Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Need help with a rc for my son

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 07:05 AM
mfroot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a rc for my son

Ok i have been doing rc buggys for about 5 years i just switched to brushless from nitro i have a losi 8e that i treid for the 1st time yesterday and with the 4s lipo its retarded fast.Ok my son is 10 and was really liking the new buggy (he did not care for the nitro) so i would like to get he a starter buggy,truck something 1/10 or 1/8 something not alot of money in case he does not get into it.I would like something that parts are easy to get i am sure i will need alot lol.The only thing i have seen so far is the REDCAT Tornado EPX PRO 1/10 Brushless Buggy RTR 4WD that looks like it will fit for what i think he would like so any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:49 PM
cooldriver385

Default RE: Need help with a rc for my son

Finding parts for a Redcat is not easy. Try anything from Traxxas, Losi, HPI, or Associated. If it's a bit too expensive for an RTR, try getting a roller off EBay, and then check out Hobbypartz.com for some cheap brushless systems, lipo batteries/NiMH, and chargers. Thats what I would do.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:58 PM
ETOWN

Thats what I would do as well.

ORIGINAL: cooldriver385

Finding parts for a Redcat is not easy. Try anything from Traxxas, Losi, HPI, or Associated. If it's a bit too expensive for an RTR, try getting a roller off EBay, and then check out Hobbypartz.com for some cheap brushless systems, lipo batteries/NiMH, and chargers. Thats what I would do.
Old 01-16-2011, 01:06 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you don't want alot of cash you could try the tamiya DF-02 a kit is like $114 (needs a radio) as a starter. Its 1/10th scale brushed 4WD.
Most parts are pretty easy to get, and with a few bucks in parts and 15-20 minutes you can strengthen the only weak part on it to prevent it from breaking(well besides the stock shocks those just suck).
I've upgraded mine quite a bit and run a BL system in it on 2s, its pretty damn fast(I'd estimate close to 40mph), and holds up quite well seeing it was never intended to go over 25 mph
Old 01-16-2011, 01:15 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the redcat is a decent buggy for the money. parts do have to be ordered on line tho. a few hobby shops stock parts, but not many.
the stock shock towers are to thin, but the upgraded billet alloy ones fix that. other than that it is a good buggy. pretty quick out of the box.
the stock 2000mah battery is OK, but you will want some higher MAH batteries(lipo is best) for longer runtimes.

you can sometimes find used traxxas rustler or bandit vxl's for $200. they are very tough trucks, and pretty quick as well. and all hobby shops stock parts for them.
the bandit xl-5 is not as fast, but is RTR for $200. its a brushed 2wd buggy, but is well known and quick enough for young ones. and, it can be upgraded to brushless later on.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:40 PM
mfroot

Thanks for the help i will start looking