Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

First truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 04:23 AM
benzy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First truck

Ok i want to start off and say i did search first and couldnt find exactly what i was after. I feel real stupid asking this but i have zero experience so...

What would be a good offroad electric to start off with. A friend has a ton of motors and a set of gears that i can have. They are about 10 years old but not abused. I would use this all for fun and not to compete. I want a stadium truck that can move through grass with a decent amount of speed. I am going to college here soon and want to take one there with the open areas. I cant afford a traxxus emaxx. That was what got me looking in the first place but it is just too much money. Total i have about 200 to spend on everything. I know that isnt much but i already have the motors and gears so that should help some. I have baseball fields near my house that i can run on(the infield) too if that matters. Thanks for all the help and sorry for asking this if it is a common question.

EDIT: Oh yeah i have an old novak rooster something or other esc that my dad bought a while ago for a boat. Long story short the boat burned up but the esc is still good. This too is about ten years old but in nice condition.

EDIT AGAIN: I found the esc and it is a rooster revesible. I also have a Promax charger that charges up to 7 cell packs at 1700 mAH
Old 08-08-2003, 04:46 AM
Prelude

Default First truck

evader and rustler are both decent choice i would think
Old 08-08-2003, 04:57 AM
benzy2

Default First truck

at the second i am thinking of the rustler rtr with mechanical esc. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXJE53A4&P=V This way i can change to my novak rooster and not pay for the esc. i would buy two 1700 mah 7 cell batteries also. Is there a better setup that i am missing?
Old 08-08-2003, 03:28 PM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

Default First truck

Here is my suggestion.

Since you are wanting to run on grass and basically bash with the truck 4wd would be much preferred.

In this case I would recommend an HPI RS4 MT. They generally go for around $150.00 and are in kit form so you would have to assemble the truck. I would also suggest replacing the stock tires with some Proline Bowties or Gladiator II's. That would run you a bit more money but would be worth it in the end.

You will also need a transmitter, receiver and servo. For this I would recommend the Futaba T2PH. It's a great, reliable set up that comes with the transmitter, receiver and one servo for 43.99 from tower hobbies.

This would put you at around 195.00 and since you already have an ESC and a battery you wouldn't need anything else but a charger. If you don't have a charger spend at least $50.00 on a decent one, it will be well worth it in the end.

In all reality going up to $250.00 would be easier to accommodate everything you want to do. This would allow the upgrade to tires, tools for building a kit or maintenance, glue for tires, an extra battery or two (cheap $10.00 duratrax sharks work well for the money), etc.

Anyway, that's my .02 worth.
Old 08-08-2003, 06:24 PM
benzy2

Default First truck

ok. Ill look into that. I dont have any batteries but i do have a 1700 mAH charger that will charge 7 cells. I also have a futaba radio and reciever from the boat. It isnt a stick radio but it should work fine. i could always change later if it doesnt work right. Then all i would need is batteries and the car, right?
Old 08-11-2003, 01:57 AM
Smokinjoe6450
My Feedback: (6)

Default First truck

If you are just looking to bash around.....I would get the Traxxas Stampede.

This would do better in the grass than a stadium truck:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXJE66**&P=0

This combo comes w/ the radio so all you would need to buy are some batteries:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSF02&P=0

hope this helps
Old 08-11-2003, 02:03 AM
benzy2

Default First truck

really? i was kinda under the impression that the monster trucks would be slower because of weight. i guess a MT would be cool too. I ll look into it.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:11 AM
usagi

Default First truck

Your better off with a evader and rustler, the Hpi MT will ( i own one ) but i really rather you see get a evader and rustler. Traxxas is a great starter car.
Old 08-11-2003, 02:51 AM
Smokinjoe6450

Default First truck

The MT have more ground clearence and will perform better in grass. The stadium trucks are mostly designed for dirt. I would seriously look into the 2wd mt if you are just bashing. They are not that much heavier and are more durable
Old 08-11-2003, 03:04 AM
benzy2

Default First truck

Well if i put a nice stock motor in it and run in my yard will it move fast enough to be fun? My novak esc only will run up to a 17turn motor. I guess i could put a 17 turn in it. I just am afraid this is gonna putt around and not be much fun. Lets just compare to the tmaxx. My neighbor got one and i know how fast that goes(it is stock) so will a stampede(or evader/rustler) with a 17turn and a esc to handle it be anywhere close to keeping up. I dont expect it to and i would be happy if it came anywhere close. I have a cheap toy rc car and it really lost interest in a hurry as it couldnt move mor ethan 5 mph in grass.

So i guess it all comes down to can i get even 20 mph in grass of any truck(monster or stadium) using a 17 turn(or slower) motor and a novak rooster(not super) esc.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:47 AM
Billiam411

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First truck

I have the RS4 MT, and know alot about it. If you're going to get it, switch tires immediatly. The belt hasen't snaped at all with me, I've had it for years.
Old 08-11-2003, 03:00 PM
Smokinjoe6450

Default First truck

there is no way you will keep up w/ the TMAXX with a 17 turn motor......no matter what you have
Old 08-12-2003, 12:59 AM
benzy2

Default First truck

i dont want to keep up. I just want to hit 20mph. I know his tmaxx goes way faster that that.