Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Good 1/10 Kit Truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 01:46 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Good 1/10 Kit Truck

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

why would I ever drive a dual hunter when you consider the other options available for similar money?

do you have to drive a 1980 car to understand that a 2000 car is better?

unless someone has some nostalgia thing for the same RC they had when they were a kid, that dual hunter just makes no sense
If you have never driven one, then how can you be so sure that it's a bad truck?
On the car comparison, I would rather have a 1980 Bronco than a 2000 Sportage.
Agree
screw the 1993+ cars I hate pretty much every one I've drove. talking caddys STS's to toyota corollas can't stand em
best cars were from the 80s IMO
Gimmie an 80s car any day
Old 01-14-2011, 06:28 PM
sam rojas
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get yourself set up with good electronics (novak or MM Pro BL with a good 5600 to 7700 kv motor) and a comparable 2.4 ghz Rx/tx and good metal gear servos. - that's gonna put you at the $250 range right there if you go good condition used (double that or more for new). Then look around for well conditioned, maybe some hopped up, rollers for the $50 to $100 range. you can find SC10s, XXXTs, T4s, slashs, etc... to bash around or race and see what you really like. pass along what ya don't like, mod the s..t out of what ya do. maybe hold off on going nuts with the lipos and charger till you know what you want to run.

IMO The SC trucks don't work too well off a track - just don't handle like a buggy or truggy, flip constantly unless on packed dirt. The race based Truggies are fantastically fast, maneuverable, and tough as hell with great parts support (losi parts house, associated parts house, Tower Hobbies, A Main, RC Boyz - these guys ship in like 12 hours, and takes 2 -3 days to get your stuff usually). Always fun to watch one fly a good 20' off a jump and land it. 4wd 1/8ths are also a blast, but expect a whole new realm of cost. 4wd 1/12ths are a blast too (kinda small and compact, tough as hell, and can handle terrain similar to a 1/10th, which the micro 1/18th just can do) Can be a pain to work on cause everything is jammed in pretty tight.

Good luck.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:32 PM
sam rojas

and BTW - best RC vehicle ever made was from the 80's - Tamiya Sand Scorcher. Absolutely a beast for bashing, while also being hard to distinguish from an actual baja buggy when put together right. Had a whole bunch of hop ups avail in the day and cross-over parts use with other Tamiyas. Don't know how the new ones have turned out, but always thought it would be a blast to drop a BL on that old full metal tranny - narrow wheel base, probalby handle like a dragster. lol
Old 01-14-2011, 08:31 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007
Im taking your thoughts and opinions on this debate.
The SC10 is an awesome racer but Like I said a couple pages back it's not designed to beat around the yard with.
People do it but I like to keep my racers and bashers seperated. I dont backyard bash with a race car/truck.
A dual hunter or Blackfoot well of course they are not competitive for racing, an SC10 would kill both of them
in an actual race on a race track with jumps an so forth. And I watched a video someone posted with
the dual hunter climbing over rocks....you wont see an SC10 do that ever, I wouldnt want it scratched all to hell #1!
Climbing over rocks is not bashing. Why would you climb over rocks with something with independent suspension built to go fast?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:08 PM
bvak123

You guys are awesome! I never expected so much info on this.  This is definatly the best RC forum out there

Well I have aout a week before I try to buy something.  Right now I am leaning toward the Dualhunter for several reasons, if I can find one when the time comes.
1) I want a kit not a RTR.
2) Affordable MT kit.
3) I think a MT will better suit my needs (for now)
4) Unlike the Blackfoot and several others this had independant suspension which I like.
5) Parts are out there and it will be an enjoyable chalange to hop-up.  (I saw a youtube vid of a Dualhunter with rear steering[8D])

I have some technical question but I think I will start a new entry for that (after I research)

If anymore suggestion, please keep them coming.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:30 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

The SC10 is an awesome racer but Like I said a couple pages back it's not designed to beat around the yard with.
People do it but I like to keep my racers and bashers seperated. I dont backyard bash with a race car/truck.
A dual hunter or Blackfoot well of course they are not competitive for racing, an SC10 would kill both of them
in an actual race on a race track with jumps an so forth. And I watched a video someone posted with
the dual hunter climbing over rocks....you wont see an SC10 do that ever, I wouldnt want it scratched all to hell #1!
Climbing over rocks is not bashing. Why would you climb over rocks with something with independent suspension built to go fast?
ahh that is the issue your form of bashing does not equal his.
Hell I consider bashing driving down my street... But with the condition of my street it is about as brutal as a BMX track to some vehicles.
I've broke quite a few A-arms on my street from giant potholes.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:41 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

When one says "This truck is better for bashing than this truck", it implies that truck #1 is stronger, faster and/or more powerful. The SC10 is no rock crawler, but the Dual Hunter or whatever it is in that video has nothing on ThunderbirdJunkie's brushless SCX10 Honcho, either. Does that mean an SCX10 is better for bashing?
Old 01-14-2011, 09:57 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

When one says ''This truck is better for bashing than this truck'', it implies that truck #1 is stronger, faster and/or more powerful. The SC10 is no rock crawler, but the Dual Hunter or whatever it is in that video has nothing on ThunderbirdJunkie's brushless SCX10 Honcho, either. Does that mean an SCX10 is better for bashing?
Are you saying the SC10 will be better off road in the grass, dirt hills, ruts, etc than the dual hunter? The SC trucks are nice, but they are awful in those situations, which is what i call bashing. Basically carpet, a street, or smooth dirt(a track) are the only places a SC truck will do well. Just doesent make much sense for a basher to me.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:02 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

CD, with the right tires and setting up the suspension right, any truck is suitable for that.

