Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

150a hobbyking ESC is done...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:12 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 150a hobbyking ESC is done...

Well after several months, its done. It had started acting up a while back where it took forever to get through the 4 initial beeps. Then it worked fine with no problems. One day, I guess i got it a little wet, but im not sure. It was acting weird. I took it apart and dried it out and then it worked fine again, and I have ran it several times since then with no problems. Then last time i ran it, it was fine, i only ran it about 5 minutes because i broke an A-Arm by hitting a telephone pole with my MGT. Esc was working fine. So I stuck it in the closet inside the house. So i got it back together, charged my lipo's tonight and went out to give it a go. It didnt have anything but reverse. I brought it in and took it apart and couldnt get it to do anything but reverse. Finally i turned it on and it let some magic smoke and and its pretty much done I guess. Sad to see it go. It always ran stone cold even in the heat of summer and worked good.

Anyways, I guess whats done is done. So what ESC do I buy now? This is a 13lb truck that i use mainly for hillclimbing and stuff, so its gonna have to be a pretty heavy duty 1/8 scale ESC.

I was thinking about the XErun 80a ESC. I thought Kershaw sold them, but i dont see them on his site anymore? I would probably already have one ordered. I found them on ebay, but they are about $95 on their, which is a little more than kershaw had them for I think. What other options under $100 do i have that are good? I could try another one of these, but I think maybe something else would be better.

Not really interested in paying the $$ for an MMM, but how is the Q-Base ESC on the flux 2350? I see they can be had for around $100. What castle ESC is that equivelant to? It seems castle has great customer support, so maybe i should try one of theirs.

Or I could always neuter it and run it with the brushed system for a while[&:]

Thanks

Eric
Old 02-14-2011, 08:23 PM
cummins driver

Default RE: 150a hobbyking ESC is done...

Here is an XErun for 82.00 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Model-Brushle...item3cb48e61f7

Ill wait and see what everyone has to say first though.

Eric
Old 02-14-2011, 08:33 PM
rubber_junkie

80A be under too much stress in truck

hk150A are great value for buck$$ an in budget get another (how many cells ran? few folk upgrade power capacitors, sure those haven't gone? )
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10370

theres turnigy new esc on offer rebradged toro8
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14635

MMM good but have to be carefully with filmware update as quite a few over here in uk gone up in smoke
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Castle-Creatio...item2eb30a327a
Old 02-14-2011, 08:50 PM
cummins driver

The worst thing about ordering from hobbyking is that most of their ESC's are not in the U.S. and so shipping ends up being $15-20 which hurts the price a lot. Thanks for the links though, im keeping an open mind here. Not real biased when it comes to electronics as long as it works good and doesent cost a fortune.

Eric
Old 02-14-2011, 09:16 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have hobbyking's turnigy trackstar 150amp ESC and program card on the way. it think it was about $90 shipped for both. i plan to use it in my savage on 4s lipo.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:53 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

You realize that in your quest to save a few dollars, you can get a Tekin RX8 for like $160 new right?

If you can afford $100, you can afford 3 more 20s. Really, dude.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:37 AM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

You realize that in your quest to save a few dollars, you can get a Tekin RX8 for like $160 new right?

If you can afford $100, you can afford 3 more 20s. Really, dude.
I can afford it no problem DUUUUDE, but its not worth that to me and im not going to pay that much for one. FYI, $160 is double what I can get the XErun 80a for, and I have heard that ESC is great.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:38 AM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

i have hobbyking's turnigy trackstar 150amp ESC and program card on the way. it think it was about $90 shipped for both. i plan to use it in my savage on 4s lipo.
Have you read much about those ESC's? I havent seen anything about them yet, but they look like a tekin.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:14 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-c-xerun-150a-sd-v1.html $99 shipped (out of stoc currently )
I use that in a savage with no issues. Sucker don't even get warm.
Used a MM pro at 1st in my rig which got too hot after 10 mins of running it.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:18 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Have you read much about those ESC's? I havent seen anything about them yet, but they look like a tekin.
i recall reading a few reviews on the hobbyking site. i picked it over the ezrun 150 ESC only cause that one wasnt in stock. its rated for 6s and i plan to run 4s. so i figure it should last awhile.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11736.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1564044  
Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 AM
cummins driver

Im thinking about the HPI Q-Base, but havent made up my mind. Do you guys think castle will warranty something bought on ebay if you keep the ebay purchase invoice? I would assume they will. What i like is the flat rate repair/replacement fee castle has after warranty is out, and their 1 year warranty after purchase.

If the q-base can handle the Flux, it should handle my MGT no problem. I dont do any racing, just wheelies, some speed runs, and hill climbing(which is normally 1/2 throttle or so).

I may just give it a try. I can get one for right around $100. Can i program it without the castle link just using the beeps until i buy the link?

Eric
Old 02-15-2011, 07:31 AM
sloppyG

I'm having trouble with my large RC truck too

it's burning out all the electronics, so what I'm thinking of doing is replacing all the electronics with new ones that are only rated at half the capacity of the old ones

I mean, if I burned out a 150a ESC, an 80a one would probably be amazing and trouble free right?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:33 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

it's burning out all the electronics, so what I'm thinking of doing is replacing all the electronics with new ones that are only rated at half the capacity of the old ones

I mean, if I burned out a 150a ESC, an 80a one would probably be amazing and trouble free right?

lol, i like the way you think.

really, you don't want to go smaller. try an ezrun 150 if you are on a budget but don't go smaller.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 AM
cummins driver

Gee wouldnt the ESC run hot if it was being over worked? This one was NEVER hot. Hmm, what about that. Probably just a failure due to something else giving out rather than being over worked. What about that?

