Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Which ESC?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 04:37 AM
fighttheban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which ESC?

Hi guys, I'm new to the electric scene and was enjoying it immensely until my ESC puffed. I've posted over in the speed controller section but nobody is replying at the moment. The thing is, if i do need a new ESC, what Amperage should it be rated at; I'm very confused [:'(]

Setup:

Novak Velociti Light- 5.5t 6800kv
Turnigy 5000mah 3S1P 25-35C
Hobbyking 100A ESC suspected to be dud

I can't find much info on the motor, but I understand I need to find how many amps the motor draws [&o]
I was looking at a hobbyking 150A but is this overkill.

If anyone can help It'd be much appreciated
Old 12-31-2010, 04:40 AM
fighttheban

Default RE: Which ESC?

link to my original post http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10225952/tm.htm
Old 12-31-2010, 06:00 AM
Nick Anderson
My Feedback: (13)

if you need or want to use the novak sensor feature then the traxxas v3 or the mamba max pro, their are other options but they are somewhat more and with the same or less performance. The mamba max pro is the best (IMO) because it does the most 100+ AMPS 6sand it's programable, it's just your best bang for the buck with a warranty ! but there are others. i've heard good things about HK's but the price is rising to where i'd just rather have the castle. but to amswer your question a lil more clear 80~100 amps would be good and safe, i have seen it done on 60 amps but the setup has to be right on and you have to keep an eye on the temps and watch the weight ! hope this helps
Old 12-31-2010, 06:05 AM
MCSRacing
My Feedback: (2)

go with a tekin RSPro .. the esc is as bullet proof as they come .... the cost is up there but ya get what ya pay for
Old 12-31-2010, 06:46 AM
Nick Anderson

I've never looked at anything other than castle BUT the RX8 that i use on my MRX3 yes they are GREAT ! BUT it's a 200 buck esc plus the programmer is another 50 bucks that sucks ! but it has been my best unit in a castle ruled house tried it on a whim and i have been Sooo happy with it, but it's 40 plus over the MMMv3. the Tekin 10th esc's cost as much or more and i figured he was on a budget. personally i think the Mamba max pro is the bee's knee's it's failure rate is alot better than the MMM so lately i've had a revolving box with castle about my 3 MMMv3 one's alway in the mail, not cause of standard failures but stuff like the case splits in a simple crash and the controller gets ruined cause it came apart, my rx8 has indured plenty crashes and it looks good and acts like it should, i was mad at first about tekins 120 day policy but i haven't had to worry about it cause it has out lasted all of my monsters

Old 12-31-2010, 07:20 AM
LewAshby
Banned

First question: What is the ESC going into? Air or ground vehicle?

Second question: What were you doing when the esc did go bad?
Old 12-31-2010, 07:29 AM
fighttheban

First off thanks so much for the responses, there have been more in the last hour than in the whole of the other thread!! Chuck its a 1/10th offroad vehicle (HPI Blitz) and the esc has been covered in water/ splashes numerous times and stopped working, then once dry worked perfectly. I was doing some speed runs with the 3S when the truck began to slow down (full battery still) and started cogging. It then became inthe state that the video shows (on the thread link at the start of this thread).

As for the ESC replacement if it is bust, I was looking at these bearing in mind im a student on a very low budget [&o]

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10370

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8993

I still don't understand how an ESC rated for 100amps can operate with a battery that produces in excess of 150A sorry for my newbishness [X(]
Old 12-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Nick Anderson

amps differ from voltage, your battery only supply's what the esc ask for, having more is a plus, but more voltage sometimes can be a problem ! if your esc said's it can only support a 3s pack and you install a 4 or 5 you will be in for a roast !
Old 01-01-2011, 04:09 AM
fighttheban

Ahh Okay I think I understand, so you'd only need a big esc if you were running say 2 3S packs with two large-draw motors? Thanks Nick and others you've been exceptionally helpful My LHS are an abomination so this is the closest I can get [8D]
Old 01-01-2011, 05:13 AM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

Sure the motor hasnt given up ? It was not designed for 3s use.

The velocity lite is mainly used for a 4cell tc/pancar motor.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:09 PM
fighttheban

I'm not sure but thanks, I wasnt aware I couldnt run the light on 3S because I couldn't find a lot of info. Is there a sure-fire way of checking?? thank you!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:14 PM
fighttheban

Okay I'm getting a bit flustered here I still don't know what the problem is. Supposing it is the motor, are there any cheap 8.5t motors that can stand 3S?
Old 01-01-2011, 12:32 PM
fighttheban

I just don't want to shell out for an ESC to find that the motor is the problem. Would the 5.5t from EZ-Run work on 3S? Thanks sorry for the confusion
Old 01-01-2011, 03:13 PM
fighttheban

