Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Need Advice Coming back to rc cars after 10+ years

Old 01-06-2011, 11:29 AM
DEMON1C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice Coming back to rc cars after 10+ years

I have what I think is a first generation Traxxas Bandit that has been sitting in the closet collecting dust for close to 10 years. I would like to get back in to this hobby but need some advice on getting this car close to todays standards if possible without emptying my wallet. I need to get a new battery (the old one was a 1500mah 6cell which only gave me about 15 minutes of running time on one charge) with todays new batteries out is it possible to getmorethan roughly 15 minutes of running time on 1 charge? if so what will I need to acheive this? Motor?ESC? This car is totally stock and I have been out of the RC Car hobby for over 10 years. Any advice would be greatlyappreciated. the only thing I would rather avoid is buy a new car all together since i am on a tight budget and want to spend as little as possible (hopefully ($100 maximum if possible). Attached is a pic of my car.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:50 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Need Advice Coming back to rc cars after 10+ years

ORIGINAL: DEMON1C

I have what I think is a first generation Traxxas Bandit that has been sitting in the closet collecting dust for close to 10 years. I would like to get back in to this hobby but need some advice on getting this car close to todays standards if possible without emptying my wallet. I need to get a new battery (the old one was a 1500mah 6cell which only gave me about 15 minutes of running time on one charge) with todays new batteries out is it possible to get more than roughly 15 minutes of running time on 1 charge? if so what will I need to acheive this? Motor?ESC? This car is totally stock and I have been out of the RC Car hobby for over 10 years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. the only thing I would rather avoid is buy a new car all together since i am on a tight budget and want to spend as little as possible (hopefully ($100 maximum if possible). Attached is a pic of my car.

[img][/img]

Thanks in advance for any help.
If the electronics still work get a new battery and go drive.
They still sell every part you will need if you break anything seeing they still sell that model virtually unchanged
A 5000mah batter would probably give around 40 minutes of run time if you were hitting 15 on a 1500mah battery.
Just buy a good charger should cost like $30-40 for a charger.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:14 PM
guys2nv

Man that thing looks like its in good shape for a bandit that usually get thrashed hard and put away wet. I agree w/ syco-just buy a new nimh and drive-just don't try someone else brushless/lipo cars/trucks if you know anyone that has one b/c the next thing you know your dropping $200 for chargers/lipos and brushless systems-its that addicting.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: guys2nv

Man that thing looks like its in good shape for a bandit that usually get thrashed hard and put away wet. I agree w/ syco-just buy a new nimh and drive-just don't try someone else brushless/lipo cars/trucks if you know anyone that has one b/c the next thing you know your dropping $200 for chargers/lipos and brushless systems-its that addicting.
its not addicting *hiding the new BL system going in his Hornet* don't know what your talking about
Old 01-06-2011, 05:13 PM
DEMON1C

OK I finally found the quick charger and charged the old battery up to see if the electronics work and low and behold........they work! of corse I only got less than 5 minutes out of a charge LOL. I thinktomorrowI'll take a trip up to the local Hobby shop and see what I can pick up. The 5000mah batteries will they work on the same electronics I have in the stock car and will I be able to charge it with my Hobbico 900 AC/DC charger or will I need to get a new charger? Or how high can I go on mah battery before I need differentelectronics?
Old 01-06-2011, 05:43 PM
zman5000

just charge the new battery until it's warm, and you won't have any problems, though with nimh batteries it's a good idea to let it cool off after a run before you recharge it.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:03 PM
DEMON1C

ORIGINAL: zman5000

just charge the new battery until it's warm, and you won't have any problems, though with nimh batteries it's a good idea to let it cool off after a run before you recharge it.
The Charger I have only charges with a 15minutes dial timer. If the new battery is not warm after the 15 minute time keep going till its warm? Thisdoesn'tsound safe. How am I supposed to know if its fully charged or not if I need to charge till it's warm?
Here it is.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:14 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

I'd get http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html it charges all battery chemistries, and has free shipping

Or if you are sure you are only going to use NiMh http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTSA4&P=ML is a good charger

Don't take this the wrong way BUT that charger you have looks pretty crappy. I looked up it says compatible with NiMh...

SPECS: Pack Rating Charge Time in Minutes:
1300 to 1500mAh: 15 - 23 minutes
1700 to 2000mAh: 28 - 33 minutes approx.
so for a 5000 NiMh you would have to reset that thing around 5-6 times...
Old 01-06-2011, 06:28 PM
DEMON1C

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I'd get http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html it charges all battery chemistries, and has free shipping

Or if you are sure you are only going to use NiMh http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXTSA4&P=ML is a good charger

Don't take this the wrong way BUT that charger you have looks pretty crappy. I looked up it says compatible with NiMh...

Don't worry I'm not taking any advisethewrong way.I know the charger may be close to 15 years old or possibly older I cant remember if I got that when I had a Kyosho ZR1 Corvette & Kyosho Big Brute (I still have the truck but parts are extremely hard to come by) Thanks for all the advice I know I'm a noob all over again and It feels like I am starting all over again but i guess its better than buying a whole new car at this time.
About the types of batteries though..... Can I run any type of battery with what I have in the car now? or will I need to change something out before I use a better battery thanTower Hobbies 6-Cell 7.2V 1500mAh NiCd Stick Std Plug[/b][/b]TOWC1030 Which is what I have that is over 10 years old. I still can'tbelievethat they still sell this thing.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 PM
cooldriver385