And wow, look! The Savage flux 2350 weighs darn near identical to my monster GT, and the tires are the same size, and mine is even geared for a tad less speed! Yep, guess since HPI is confident the Q-Base ESC will handle their 13lb truck, and they put a warranty behind it, that I should definately buy something else when my truck is darn near identical to theirs.

Maybe you should think next time before you get to thumpin on your keyboard. You might as well say every person who has had an MMM go up in flames should run something bigger. Yet most of them buy another MMM. Not everything fails because of the load on it.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:29 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I'm not confident Castles can handle anything at 13lbs
just coming from a dissatisfied castle esc owner

BTW from what I read from what other people posted awhile back castle will NOT warranty a HPI rebranded ESC HPI would have to.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:30 AM
sloppyG

generally when something fails, you don't look to replace the part that failed with a less capable part

don't you see where it sounds at least a little silly on some levels that if a 150a ESC breaks, to replace it with a 80a?

I personally have run an older mamba max on an e-revo with no issues so far
Old 02-15-2011, 08:38 AM
cummins driver

generally when something fails, you don't look to replace the part that failed with a less capable part

don't you see where it sounds at least a little silly on some levels that if a 150a ESC breaks, to replace it with a 80a?

I personally have run an older mamba max on an e-revo with no issues so far
I see where you were coming from but you didnt exactly come across with it how i would have if i were trying to help someone.

Regardless, I feel like the electronics in the castle stuff are probably of a little higher quality, and like i said, if HPI trusts the Q-Base enough to warranty it in the flux, I might just give it a try since the trucks are darn near identical.

Eric
Old 02-15-2011, 08:46 AM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Personally I'm not confident Castles can handle anything at 13lbs
just coming from a dissatisfied castle esc owner

BTW from what I read from what other people posted awhile back castle will NOT warranty a HPI rebranded ESC HPI would have to.
I sent caslte an e-mail about the warranty thing so we will see what they say. I feel their ESC's are good for the most part, but they do have some problems. If the ESC lasts 2 years, and I can replace it or have it repaired for a standard $50 fee, that isnt too bad. It'd be nice if one would last for 6 or 8 years, but im not sure brushless is to that level of reliability yet, at least not the big 1/8 ESC's.

Eric
Old 02-15-2011, 08:59 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought it was pretty well known that hpi isn't the best at pairing esc's with their trucks. lots of guys had failures because the esc wasn't up to the task.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:00 AM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The difference between the MMM and the Q-Base ESC is very little, why would you consider the Q-Base?

You get no warranty with Q-Base, it's HPI rebranded and you won't get warranty from HPI either because you didn't buy the truck.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:15 AM
sloppyG

i'd agree with the above about using castle stuff over HPI branded castle stuff, just for ease of warranty in case something goes wrong

as much as I use and like castle products, they've certainly lost a bit of the shine from their image by having what would seem to be a higher failure rate on some of their more recent ESC's

the customer service still seems to be top notch, but I think some may say the quality has taken a bit of a dive
the tekin seems to be the hot ticket at the present moment
Old 02-15-2011, 09:33 AM
ElectricGuy007

i recall reading a few reviews on the hobbyking site. i picked it over the ezrun 150 ESC only cause that one wasnt in stock. its rated for 6s and i plan to run 4s. so i figure it should last awhile.
Im kinda iffy about that esc. It does look like a Tekin RX8 copy. You can copy a name brand esc all you want
but it will never be as good as the original. I dont get why people buy this stuff then it will last maybe a month
before it gives out on you. If it was a Tekin it would last for years before you'd need a new one.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:43 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: ElectricGuy007

Im kinda iffy about that esc. It does look like a Tekin RX8 copy. You can copy a name brand esc all you want
but it will never be as good as the original. I dont get why people buy this stuff then it will last maybe a month
before it gives out on you. If it was a Tekin it would last for years before you'd need a new one.
only time will tell!
i have a few of the ezrun ESC's and they work great.
and why to people always compare 2 products that have very differnt costs? $90 is not $160. Yes, its only another $70, but $10 is more and $70 is quiet a bit more.
i have no problem with "clones" either. my KM baja has been very good to me, at nearly half the cost of a HPI. now, i know a HPI may be faster/more durable, but mine works well and is fun. thats all i ask out of my stuff....that it works and is fun to drive.

my goal in buying that ESC was to build a "cheap" flux. so far, i have the $90 ESC, a $100 roller, a $30 motor. i just need a pinion gear and fab up a battery tray. having a 4s brushless savage for under $300 will make my very happy

and im sorry, but to me the 2 dont look that much alike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22950.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	1564161   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25571.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1564162  
Old 02-15-2011, 09:55 AM
sloppyG

and why to people always compare 2 products that have very differnt costs? $90 is not $160. Yes, its only another $70, but $10 is more and $70 is quiet a bit more.
here's why

if you spend $90, and end up with a crappy product and have to buy another product then you've spent more than the guy who just spent $160 in the first place

the old addage is, buy it right once, or try and save a few bucks and end up buying it twice
Old 02-15-2011, 10:12 AM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

i thought it was pretty well known that hpi isn't the best at pairing esc's with their trucks. lots of guys had failures because the esc wasn't up to the task.
Which truck are you talking about? The Savage flux HP? Traxxas runs the same BL system in their stuff. Where do you even go up from an MMM without paying $300 for the ESC anyways? It doesent seem tekin is much if any better, and i hear of lots of esc failures of all brands, so at this point it seems like a crap shoot.

Pay $80 and have it go out, or pay $160 and have it go out. The only thing you dont know is how long it will last before it does go out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.