I've just taken the esc apart and it seems there has been some melting but I still can't be sure whether to buy a new one or motor. I'm sorry for ranting but I've just shelled out for a used rc which is becoming an expensive nightmare and parents just don't agree with spending money on what they view as a useless toy however I want to get it running again and obviously don't want to be buying a new esc if it isn't the problem and similarly I hope its not a motor issue because if the expensive novak. I'm only asking online because my lhs is abysmal and based on the setup of my truck does anyone have a clue as to whether I should get a new esc or.motor. sorry again any response[&o] will be greatly appreciated I'm at my wits end

3S 5000mah lipo
novak velociti light 5.5t 6800kv
Hobbyking 100a esc
Old 01-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Nick Anderson

By all means replace both ! 6800kv is way to much for any off road car within RTR gearing and specs and be sure to leave room to grow in you system. 3200~4800kv should be good, a esc that was 100 amps and would handle up to 4s should hold you just fine. With a setup like that you would be less likely to overheat and burn due to off gear choices or tire sizechanges it would be way more forgiving than a 60 amp/5700kv setup.
Old 01-01-2011, 07:19 PM
RCchomp

ORIGINAL: Nick Anderson

if you need or want to use the novak sensor feature then the traxxas v3 or the mamba max pro, their are other options but they are somewhat more and with the same or less performance. The mamba max pro is the best (IMO) because it does the most 100+ AMPS 6sand it's programable, it's just your best bang for the buck with a warranty ! but there are others. i've heard good things about HK's but the price is rising to where i'd just rather have the castle. but to amswer your question a lil more clear 80~100 amps would be good and safe, i have seen it done on 60 amps but the setup has to be right on and you have to keep an eye on the temps and watch the weight ! hope this helps
+2 what he said.. I have a mamba and run 3s, 4s, or 6s depending on how lucky I feel. Castle has the best product by far, doesn't overheat, great support, and fully computer programable if you're into that apect..
Old 01-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Allnighters

Check this out it may help you somewhat. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35216
Old 01-01-2011, 07:50 PM
fasterrcs

i would get a mamba max there on sale it castle creations website for 75.00 . for that price the choice should be easy all the esc listed have no real warranty the mamba has a one year warranty that they stand behind

http://www.castlecreations.com/promo...clearance.html
Old 01-02-2011, 03:49 AM
fighttheban

Okay thanks for all the help guys really [8D][8D] I love the look of Castle creations kit however over in the UK it costs another 25-30 dollars to have it shipped over! This doesn't sound like much but it really is for me [:'(] I've bitten the bullet and gone for a 75amp esc off a uk-based website (fed up of crappy chinese support) and, although it may be more expensive, I'll replace the ESC first then if the motor doesnt work, replace that. I think I needed a new ESC anyway because of water damage [:@][:@] Oh well the joys of this hobby
Old 01-02-2011, 05:27 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Not tobe a dick or state the obvious, but the first step should be to keep non-waterproof electronics....well......DRY. Hell I dont even let my recently defunct VXL-3S get wet and it says its waterproof every where you look! (BTW: Beware anything with the Traxxas logo)
Old 01-02-2011, 06:15 AM
snapper21

ORIGINAL: cerealkilla024

Not tobe a dick or state the obvious, but the first step should be to keep non-waterproof electronics....well......DRY. Hell I dont even let my recently defunct VXL-3S get wet and it says its waterproof every where you look! (BTW: Beware anything with the Traxxas logo)
Water resistant at best. I run a vxl-3s that boasts waterproof, but I'll tear it apart after a morning dew run to be sure that condensation doesn't get to it. And it will. Moisture is a pure evil on any motor, corrosion alone kills your life span. Run how you wanna run but you have to take the extra steps/consequences for it.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:40 AM
fighttheban

Okay well I took the ESC apart and it was slightly melted in one place; there were a load of silicon chips and one of them was melted. I've ordered a new ESC but I really dislike shelling out for a new motor if that is the problem [:@] I love electrics they're just so much less hassle than nitros however I really have learnt the hard way with this esc/motor mashup Should I not run the 3S with a 6800kv motor (presuming its not already bust)
Old 01-02-2011, 11:25 AM
guys2nv

Guess ya VXL-3S users don't know how to care for them-have 2 of um right now and have been covered in water/snow many many times and they still work perfect and no i haven't taken them apart b/c there is no point in taking apart something that works fine-so if your vxl-3s esc works fine-DON'T TAKE IT APART.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:48 PM
Flail

I was also thinking of getting one of these
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=8993

I have a DBX VE on the way and want to run 3s, but the esc it comes with is garbage.  From what I've heard they're pretty decent,
Old 01-03-2011, 08:39 AM
fighttheban

Okay well I've gone all out and bought a new 75A hobbyking/wing/turnigy esc and an ezrun 4300kv I think it may be the dreaded 9t instead of 8.5 but it will be okay I think, just money [:@]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.