Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Is it worth it to get a SC Truck

Old 02-20-2011, 06:53 AM
superotto80

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it worth it to get a SC Truck

Hello all,

I am new to RC and have been quickly caught up in the addiction. I currently own a Pede Xl-5 which is a blast and a great truck to learn on. I already have a 72' Chevy C10 Proline body coming. After doing some reading and watching videos i really am interested in SC trucks. They seem to beall around fun trucks and I may even try my hand in racing but not sure. I am looking at the Blitz and Slash, both 2wd. My question is are SC trucks worth getting if I decide not to race? I already have a pede to bash around with, what does a SC truck offer that a Pede does not?
Old 02-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Moontan13

Default RE: Is it worth it to get a SC Truck

I have an SC10 and it's a lot of fun to bash around with, plus there's a lot of SC racing in my area. Nothing broken so far, but I tend to be gentle.
By pede you mean traxxas stampede? Gotcha. I think thats more of a basher than any SC10 type truck. Nothing wrong with wanting something different. Have you considered a drift car? A lot of guys are building those on 4x4 road chassis, the TT01 is popular for that.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:56 AM
sloppyG

nothing really, other than a different look
Old 02-20-2011, 08:00 AM
ScottStaypuff

I would think the Slash would make the better basher, it has higher ground clearance. But since you have the Pede, I would go Blitz in case you want to race a little. Its a good mix of racer/basher. Its really well built and handles well.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:47 AM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: ScottStaypuff

I would think the Slash would make the better basher, it has higher ground clearance. But since you have the Pede, I would go Blitz in case you want to race a little. Its a good mix of racer/basher. Its really well built and handles well.
+1

Blitz is a very good truck. Seems to get lost in the SC conversation nowadays.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Lurp06x

if you are new and want to get in to racing sc trucks are the best
Old 02-20-2011, 03:36 PM
ScottStaypuff

ORIGINAL: Lurp06x

if you are new and want to get in to racing sc trucks are the best

Yeah, stock 2wd short course is huge at most tracks (as well as mod). We all have our favorites but most of the trucks are pretty good and durable. Plus the bodies allow for a little rubbing without getting tangled. Be warned, racing is addictive...
Old 02-20-2011, 03:42 PM
rc awesome

Slash's are great for bashing, but the blitz is a better racer. For some reason my slash's rear suspension gets really sticky for some reason. Other than the titan motor, it's a great Truck.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:19 PM
superotto80

Thanks for the input guys, I still think I am eventually going to get a SC truck and try racing, but I dont know what truck to get and I am in no rush. Besides the Slash and Blitz I am very interested in the new Venom Gambler that is suppose to come out soon. It seems like a great deal so I may wait to see how that truck is.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:32 PM
ETOWN

Another good choice would be the Losi SCT. I have both a Blitz and a Slash. The Blitz is lighter in weight but the Slash can take more of a beating. Both are good trucks. I am looking into converting one of my Losi desert trucks into a Losi SCT they share the same parts to do the swap or I might just buy me a Losi SCT.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:37 PM
sloppyG

I wouldn't be waiting on Venom, let other people be the guinea pigs on that one

people are hyping the truck up, but until they put a few more quality products out on the market, I'm not betting my $$$ that the gambler is one of the first quality items they bring to market

I have an SC10, and it's nice but I've got a B4 as well so I like the similarity between the two vehicles, but without that brand loyalty/familiarity I think I'd be buying that Losi XXT-sct or whatever the new ones called, it looks darn nice!
Old 02-20-2011, 05:38 PM
rc awesome

The sc10 is probally the best for racing as far as short course trucks go.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:45 PM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what about the kyosho ultima sc?

its a nice truck and a really good racer.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:50 PM
mc4798

In the hands of Tebo it is the best.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:25 AM
snapper21

If you're unsure of whether you're going to race or not you may want to consider holding off on the purchase, or prepurchasing the team associated sc10 4x4 that's coming out soon.
Having a 4x4 gives you a more diverse terrain ability for bashing, trailing, racing, or whatever.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:34 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Umm I don;t know what SLASH these guys own but from my experience a Slash is NOT a very good basher. Now can it bash..of course yes it can..but can it take a serious beating? I know mine did not.

IF you are not going to race SC then i'd highly suggest another truck. (I.E. HPI E-Savage, Traxxas Summit (a bit slower), Savage Flux, E-Revo)

Now a Slash is a GREAT truck, very good SC truck and fun to play around with. I dislike it as a BASHER because.... it has a low chassis that snags on everything, also the tires are too small so it's much slower in grass and off road IF it's not dirt packed.

