Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

E-Savage Brushed vs. E-Maxx Brushed

So basically im thinking of one of the two but i need some help. Ive looked at them both but im looking from more opinions from people who may know more about them or actually have one or the other. Pros and Cons. Which one is faster? More power/torque? better offroad? thanks fellow rc'rs
    Under powering your RC should be a sin.
    \"Its ok to admit BL is faster than nitro\"

Traxxas Bandit VXL 9.6v

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: E-Savage Brushed vs. E-Maxx Brushed

Tough call... I have both, though they have been both modified with brushless setups and many more parts now.

I love the E-Savage in stock trim. It is reliable and handles quite well. It definitely starts having problems with increased power as it sounds like you already know, though I run a Novak HV brushless system with a single 7.4V lipo and it just goes and goes and goes. It rarely brakes parts, and since a lot of the parts are interchangeable, it is easy to keep a spare around. What worries me about the E-Savage is parts availability. I am not sure how HPI plans to support the E-Savage while also selling the Savage Flux platform. I have a hard time getting E-Savage parts and they often seem to be quite expensive. There is limited aftermarket support for them.

I would probably lean towards a new E-Maxx personally. Although I don't think it is as nimble or fast or handle as well as the E-Savage stock for stock, E-Maxxes are easy to get parts for and parts are and will be plentiful for many years to come.
    *** Support your local tracks ***

Skip both and just get the Savage 2350 or Savage HP..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Tough call... I have both, though they have been both modified with brushless setups and many more parts now.

I love the E-Savage in stock trim. It is reliable and handles quite well. It definitely starts having problems with increased power as it sounds like you already know, though I run a Novak HV brushless system with a single 7.4V lipo and it just goes and goes and goes. It rarely brakes parts, and since a lot of the parts are interchangeable, it is easy to keep a spare around. What worries me about the E-Savage is parts availability. I am not sure how HPI plans to support the E-Savage while also selling the Savage Flux platform. I have a hard time getting E-Savage parts and they often seem to be quite expensive. There is limited aftermarket support for them.

I would probably lean towards a new E-Maxx personally. Although I don't think it is as nimble or fast or handle as well as the E-Savage stock for stock, E-Maxxes are easy to get parts for and parts are and will be plentiful for many years to come.
    HPI does that with RC's I've noticed that are not super popular.
    Kinda what drove me away from them, trying to find parts for some is a nightmare I swear some sould be listed as discontinued on HPI's site seeing they don't even have the parts in stock themselves (I can think of one they haven't had a parts for over a year)

I wanted a E-savage a year ago, but I noticed even then parts support was severely lacking and just got a full sized savage. At least with savages basically any part made since the 1st one is interchangeable on it.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Get the Emaxx  w/ twin titans it is water proof so you can play in the snow,water and mud!!!
    Traxxas Slash VXL / sold ECO
    Traxxas Slash MMpro/17.5 Novak
    Blade MSR X /J3 Cub
    Cayuga82 on youtube

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Id say the E-Savage is tougher as far as the suspension goes, than the E-Maxx. It probably is a touch faster as well. However, the driveline is weak so if you ever add power, you will have lots of work to do there.

Basically in my eyes, the E-Maxx Suspension is easier to make reasonably tough, than it is to make the e-savage driveline tough. Thats just my thoughts on it. And I would go with the E-Maxx because of that. The factory e-maxx driveline is pretty strong now as long as you dont go too crazy, and there are gobs of parts out for the maxx trucks. My Father In Law has a new E-Maxx and its a pretty nice truck for the most part. He hasnt had any problems from it at all, and it is fairly powerful with good run time for a brushed truck.

The Savage Flux 2350 is probably the best bang for your buck though. Tower has them for about $410 with free shipping, and they also have a $60 off code which would bring it down to $450 shipped. And I believe HPI might have a $25 rebate right now, but you'd want to look into that. Its just a better truck all around than the other 2 though, so if you can afford it, that would be your best option. Although we all know that money is a deciding factor for many of us, so you have to make that decision yourself[8D]

Eric

Edit... The E-Savage is also quite a bit smaller than the Maxx. I found this picture on the web of someone with a stampede, e-savage and e-maxx lined up and you can see the difference. This is NOT my picture. I believe someone else on here had posted it[8D]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu59444.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	1539569  
    - Savage - MGT Pulling Truck - Losi LST2 - Brushless Blitz - RC10GT (getting a 2.5) - Brushless T4 - Sportwerks Mayhem Pro

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You should be able to pick an Emaxx w/2.4ghz up for $399.00

Blade MSR X /J3 Cub
    Cayuga82 on youtube

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well i've been watching videos on both of these rc's. the savage looks pretty snppy compared to the maxx. i think the only thing traxxas has over anyone else is overall looks. there cars do look damn good, but do they perform any better just because of chrome and more colors? not necessarily. i used to have a nitro savage and that thing was built like a tang. slammed into my garage at over 30mph and barely bent one of the chassis plates and nothing else broke. i love the durability of hpi. but the parts availability. i wont really be beating on it.
      plus the e-savage is cheaper on towerhobbies. dont get me wrong i like both brands. i have a bandit vxl right now, but i loved my nitro savage .21.

