Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What is my Slash 4x4 Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Cutless009
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is my Slash 4x4 Worth?

I'm not looking to sell it at the moment, but I am wondering what people would pay for it if I was. Below is a list of updates and a few pictures.

Suspension:
STRC Front/Rear Shock Towers
STRC Shock Caps
Traxxas Sway Bar Kit Black Front/Back
RPM Rear Hub Carriers
RPM A-Arms Front and Rear
Traxxas Blue-Rate Springs (+20%) Front and Back
Team Losi 80wt Shock Oil w/ 3-hole Shock Pistons (Custom Tuned Suspension)

Drivetrain:
STRC Motor Heatsink
Team Losi Red Motor Heatsink and Fan (red)
1/8 Pinion Adapter
1/8 12t Pinion Gear
STRC Driveshaft
Traxxas ESC Cooling Fan Option

Handling:
Pro-Line Split-Six Wheels (Black)
Pro-Line Caliber Short-Course Tires
Pro-Line Switch On-Road Tires
Savox SC-1258TG Super Speed Titanium Gear Digital Servo
STRC Aluminum Bellcrank Set (Red)

Chassis:
RPM Front Bumper w/ RPM Light Bracket (Black)
RPM Rear Bumper w/ RPM Mud Flaps and Rear Light Set (Black)
RPM Nerf Bars
Pro-Line Ford F-150 Short Course Body for Slash 4x4
JConcepts over-tray for Slash 4x4 (modified for cooling)

I'm sure I've forgotten some things. This baby is loaded! lol.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:04 PM
sloppyG

Default RE: What is my Slash 4x4 Worth?

a new one is just over 300, so yours, used... maybe $175 if you find the right guy
Old 03-06-2011, 03:00 PM
meef rustler

The rule of thumb is you get 1/2 back of what you paid.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:31 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Two fiddy at most.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:57 PM
res3567

res wants to ask TBJ.....what does "fiddy mean"?
ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Two fiddy at most.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:02 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Say it out loud. Two Fiddy. Then apply it to money
Old 03-06-2011, 04:03 PM
VS30

"fiddy" = Fifty And I would gladly pay you 300..... cash....
Old 03-06-2011, 04:05 PM
res3567

LOL!!!!
ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Say it out loud. Two Fiddy. Then apply it to money
Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 PM
rc awesome

IF you were ever to sell it I would be interested 
Old 03-06-2011, 04:25 PM
res3567

Thinkn bout gettn me one.....but a chassis with no suspension and work my way up.Will all of these upgrades make it durable, handle better, and cut down on maintanence? I saw a review on Ultamite RC.....and it got me to thinkn.....don't really want to race, just mainly bash......and you can put those big wheels and tires on it as well.....The Pede is nice, but it aint as versatile......
Old 03-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Cutless009

All these upgrades make it damn near impossible to break. I stuffed it into a basketball goal at 40+ mph the other day. Only thing that happened was the pinion gear came loose. Basically all of the trouble areas on the slash have been handled, handling has been upgraded, and the suspension has been tuned for a balance between track usage and bashing.

this thing is bulletproof.

ORIGINAL: res3567

Thinkn bout gettn me one.....but a chassis with no suspension and work my way up.Will all of these upgrades make it durable, handle better, and cut down on maintanence? I saw a review on Ultamite RC.....and it got me to thinkn.....don't really want to race, just mainly bash......and you can put those big wheels and tires on it as well.....The Pede is nice, but it aint as versatile......
Old 03-06-2011, 04:37 PM
rc awesome

ORIGINAL: Cutless009

All these upgrades make it damn near impossible to break. I stuffed it into a basketball goal at 40+ mph the other day. Only thing that happened was the pinion gear came loose. Basically all of the trouble areas on the slash have been handled, handling has been upgraded, and the suspension has been tuned for a balance between track usage and bashing.

It looks bullet proof! I have a slash 2wd I would love to have a slash 4x4! How are the tires on it? I would pay like 200$ or so

Old 03-06-2011, 04:41 PM
res3567

How about maintainence? The review said one trouble area was the out drives? Getting dirt and sand up in em and making them not as telescopic anymore.....