Yup! In fact this old thing has evolved into a brushless buggy that can reach speeds of 70mph! Before this thing would be lucky at 26-30 LOL. And I have that same charger only it's a little newer looking.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Krazy Chicken

that hobby partz charger is really nice for the money, i have it right now

Old 01-06-2011, 07:26 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

About the types of batteries though..... Can I run any type of battery with what I have in the car now? or will I need to change something out before I use a better battery than Tower Hobbies 6-Cell 7.2V 1500mAh NiCd Stick Std Plug TOWC1030 Which is what I have that is over 10 years old. I still can't believe that they still sell this thing.
The ESC should accept anything. It don't give a damn about battery chemistry, only as long as it get the voltage it likes. Any 6-cell NiMh would be safe seeing its voltage would be the same as a 6-cell NiCd. Mah doesn't matter think of the mah like a cars gas tank. More mAh's the larger the tank, and farther you can go

Outta curiosity is it an old yellow XL-5?
Old 01-06-2011, 07:42 PM
DEMON1C

About the types of batteries though..... Can I run any type of battery with what I have in the car now? or will I need to change something out before I use a better battery than Tower Hobbies 6-Cell 7.2V 1500mAh NiCd Stick Std Plug TOWC1030 Which is what I have that is over 10 years old. I still can't believe that they still sell this thing.
The ESC should accept anything. It don't give a damn about battery chemistry, only as long as it get the voltage it likes. Any 6-cell NiMh would be safe seeing its voltage would be the same as a 6-cell NiCd. Mah doesn't matter think of the mah like a cars gas tank. More mAh's the larger the tank, and farther you can go

Outta curiosity is it an old yellow XL-5?
It's not an ESC on it its the old manual speed controller. Should I get a cheap ESC for it and will it run longer on a charge with a ESC ? Or at least better having the ESC instead of the manual?

Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

get a ESC
longer run times less parts to break

Look on ebay you can sometimes nab Traxxas XL-5's for around $20
Old 01-06-2011, 09:23 PM
res3567

+1 on that...that is how much I paid for mine....and it rides happily in my re-release Frog (A 20 + year design) and it is chanelling 8.4 volts, 5000 mahinto an Orion brushed Method Rmotor. When I gun the car with the rearwheels off of the ground, the tires ballon like a top fuel dragster!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:35 PM
efuseakay

Oh man, this is making me want to find where I stashed my Tamiya Hornet I got back in the 80s... lol

Good luck DEMON1C! Please keep us updated!
Old 01-06-2011, 11:11 PM
DEMON1C

ORIGINAL: efuseakay

Oh man, this is making me want to find where I stashed my Tamiya Hornet I got back in the 80s... lol

Good luck DEMON1C! Please keep us updated!
The hornet was my first car when I was 16! That was a awesome car! I have had a few in the past and wish I would have kept them all......
In order heres the cars I had
1.) Tamiya Hornet
2.) Tamiya Blackfoot (original one)
3.) Kyosho ZR1 Corvette
4.) Cant remember the name of it 4wd full metal chasis 2 speed gear box truck I think it was a toyota? but I cannot remember what it was. I got it off of a friend. Maybe a Tamiya?
5.) Kyosho Big Brute (I still have this one)
6.) Traxxas Bandit (use to be my sons till he gave it to me)

I'lldefinitelykeep you updated as to what I end up getting for this one.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:12 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Just an FYI

It'll be cheaper to go buy a Bandit VXL than update that car.

Or cheaper to buy an Associated RC10B4.1 brushless.

set aside 400 bones, buy a car, charger, and a couple batteries.

And on another note...ThunderbirdJunkie has successfully run 12 cells on the Traxxas MSC.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:57 PM
DEMON1C

Update:

I have a friend at work that is going to upgrade his slash to the Velineon VXL-3m Brushless Power System, waterproof (includes waterproof VXL-3m ESC and Velineon 380 motor) and I am giving him a set of spare crystals from an old radio for his XL-5 & Titan 12T motor. so all I need to do is get a couple of LiPos and I will be set for a while till I can afford the Slash 4x4 VXL. I really like that Stadium Truck ever since checking out videos about it on YouTube. 

To be continued when I get my XL-5 & Titan 12T. I'll keep you posted

PS 
I took my Bandit out today and ran it on the old battery I had and it lasted less than 2 minutes LOL.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:39 PM
sloppyG

listen to thunderbird junkie

you'll easily be out $150 for a brushless setup and the upgrades required to handle the power in that bandit

for just a few bucks more, (if you want another buggy) that RTR brushless associated B4.1 is about $230, you get a whole new RC with better suspension, 2.4 ghz radio, brushless motor

dont' try running lipo's on the Xl5, it doesn't have a low voltage cutoff
Old 01-19-2011, 09:10 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

A 380 motor in a Slash?
Old 01-20-2011, 03:22 AM
cooldriver385

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

A 380 motor in a Slash?
More than likely he meant to say VXL3s.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:23 AM
DEMON1C

I could have sworn that he has XL-5 & Titan 12T in his slash (could be another car he has. He has several) that I am getting from him. 

sloppyG: I thought I read somewhere that the XL-5 does have a low voltage cut off for LiPos.?.? If not no big deal Ill just get a good NiMh. Also I don't plan on going brushless with this Bandit. After I get the ESC and motor from my friend all I plan on getting for it is a couple of batteries for it. Then I'm gonna start saving for a new truck.

After I get the ESC & Motor talking battires if I end up getting NiMh's ...... will 8.4v give me a little more speed than the standard 7.2? I'm trying to understand the battery voltages and how it will effect the car speed. I'd really like the car to be faster than it currently is without having to totally replace the gearbox with more durable parts. Any suggestions?

If I haven't already mentioned it you guys are awesome for the input and I really appreciate all the advise.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:43 AM
yotaman1991

More volts=bigger motor - more milliamps=bigger gas tank.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:24 AM
4goodbuys2

I think the old bandit looks better than the new one.
You could get a brushless system and lipo for your old bandit.
Or you could go with a different company and get a Hpi Blitz or something good like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.