RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

short course over tray

Old 01-01-2011, 06:32 AM
godofcable

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default short course over tray

i was perusing the latest RC Car action, and came across a Jconcepts ad. in it, they have over trays for the short course trucks. it looks like a plastic cover for the chassis that goes on under the body...anyone know what purpose they serve? Are they just to keep dirt and grime out of the chassis, battery tray, etc?
Old 01-01-2011, 06:52 AM
hchia25

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: short course over tray

Yes that what that cover does keeps dirt ,etc... from the battery tray and electronics.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Soloratov

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bought one of those a year ago and it's great. I think a lot of people complain about it trapping heat, but really, I only use it during the winter months and it's a huge difference with the collection of snow on the tray, no more 10lb truck!
Old 01-01-2011, 10:19 AM
guys2nv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No real point in using it in a slash 4x4 w/ vxl b/c its waterproof-I used one for 5 min in 20F temps w/ only a antenna hole in the tray and went into stage 1 thermal shutdown in under 5 mins
Old 01-01-2011, 03:12 PM
deviltrigger529

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Soloratov

Bought one of those a year ago and it's great. I think a lot of people complain about it trapping heat, but really, I only use it during the winter months and it's a huge difference with the collection of snow on the tray, no more 10lb truck!
Thats exactly what I got mine for and its great. Dont really have to worry about much heat in the winter running in snow as long as you have good batteries. I just cut out the hole above the ESC for the fan to bring in air and its all good.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Lars from Norway

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Without having tried it, i have much beleife in the cover from Outerwears for this purpose, it is water repellant but still lets air to the electronics. [link=http://www.outerwearsracing.com/proddetail.asp?prod=202591]Link[/link] to it. I don't know what car you are talking about here but you will find for most brands when clicking [link=http://www.outerwearsracing.com/categories.asp?cat=12380]here[/link].
Old 01-01-2011, 05:29 PM
Soloratov

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah, I have looked at that one too Lars, seems to work well but then again I am not a fan of "bags". I guess what i dont understand is everyones heat problems. I run all winter with no ESC fan, the JConcepts cover, 5000 2S lipos, and the VXL geared at 23/86, never had a thermal problem. Ran it today and it's 55 degrees out.....makes me wonder if all the ESC's have different sensitivities to heat. My neighbor can run his truck at that same gearing all year, but I have drop mine to 23/90 and put the fan back on in the summer.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:26 AM
Lars from Norway

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess you like it flat and in shape Agree with you, it looks a bit baggy, but nice for those who have heat issues i guess.

Search this Thread