Old 03-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Cutless009

The maintenance on this truck consists of charging batteries, and brushing the dirt off of it after running it.

Really only $200? With over $1,000 invested? thats a shame lol.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:07 PM
res3567

OHHHH.....$1000???......goodness.........what were the immediate trouble areas for you first....that you addressed quickly?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:07 PM
sloppyG

The maintenance on this truck consists of charging batteries, and brushing the dirt off of it after running it.

it's a toy, not a mutual fund... what did you expect?

also, you dropped a grand and you're still sitting on the stock motor????
Old 03-06-2011, 05:12 PM
rc awesome

How about maintainence? The review said one trouble area was the out drives? Getting dirt and sand up in em and making them not as telescopic anymore.....

I have problems with them on my slash 2wd alsoYou just have to clean the suspension regulary. Hing pins, out drives ect

Old 03-06-2011, 05:14 PM
rc awesome

You have 1000$ invested!? Maybe 300$ or so. Hope i'm not insulting you or anything, thats a very nice truck, its just that used RCs don't normally get up to high in the price range.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:18 PM
res3567

The review said is was easy to take apart....BTW....did you get my new link about your shocks? And I take it you are satisfied with your Slash?
ORIGINAL: rc awesome

I have problems with them on my slash 2wd alsoYou just have to clean the suspension regulary. Hing pins, out drives ect

Old 03-06-2011, 05:21 PM
rc awesome

The review said is was easy to take apart....BTW....did you get my new link about your shocks? And I take it you are satisfied with your Slash?
ORIGINAL: rc awesome

Yeah, thanks that really helped. I'm satisfided with my slash, except for the crappy shocks and titan 12t motor. I would recomed it 4x4 sounds even better. Like the dude said on the vid..... if you want it then buy it

Old 03-06-2011, 05:26 PM
res3567

Oh....you saw it....ok.....you ever consider upgrading to the VXL setup?......crazy fast! My dad has the XL-5 Rustler and it is ok in terms of speed.....Yea....I am leaning towards a Slash 4x4...
Old 03-06-2011, 06:05 PM
rc awesome

Oh....you saw it....ok.....you ever consider upgrading to the VXL setup?......crazy fast! My dad has the XL-5 Rustler and it is ok in terms of speed.....Yea....I am leaning towards a Slash 4x4...
You mean that link that wouldn't work? I had to reload the page for it to work. It didn't say anything about wet lipos

Old 03-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Cutless009

I bought this truck used about 8 months ago for $300, I've since dropped somewhere between $700 and $800 on hop-ups, upgrades, and to replace known weak spots, as well as make the steering more responsive (it has a really nice linear feel to it, as opposed to the slightly twitchy stock steering), and tuning the suspension so that it could be fast around a track and still be drive-able on the road when I want to bash around.

You can steer into a corner at ~45mph with this truck and it will stay flat, but the suspension stays soft enough to eat whoop-dee's out on the track without bouncing all over the track down the back straight.  It's set up for lift-off over-steer, so as you come off the gas to go into a corner, it turns in harder, letting you accelerate out faster, more like a 1/8 buggy than short course.  This makes it faster around the track, and also makes it much more competitive in a crowd because it gives you more line options for overtaking.

Out on the road and in random off-road, it jumps and lands like a beauty.  It's well balanced and stays flat and has good air-control.  It will bottom out on really high jumps (7-8ft or higher), but the suspension eats up most other jumps and lets it continue on it's way.  I race with a 2S, but if I want to go out and bash, I toss in a 3s and make speed runs up to about 55-60mph.  On a 3S you can hardly go full speed because the tires balloon out and start rubbing the body, throwing the truck around.

When bashing, once you have the tires warmed up, it'll do wheel stands from a launch up to about 35-40mph.  I had it out and jokingly lined up with a couple of dirt bikes that were going to drag race, and won, by accident.

