Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

b4.1 racer !!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 06:26 AM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default b4.1 racer !!

Hey, ive been searching through rcs for a while now looking for the class/genre that really suits me.
Ive finally decided that its the buggy class that i really enjoy most, i just love how they are so planted on the track and sleek.

So im getting the Team associated b4.1 rtr brushed to race with at the offroad track that ill be going to.

I know this buggy and i know that its pretty sturdy and hassle free but to all you people who know, What are some things youd reccomend?

Im going to race it stock for a while then move it to brushless, either a castle sidewinder 4600kv setup or a sensored system.

I cant wait until i get the money up to buy the b4.1 but i guess im gonna have to (2-3 weeks)

so stay tuned, ill be doing some videos of race footage and any mods i do.

Thanks. Jack
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34954.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	1562742  
Old 02-13-2011, 07:33 AM
FoamyVictim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: b4.1 racer !!

I race a B4 as well. I suggest practice practice practice. Try to get the setup where you can push the car harder and harder. That car will make you a better driver.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:39 AM
Vic Z

That will be an awesome buggy for you. I have the T4.1 and absolutely love it. Unless I do something stupid, it is pretty maintenance free.
It will be fun and fast right out of the box, but two upgrades that you will want in fairly short time are a faster servo and better tires.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:43 AM
FahrtAutoRC

I look forward to seeing it. I am planning on making my next RC purchase (vehicle wise) one of these, but the brushless version. Lol ever since i got a brushless vehicle I dont even like the IDEA of brushed
ORIGINAL: plasmaedge

Hey, ive been searching through rcs for a while now looking for the class/genre that really suits me.
Ive finally decided that its the buggy class that i really enjoy most, i just love how they are so planted on the track and sleek.

So im getting the Team associated b4.1 rtr brushed to race with at the offroad track that ill be going to.

I know this buggy and i know that its pretty sturdy and hassle free but to all you people who know, What are some things youd reccomend?

Im going to race it stock for a while then move it to brushless, either a castle sidewinder 4600kv setup or a sensored system.

I cant wait until i get the money up to buy the b4.1 but i guess im gonna have to (2-3 weeks)

Thanks. Jack
Old 02-13-2011, 07:48 AM
ElectricGuy007

Good choice, i dont believe that car will disappoint you.
Old 02-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Traxxasizgud

I will be getting a rc10b4.1 soon also. With a few turnigy lipos, probably 5000mah
Old 02-13-2011, 05:46 PM
plasmaedge

ORIGINAL: HimmlerHimself

I look forward to seeing it. I am planning on making my next RC purchase (vehicle wise) one of these, but the brushless version. Lol ever since i got a brushless vehicle I dont even like the IDEA of brushed
ORIGINAL: plasmaedge

Thanks. Jack
Hey dude, i acn understand why youre getting this buggy hahaha.

Just some advice, if youre going to get the b4.1 id go for the brushed and add in youre own brushless system, a friend of mine has a sc10 with the reedy brushless and he really doesnt like it, he says its too slow and not really suited. I rether like the feel of it with the brushless but he seems to think its not good enough.

When i do upgrade this buggy il probably get

New shell and wing
New YELLOW rims (i love yellow)
New tyres, mabs goosebumps for my local track
Either a ccsidewinder 4600kv system or something similar.
Mabye a ball diff.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:49 PM
plasmaedge

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

I race a B4 as well. I suggest practice practice practice. Try to get the setup where you can push the car harder and harder. That car will make you a better driver.

I would say im already a decent driver but wouldnt say im anywhere near good, thats what im hoping it will hone my driving skills and have fun at the same time.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:50 PM
plasmaedge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Vi8gwzQ0ck

really cool video, good driver 
Old 02-13-2011, 06:40 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Early congradulations! The B4/B4.1 is well equipped from the start. Some things Iwould recommend picking up are support gear like good batteries, maybe another set of tires appropriate for the surface you're driving on, a few different pinons for changing gear ratios, a spare spur gear incase the original one gets chewed up and perhaps a bottle of extra shock oil. Also a good set of English sized Allen wrenches will help twist all those Allen head screws on the chassis.

Otherwise, as others have said the car is well designed and requires minimal maintenance. Just a good cleaning occasionally and watch out for loose screw/bolts.
Old 02-13-2011, 08:38 PM
plasmaedge

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

Early congradulations! The B4/B4.1 is well equipped from the start. Some things Iwould recommend picking up are support gear like good batteries, maybe another set of tires appropriate for the surface you're driving on, a few different pinons for changing gear ratios, a spare spur gear incase the original one gets chewed up and perhaps a bottle of extra shock oil. Also a good set of English sized Allen wrenches will help twist all those Allen head screws on the chassis.

