cheap brushless systems i have the hobbywing ezrun 60A esc and 8.5T 4000kv setup in my own 2wd slash and it works great (but IS NOT waterproof)- rolls wheelies fairly easy on surfaces w/ decent traction-you can even change the setting's of the esc w/ the included program card-which is fairly easy to decipher all the stuff once you get into brushless a lil more. the vxl system can be had for around $150 brand new and less if you find them in auction on ebay or even craigslist if someone is selling one in your area.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:12 PM
thehuntingterminator

i'm pretty sure you can run either brushed or brushless on the VXL ESC, i guess it would be a 10 turn limit, so a $20 Titan 550 12t would work fine i think.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:33 PM
godofcable
My Feedback: (4)

or you could be like me, much to my wife's dismay...i bought the brushed 2wd slash. ran it for a couple of weeks, then tried my buddies VXL Brushless. I immediately went on ebay and bought a rolling chassis, servo, receiver, brushless motor and esc combo, and a new radio.

The newer "traxxas link" radio allows you to bind it with up to 20 traxxas 2.4 ghz models, so its nice if you have more than one truck and don't want the hassle of all those radios.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:35 PM
thehuntingterminator

yeah, once you've driven brushless, brushed=no fun! but brushed is still plenty fun for a beginner being it will still go 35+ instead of like 10- lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.