Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

new bright 1/5 buggy- electric questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 09:52 PM
bloodyta2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new bright 1/5 buggy- electric questions

hey guys,
does anyone have info on this?

http://www.target.com/Mega-Max-5-Sca...ode=1243902011

id like to know what esc / motor it has, or if i could replace the motor / esc, maybe duel motor/ esc/ batteries?

any info or body off shots?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:55 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: new bright 1/5 buggy- electric questions

Eh - I wouldn't bet a cent on it being anywhere near hobby grade, but I'd still like to see what it contains. You can always strip it down and install your own electronics and powerplant - but then you'll just be left with a sub par chassis being driven by a powerful motor. The plastic quality and suspension quality probably still reeks of toy grade.

There are many better options for an electric 1/5 if that's what you want.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:49 PM
Druss

Definitely looks toy grade, might be run to play around with but probably doesn't go very fast (only 7.4v on a 1.5???) and not very durable. I think it would be great for a kid though, big enough it doesn't get stuck in high grass and slow enough they won't lose control and also slow enough that if they hit something hopefully nothing breaks as I doubt there's parts support.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:51 PM
Chris_RC

A 1/5 scale buggy that runs on 7.2 volts? [X(]
Old 11-05-2008, 06:25 PM
notatoy
Banned

dont let these guys put you off these r/c there stronger than most think , i have moded lots of newbrights with great success , but as some have said parts support is zero , so unless your good at fabricating your own parts look elsewere , there is a 1/8 scale of this model that runs on 9.6 volt probaley a better option , .. here it is , ..[link=http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3130526]newbright 1/8 max buggy[/link]....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47685.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	1066252  
Old 11-05-2008, 06:27 PM
Chris_RC

For a 1/8 scale you should have at least 11.1 if not 14.4 volt lipos. A 9.6 nicad (how much capacity?) will not do the job.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:37 PM
notatoy
Banned

i understand nothing to stop him haveing that voltage it called a conversion ,
Old 11-05-2008, 06:39 PM
notatoy
Banned

and to be honest i run a 1/6 scale on 9.6 volt and its plenty fast , depends what you whant .
Old 11-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Krazy Chicken

ORIGINAL: notatoy

dont let these guys put you off these r/c there stronger than most think , i have moded lots of newbrights with great success , but as some have said parts support is zero , so unless your good at fabricating your own parts look elsewere , there is a 1/8 scale of this model that runs on 9.6 volt probaley a better option , .. here it is , ..[link=http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3130526]newbright 1/8 max buggy[/link]....
are thoughs tires from the stampede?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:09 PM
notatoy
Banned

sorry i have no idea what there off, i dont own this model ...but i would very much dought there of a pede .
Old 11-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Krazy Chicken

they sure look like they are
Old 11-05-2008, 07:53 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

for the price of the 1/8 newbright you can get a decent used one off ebay or the forum/classifieds. Paying $80 for that is setting yourself up for disappointment when it breaks (not if, but when). I have no idea about the bigger one, but I would think it is low end stuff, probably one big board for receiver and speed control.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:51 AM
notatoy
Banned

these models will always have there critics because they dont have traxxas or tamiya stamped on them , yes it will break as most r/c do never had a r/c truck that didnt break , like i said in my last post you would need to fabricate your own parts , when damage does occur and it will , the electronics on this type of model are junk and that is fact , so replacing them with hobby grade servo esc and receiver and batteries is the best option there are forums dedicated to these models were spares are exchanged and modifications are made . if your interested, it this type of modification send me a pm and will advise , at the end of the day there all toys .its just some are better than others ,thanks[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 12-23-2008, 12:30 AM
RSEA

I just bought one of these at ToysRUs tonight. I got it because it was on sale for $99.99 (regular price was $169.99). It is called New Bright, Max Electric Mega Buggy 1/5 scale. It has a 7.2V NiCAD with charger and the transmitter takes 2 AA batteries. This is the first RC car of ANY kind I have ever purchased. I bought it as a Christmas present for myself, to take to my mother's house while I stay there for the Holidays. It is snowing where she is tonight, but unfortunately the forecast for Christmas day calls for rain.. Didn't know about the rain forecast until after I bought the Buggy.

Anyway, was this a half decent deal to get this big thing for $99.99? It has adjustable coil spring suspension at all four corners, Pistol grip wheel transmitter (which doesn't require a 9volt battery which I liked as I already have NiMH rechargable AAs and a charger for them). There are 5 reviews of this buggy on the ToyRUs website and all 5 of them gave it 4 or 5 stars. One guy said he was surprised at the power and speed the buggy has with only a 7.2V battery pack on board.