Traxxas Bandit VXL 9.6v

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hpiracr28

well i've been watching videos on both of these rc's. the savage looks pretty snppy compared to the maxx. i think the only thing traxxas has over anyone else is overall looks. there cars do look damn good, but do they perform any better just because of chrome and more colors? not necessarily. i used to have a nitro savage and that thing was built like a tang. slammed into my garage at over 30mph and barely bent one of the chassis plates and nothing else broke. i love the durability of hpi. but the parts availability. i wont really be beating on it.
    plus the e-savage is cheaper on towerhobbies. dont get me wrong i like both brands. i have a bandit vxl right now, but i loved my nitro savage .21.

Emaxx has waterproof ESC and Servo!!! but maybe that doesn't matter.
    It would to me since my Slash and Rustler are tearing up the and ice right now in Va
    Blade MSR X /J3 Cub
    Cayuga82 on youtube

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

* plus the e-savage is cheaper on towerhobbies. dont get me wrong i like both brands. i have a bandit vxl right now, but i loved my nitro savage .21.

buy another .21 off ebay for like $100 (I got one complete for $150 shipped awhile back)
    Get the following (quite cheap for what it comes with)
    http://204.186.93.64/Savage700-HOConversion.htm
    get the dual motor ESC off an emaxx
    should be around $300 in the end which is less than the e-maxx or e-savage, and have the savage durability, and parts support

Honestly if I saw that mount when I made my savage flux, I'd have went that route if I had to do it over again.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well im too lazy to put all that together. i just wanna charge the batteries and run em. im not too fond of kits. but yea i guess waterproof would be a good thing to have. i could always waterproof stuff myself tho. Too many options!!!

Traxxas Bandit VXL 9.6v

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well im too lazy to put all that together. i just wanna charge the batteries and run em. im not too fond of kits. but yea i guess waterproof would be a good thing to have. i could always waterproof stuff myself tho. Too many options!!!

Get the Emaxx!!!! lots of them on Ebay and RCU for sale and they are simple and cheap to fix unless there an ESC problem.
    Blade MSR X /J3 Cub
    Cayuga82 on youtube

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Between the two, the e-savage has been more durable. I recently sold my e-maxx off because it seems that every time I ran it something broke. The chassis even broke once when I ran it without a body; that's just plain sad.
    God bless America

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I currently own a brushless E-Savage, I've also owned both the new and old versions of the E-Maxx which I converted to brushless,. In my opionion I say E-Savage all the way. It's a tougher truck from my experiences with them both and the Savage is quite better at handling! The E-maxx seems a bit sloppy for me, but still a very nice truck don't get me wrong here. But if I had to choose i'd have the E-Savage, hence why I still own mine. I'll post a pic here in a little bit.
    Trucks: Brushless Traxxas E-Revo , Brushless Cen GST, Traxxas Summit (Dewalt 820 pending)
    Quads: DJI PHANTOM w/FPV, Blade MQX, V222, Hubsan X4, Proto X, (Ecks Custom Build..)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ive also owned a Savage and i recently converted my Tmaxx 3.3 to a brushless Emaxx. The Savage is by far the strongest of the two, but not every ones runs them hard enough to break something. I have only broken my Emaxx once when i smacked into a tree that jumped out in front of it lol. The good thing about both of them is that there is loads of parts to get a hold of. Really it just comes down to which one is in your price range, how hard you want to run it and if you have future plans on going brushless.
    Vietnam Veteran-Well atleast i am on Call of Duty: Black Ops
    !@#$%^&*-Waka Flocka Flame-*&^%$#@!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another vote for the E-savage here. Stock they are tough, and a couple of cheap mods (E-maxx shafts, screw shock mod) renders them almost unbreakable. There is a good aftermarket for the E-savage, you just have to know where to look. I've had two, and both ended up heavily modified and were awesome. Unfortunately I'm a builder rather than a driver so I sold them both shortly after I finished.

Stock an E-savage will run rings around the E-maxx, motors fitted to the E-savage are a good 20% more powerful than the Titans in the E-maxx, have around a 4,000 rpm advantage and out of the box the E-savage is lighter despite it's heavy duty build quality. With twin lipos in the E-savage I never once hankered after brushless because of a lack of power, only because it used to eat motors haha. Then again they are only about £6 so I didn't mind.