Otherwise, as others have said the car is well designed and requires minimal maintenance. Just a good cleaning occasionally and watch out for loose screw/bolts.
Ive got the lipos
gonna get some goosebumps probably

if i need anything else ill just go to the LHS

Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm pretty sure it already has a ball diff.

i'd go with the factory team version, it has everything you'd want to upgrade.

before you buy tires or shock oil/springs check out what the hot setup is at your local track.
see what shock oil, pistons and springs they are running, same with the tires.

don't over look front tires either. also be aware that even though front tires look simple they do wear about as fast as rears.
once that nice edge is gone they are good for bashing but no good for the tracks.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:54 AM
The Hedgehog

Also please be aware that Castle combo is not great for racing. That and it's too much power to put down properly for racing most likely. Start with a 13.5 turn brushless then you can move up. Even if you think you are a good driver, wait until you race against people who have been racing 2wd buggy for quite some time [:@]
Old 02-14-2011, 08:42 AM
kaiser01

^ +1

too much power in a 2wd race buggy will drive you crazy. i run a 13.5 in our mod buggy class. the best guys use 10.5 but there are guys that can run a 17.5 and win.

you want a decent sensored system so you can run good race motors.

i'm running hobbywing's xe-run series 60amp esc with a speed passion 13.5. i also have a novak 8.5 (4000kv)and it's way to much for a groomed track.

slow is fast when it comes to 2wd buggy. don't worry about power until you can make a race without needing a turn marshall to flip your car over after you crashed.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 AM
The Hedgehog

I as well run a 13.5 in the mod class, power almost becomes a non factor in 2wd. Where do you race 2wd kaiser?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:50 AM
kaiser01

rchr in waterbury, but i haven't been since before the holidays.

(thats why i asked you in the lounge but i think you thought i was talikg about real cars lol)

where do you race?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 AM
sloppyG

I'd second or third that a good 13.5 with lipo is no slouch, on a track I don't think I'd want more power unless I practiced way more

even just goofing around 13.5 isn't tragically slow or anything
Old 02-14-2011, 08:56 AM
kaiser01

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

I'd second or third that a good 13.5 with lipo is no slouch, on a track I don't think I'd want more power unless I practiced way more

even just goofing around 13.5 isn't tragically slow or anything
ain't that the truth. even when i raced every wednesday evening i felt like a noob compared to the guys that practice multiple days a week.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:19 AM
BKoz559

kaiser, do you know what the KV rating is on your 13.5? I want to compare to see where I stand. My Orion BL is rated 2850KV, which I feel is on the slower end of the scale for a buggy, however, it's a torque beast! I haven't had the priveledge of racing it as there are no local tracks in my area. I don't know how competitive my setup is.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:06 AM
kaiser01

i think it's under 3000kv, prolly around 2800.

on the street it feels slow, but on the track it's ballz out. lol

you can't compare the "feel" of street vs track.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:15 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Don't mind ThunderbirdJunkie, just running a decade-old brushed motor in his B4.1 FT with a Novak Cyclone[&:] (FT B4 pictured; swapped this gear into his B4.1 FT)

In all seriousness...get the brushless version and go up 3 teeth on the pinion. The car will be very quick and reliable. Outside of that, just set it up properly for your track with tires, shock oil, and springs according, and tune from there.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:25 AM
BKoz559

I agree with the track vs. street feel. I'm geared 25/75 when I play in the street and I think it gets up to high 30s maybe 40 if I drive with the wind. Racing was so much fun when it was available here. Too bad.

Here's a curious question: how much do you fella's believe the rear wing affects the feel of the car? On the tracks I've seen it seems there's barely a long enough straight to gain enough speed for it to really create usable downforce. As you notice in my avatar pic, I prefer the "wingless" buggy look but since I drive in open lots or the street, perfomance issues aren't a big deal right now.

TBJ: Nice ride, sir. Yours appears to be a seasoned racer. Is that a 'Factory Team'?
Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkie was seasoned about 10 years ago...he just got back into racing last year. Both the B4s (the .1 and the old one) are FTs. He's still re-learning how to drive consistently.

Throwing together the old B4 FT for a kid at the track that races a 4w Slash and wants to race 2w buggy. Oddly enough, throwing a brushless system in it...the .1 is keeping the Cyclone and old Trinity 14 double[&:]

The B4.1 BL RTR is a 3300kv motor btw.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:01 PM
plasmaedge

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

i'm pretty sure it already has a ball diff.

i'd go with the factory team version, it has everything you'd want to upgrade.

before you buy tires or shock oil/springs check out what the hot setup is at your local track.
see what shock oil, pistons and springs they are running, same with the tires.

don't over look front tires either. also be aware that even though front tires look simple they do wear about as fast as rears.
once that nice edge is gone they are good for bashing but no good for the tracks.

the b4.1 rtr come with the gear diff.

im wanting the gear diff just for its simplicity at the beginning and while i gt used to the car withought having to worry about maintaining the ball diff.

One i get used to the buggy ill buy the ball diff and work from there.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:05 PM
plasmaedge

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Also please be aware that Castle combo is not great for racing. That and it's too much power to put down properly for racing most likely. Start with a 13.5 turn brushless then you can move up. Even if you think you are a good driver, wait until you race against people who have been racing 2wd buggy for quite some time [:@]
The buggy and st drivers all run cc4600s and novak 8.5s 10.5s and ezrun/exerun systems.

The thing with my local track is that its a sticky clay track with a LOAD of broken up clay on the surface so as youre driving your tyres will get clogged with mud. People run high kv setups because as they accellerate the mud actually flings out of their tyres and they run on the very surface of the track because their tyres ballon and dig in. They also run either goosebumps or step pins.

Im just gonna run the brushed setup until i get cormfortable with how the buggy feels and then upgrade from there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.