Because of the rain forecast for Christmas day...I'm wondering if I should return it tomorrow before I make the trip to my mother's place or just keep it... I never expected this to be comparable to a Hobby Grade car or buggy (I've never owned one, but have watch them run a couple times). Maybe for a hundred bucks it would be worth it to mess around with it and play with it until something breaks on it. I noticed the 1/8 th scale buggy by New Bright had 3 reviews that were not as good and that buggy costs $79.99! So I got this 1/5 scale one for only 20 bucks more! It still sits in the box, unopened, as I stare at it some more...lol This was really a fluke, it was all by itself on the shelf, the only one in the store and it just kinda begged me to purchase it and take it home. It is kinda cool looking though.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:06 AM
fatkidjoey

post a video plz as soon as you open it lol , i bet its not fast 7.2 is no where near the power it needs to push that big thing
Old 12-23-2008, 02:40 AM
RSEA

Sorry, I won't be able to post a video, as I don't own a video camera.. I have no idea what you would consider fast to be, since I've never owned one of these things before. Since the frame is mostly plastic, there might be less weight to push around when compared to a hobby grade 1/5 buggy, so perhaps it doesn't need as much voltage. The whole thing in its box feels rather light to me (for its big size), but I have nothing to compare it too.. Still have not decided whether to keep it yet... Still staring at box lol.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:38 AM
86waterpumper

I guess people think these are cool because of the size, but for about the same money you could get a duratrax buggy or stadium truck that would be worlds better. There is no way a 1/5 scale buggy can be very fast on 7.2 volts...
Old 12-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Druss

these models will always have there critics because they dont have traxxas or tamiya stamped on them , yes it will break as most r/c do never had a r/c truck that didnt break , like i said in my last post you would need to fabricate your own parts , when damage does occur and it will , the electronics on this type of model are junk and that is fact , so replacing them with hobby grade servo esc and receiver and batteries is the best option there are forums dedicated to these models were spares are exchanged and modifications are made . if your interested, it this type of modification send me a pm and will advise , at the end of the day there all toys .its just some are better than others ,thanks[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
You wonder why we think it's junk when you list the two major reasons. No parts support and worthless electronics. What's the point?? With the cost of the electronics upgrade you're looking at the price of a good hobby grade truck anyway. I just picked up a rustler VXL roller for $60. Add the electronics and it's cheaper than a newbright.

I'd rather have a hobby grade 1/10 than a toy 1/6.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:37 PM
notatoy
Banned

ORIGINAL: Druss

You wonder why we think it's junk when you list the two major reasons. No parts support and worthless electronics. What's the point?? With the cost of the electronics upgrade you're looking at the price of a good hobby grade truck anyway. I just picked up a rustler VXL roller for $60. Add the electronics and it's cheaper than a newbright.

I'd rather have a hobby grade 1/10 than a toy 1/6.
i dont wonder why you think its junk , its the mind set of peopel like you . i have come across lots of times . if its not made buy the beloved traxxas or tamiya there no good . .. yes its toy grade big deal . its not ment to compete with $1000 doller r/c and some peopel enjoy working on models like this i no i do . yes the electronics are junk think of it as a rolling chassie and start from there you dont have to install the latest high tec esc or servo . hobby systems can be bought cheap if you know what your looking for .thanks
Old 12-23-2008, 03:05 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

the point is that the price makes it compete with them. For $100 (or more) you get the 1/6 toy that when it breaks, and they all do a little, there are no parts to fix it. $100 sitting there with no fix. or you could buy an evader or a tamiya or a whatever for $100 and when it breaks, you order up a new part. or for the heck of it you order an upgrade/hop-up. back to your $100 new bright, you just can't do it. If you enjoy fabbing everything, then knock yourself out. but for the average joe looking for a ready to roll, that is not the case.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Why don't you guys get it? notatoy says he *likes* to fab his own parts and do his toy to hobby grade conversions. That's all!
Old 12-23-2008, 03:32 PM
86waterpumper

haha well good luck to him. Yes you could upgrade and put a brushless motor and esc or whatever you wanted to in it, you might even be able to find some shocks that would mount up and work. The point is, you are never going to get the drivetrain and axles right on that thing without enough work that you should have started from scratch to begin with lol. This thing only costs as much as it does because of the scale. I have seen new bright trucks at walmart and places for 20 bucks before that weren't alot smaller. In fact I bought one one year for my daughter and the axle was warped on it just from running it in the kitchen and barely bumping something. I think people here have given him the right advice. If it were me and I had just bought that and it was still in the box I'd turn right around and list it on ebay and see what i could get...
Old 12-23-2008, 03:47 PM
notatoy
Banned

i must agree it is over priced and myself iwould not pay that and never have for these toy grades . ebay they can be bought much cheaper as used . i think i got one for £20 at one time now when you considder that its not so bad , and then install hobby components that i already had , it was not such a big deal . but since he already has the r/c instead of it sitting in the box why not take it out and use it since thats what it was intended for . if its no good or he dont like it then take it back seems a bit silly just to sitt there and stair at it . wondering should i use it or not .
Old 12-23-2008, 04:27 PM
nitrozach54
Banned

I don't trust the reviews on those toy sites. If you are reviewing a rc on a toy site, chances are that you do not have a whole lot of experience with professional Rc to compare to. So in my opinion, the reviews that say it is great, are written by people who are comparing it to other toys. For an adult, I would suggest a 1/10 electric for a starter.
Look around on www.towerhobbies.com for a REAL RC car. My personal suggestion would be an Evader EXT http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXSGU7**&P=ML
As a kid, i owned over 10 toy grade cars, including a 1/5 hummer from newbright I believe, I thought it was the greatest thing ever. But moving up to 1/10 I will say that the quality, fun, runtime, speed, are ALOT BETTER!!! Defiantly worth the upgrade from toys, to big boy "toys"
Old 12-23-2008, 04:40 PM
notatoy
Banned

i would not buy a evader i had one a while back it was utter rubbish the chassie is very poor i was just messing in the front garden and the chassie snapped at the back swing arms i ended up parting out . .. you see all these r/c have there faults every single one of them .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.