ThunderbirdJunkie ran his SC10 in those situations with no issues. Would his Savage have been better for it? Sure.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:34 PM
cummins driver

CD, with the right tires and setting up the suspension right, any truck is suitable for that.

ThunderbirdJunkie ran his SC10 in those situations with no issues. Would his Savage have been better for it? Sure.
The right tires would require raising/cutting the body a good amount, because its not the tread of the tire, but more the fact that the things are too small to get the truck off the ground any. Why wouldnt you buy a truck more suited to where you are going to be driving?
Old 01-14-2011, 11:32 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: cummins driver
Why wouldnt you buy a truck more suited to where you are going to be driving?
You're right, ThunderbirdJunkie should [&:]

(not pictured: RC10B4, parts Savage, SC10, F103GT(x2), F103M, XXX-NT AD2, etc etc etc etc etc)
Old 01-15-2011, 05:41 AM
airmayle

Nice collection TBJ. I think you have all the terrain covered.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:58 AM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ahh that is the issue your form of bashing does not equal his.
Hell I consider bashing driving down my street... But with the condition of my street it is about as brutal as a BMX track to some vehicles.
I've broke quite a few A-arms on my street from giant potholes.
Well if you driving up an down the street on pavement wouldnt an onroad car be more suited?
I guess you could buy some road rage tires and put them on the dualhunter if your just playing in the street...
Better watch for traffic thou...I had an incident once when my B4 got ran over by a car, the lady that
ran my car over didnt even stop...My street is just too traffic filled to bash on it.[&:]
Old 01-15-2011, 07:43 AM
cummins driver

I was actually reffering to the OP when I said that, nice picture though. lol
Old 01-15-2011, 08:59 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Well if you driving up an down the street on pavement wouldnt an onroad car be more suited?
I guess you could buy some road rage tires and put them on the dualhunter if your just playing in the street...
Better watch for traffic thou...I had an incident once when my B4 got ran over by a car, the lady that
ran my car over didnt even stop...My street is just too traffic filled to bash on it.[&:]
not in my case
My street bottoms out my real car the pot holes are so bad, the one right infront of my house is about 6-8 inches deep, and 1.5 feet in diameter. We called the city for over a year cause the streets caving in they filled some of the potholes with this temporary patch(1-2 years ago) which is basically just gravel that shoots all over from cars driving over it, which then made the cars slide seeing traction on gravels is not very good, and they never came back to finish it. Hell next block over a water main broke a month ago, and they haven't bothered repairing it. Pretty much if its not downtown or what is considered an upscale neighborhood its ignored as far as repairs in chicago. Last time our street was worked on was 4-6 years ago that I can remember. I've been on backwater country gravel roads that were smoother than my street.

Hell the driving force behind me getting savages was my street cause my 1/10th ST's were getting too broken up
Cant imagine a on-road car even making it 20 feet.
Weird thing though my alley is perfectly flat, and smooth. When I had an on-road car I ran it back there, but the narrowness was kinda a pain (could barely turn it around)
Old 01-15-2011, 11:15 AM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: bvak123

You guys are awesome! I never expected so much info on this. This is definatly the best RC forum out there

Well I have aout a week before I try to buy something. Right now I am leaning toward the Dualhunter for several reasons, if I can find one when the time comes.
1) I want a kit not a RTR.
2) Affordable MT kit.
3) I think a MT will better suit my needs (for now)
4) Unlike the Blackfoot and several others this had independant suspension which I like.
5) Parts are out there and it will be an enjoyable chalange to hop-up. (I saw a youtube vid of a Dualhunter with rear steering )

I have some technical question but I think I will start a new entry for that (after I research)

If anymore suggestion, please keep them coming.

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...#ixzz1B8GZPt6k
In reply to point 4, I think you were looking at the older discontinued blackfoots. The current Blackfoot, the Blackfoot Xtreme, uses the same chassis as the Dual hunter, but is 2wd. Since the front and rear portions of the chassis are the same, you can upgrade a blackfoot xtreme to 4wd by getting another gearbox and set of driveshaft components. Also that means that 4 wheel steering is possible by getting another set of front suspension arms and adding a servo to the rear of the chassis(there are holes for mounting another servo there).
Old 01-17-2011, 08:39 PM
bvak123

Hmmm...Blackfoot, can be upgraded to a Dualhunter.  I like the way you think. 
Old 01-17-2011, 08:53 PM
cummins driver

The blackfoot is a great truck too as mentioned. With some good tires, the blackfoot will be a very capable truck even being 2wd. My wife's stampede will climb things that really surprised me with the tires I have on it. I think you would like the blackfoot fine and then you could always upgrade later
Old 01-17-2011, 09:00 PM
sloppyG

and if that blackfoot is single motor, it's going to leave you more options for an upgraded motor down the road

you're not going to run that silver can that comes with it for long, brushless is calling!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:50 PM
res3567

Thunderbirdjunkie struting his stuff....NICE!

ORIGINAL: cummins driver
Why wouldnt you buy a truck more suited to where you are going to be driving?

(not pictured: RC10B4, parts Savage, SC10, F103GT(x2), F103M, XXX-NT AD2, etc etc etc etc etc)
Old 01-17-2011, 10:12 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Miraculously, ThunderbirdJunkie found that roll of paper towels that had been missing for months[&:]
Old 01-19-2011, 07:34 AM
bvak123

Any thoughts on the Lunchbox kit?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Krazy Chicken

the lunchbox is a great kit, but it lacks in the performance area. but it is still pretty durable just needs bearings and oil shocks

here are my video's showing how well it does on different terrains

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...5A3A2C72949293
Old 01-23-2011, 03:25 PM
bvak123

Well, I went wiith the Dualhunter!  I can't remember who suggested it but, Thanks!  That was not even on the radar when I started this thread.  Thanks for all the help fellas.