Dirt packed the slash will kick some butt! But say a "Park" where most people run it's going to be spinning it's wheels (2wd's) and I know this because I owned one and I bashed last night with my buddy who has a 2wd slash with an awesome brushless system in it. He was spinning like crazy, got stuck ALL the time (in which I pushed him out about 10 times with my Summit) and he chewed up a spur gear, he also breaks casters and a few other parts regularly and complains about it a lot.

So take it for what it's worth, just saying this is my experience with them.

IF your goign to run SC, then I highly suggest you do buy a Slash but I don;t suggest it as a main basher... IMO.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:31 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

The SC trucks are not good in rougher offroad situations from what i have seen. They are awful in grass, and dirt hills, but they are great for pavement, and smooth dirt. There are better options for bashing for sure, but if you are racing, I think you will be fine.

Eric
Old 02-21-2011, 03:28 PM
FahrtAutoRC

ORIGINAL: rc awesome

For some reasonmy slash's rear suspension gets really sticky for some reason.

Had this issue with my 4X4 and I solved it by cleaning everything, took the hinge pins out, cleaned em, polished up with scotch-brite and useda drying lube (Jig-A-Loo is my favorite) and put it all back together, smooth as butter now. O, and keep it clean and maintained!!!

As for Slash vs Blitz, as most of the others said, OUTOFTHE2 OFTHEM, the Slash 2wd is the better basher. The Blitz is a wonderful all-around truck for light duty everything, but it shines on the track where it is smooth. The only fallback to the Blitz is the notoriously weak and unreliable firebolt motor/ESC combo. We had problems there in my fiancee's truck and replaced it for a while with the stocker out of the Losi XXX-SCT and it was great, but now she races MOD-CORR with a MMP ESC and the Velineon 3500 motor, she LOVES her truck.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:08 PM
rc awesome

ORIGINAL: HimmlerHimself

Had this issue with my 4X4 and I solved it by cleaning everything, took the hinge pins out, cleaned em, polished up with scotch-brite and useda drying lube (Jig-A-Loo is my favorite) and put it all back together, smooth as butter now. O, and keep it clean and maintained!!!

As for Slash vs Blitz, as most of the others said, OUTOFTHE2 OFTHEM, the Slash 2wd is the better basher. The Blitz is a wonderful all-around truck for light duty everything, but it shines on the track where it is smooth. The only fallback to the Blitz is the notoriously weak and unreliable firebolt motor/ESC combo. We had problems there in my fiancee's truck and replaced it for a while with the stocker out of the Losi XXX-SCT and it was great, but now she races MOD-CORR with a MMP ESC and the Velineon 3500 motor, she LOVES her truck.
So all you did was clean the shocks off and it was good?
Old 02-21-2011, 06:40 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Lol no, sorry, need to elaborate I guess. I cleaned and Jig-A-Loo'd all the moving parts, shock mounts, hinge pins, carriers, etc. basically anything that moves with the suspension. I also emptied and cleaned and refilled the shock oil, but i was changing the viscosity anyways so I dont think that is 100% neccesary. I say use a drying lube (like the 'Loo) because it will keep it nice and moveable and lubed but wont attract the dirt and grime like a wet lube will (ie: WD40). Just general maitenance should correct it.

And in the even that it is your hige pins binding, I suggest cleaning them and rolling them on a flat piece of glass to ensure they are smooth and straight, if they arent, then THERE is your problem and they should be replaced.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:31 PM
mc4798

IMO it is worth it to get one.

Fun to drive and look pretty cool. They are pretty durable just because the wheels are covered and big ol nasty bumpers never hurt.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:06 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

XXX-SCT. Best short course truck on the market.

Tougher than the Slash.

better handling than the SC10.

Blitz can't turn.

Now go get one and tear up the track
Old 02-22-2011, 04:41 AM
FahrtAutoRC

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

better handling than the SC10.

Blitz can't turn.

Now go get one and tear up the track

Read my sig
Old 02-22-2011, 07:29 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Yes, the XXX-SCT is Chuck Norris of short course trucks[&:]

The XXX-SCT doesn't wreck, the pipes just want so badly to touch it...
Old 02-22-2011, 03:11 PM
rc awesome

Lol no, sorry, need to elaborate I guess. I cleaned and Jig-A-Loo'd all the moving parts, shock mounts, hinge pins, carriers, etc. basically anything that moves with the suspension. I also emptied and cleaned and refilled the shock oil, but i was changing the viscosity anyways so I dont think that is 100% neccesary. I say use a drying lube (like the 'Loo) because it will keep it nice and moveable and lubed but wont attract the dirt and grime like a wet lube will (ie: WD40). Just general maitenance should correct it.

And in the even that it is your hige pins binding, I suggest cleaning them and rolling them on a flat piece of glass to ensure they are smooth and straight, if they arent, then THERE is your problem and they should be replaced.

What type of lube should i use?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.