This truck is solid, and has all the best parts.  The biggest weak point in the drivetrain where the bearing adapter is has been replaced with a lathed stainless steel adapter.  The horrible stock bearing in the motor mount has been replaced with a higher quality bearing, and the motor mount itself has been upgraded to a King Headz stainless steel motor mount.  The motor mount actually requires that the bearing be press-fitted into the hole, similar to but not as drastic as a nitro engine.

Because of the tight tolerances of the motor mount, the amount of play in the driveline is decreased, allowing for smoother acceleration, giving a more linear feel.

If there is ONE THING I would change on this truck, it would be the out-drives, but since nobody makes a decent set of CVD's for this truck, I'm a bit SOL on that.  To circumvent this I took the out-drives apart, sanded them down slightly for a smoother fit, and used dry lubricant to keep them from seizing up and not wanting to work.  This really smoothed out the suspension.

On the track it eats slashes and SC10's with the MMP all day.  I gave it to somebody who knew how to drive and he asked me if he could buy it to run in the race that upcoming weekend, it was that much faster.

On top of that, all of the wires have been custom sleeved to prevent damage to the wiring.  All high-quality six-thread weave expandable sleeving was used.  All of the sleeving is black and the chassis has been custom dyed black so that everything matches.  The antenna tube was even sleeved to make it blend in.

There is a custom Y adapter installed to allow the user to install fans without having to open the receiver box.  It sits between the ESC and the receiver box, and allows two sets of fans to be installed.  It is plugged into channel 5 on the receiver.

On a 3S battery, I can run it hard until the LVC kicks in, and if I temp the motor, it is never hotter than 135f.  The ESC never gets above 127f.

It's fast, it's unbreakable, it's well tuned, and it works both on the track and when bashing.  I just have a hard time believing it's not worth more than $250.  Especially since bone stock not 8 months ago I spent $300 on it.

That makes me sad
Old 03-06-2011, 06:23 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

With over $1,000 invested?
It's a toy, not an investment.

ThunderbirdJunkie has close to 600 in his XXX-SCT, probably about 300 into his B4.1, probably 2 grand spent over the past 5 years on the Savage...not one of them would fetch more than $300 in ready-to-rock form. The B4.1 MIGHT get 150 as a roller...the XXX-SCT MIGHT fetch 3 bills as it sits, with fresh, newly built Losi shocks, a Tekin RS, and a good 13.5.

Similarly, he probably has a grand total of about 20 grand in his Jeep that might fetch 5 grand IF the wind is blowing right and the planets align and the solar flares behave themselves.

Stuff that gets built and abused rarely has a good resale; check out www.bringatrailer.com and look at what some of the 1:1 race cars fetch when they're put up for sale. It's even WORSE than RC.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:26 PM
rc awesome

I bought this truck used about 8 months ago for $300, I've since dropped somewhere between $700 and $800 on hop-ups, upgrades, and to replace known weak spots, as well as make the steering more responsive (it has a really nice linear feel to it, as opposed to the slightly twitchy stock steering), and tuning the suspension so that it could be fast around a track and still be drive-able on the road when I want to bash around.
You can steer into a corner at ~45mph with this truck and it will stay flat, but the suspension stays soft enough to eat whoop-dee's out on the track without bouncing all over the track down the back straight. It's set up for lift-off over-steer, so as you come off the gas to go into a corner, it turns in harder, letting you accelerate out faster, more like a 1/8 buggy than short course. This makes it faster around the track, and also makes it much more competitive in a crowd because it gives you more line options for overtaking.
Out on the road and in random off-road, it jumps and lands like a beauty. It's well balanced and stays flat and has good air-control. It will bottom out on really high jumps (7-8ft or higher), but the suspension eats up most other jumps and lets it continue on it's way. I race with a 2S, but if I want to go out and bash, I toss in a 3s and make speed runs up to about 55-60mph. On a 3S you can hardly go full speed because the tires balloon out and start rubbing the body, throwing the truck around.
When bashing, once you have the tires warmed up, it'll do wheel stands from a launch up to about 35-40mph. I had it out and jokingly lined up with a couple of dirt bikes that were going to drag race, and won, by accident.
This truck is solid, and has all the best parts. The biggest weak point in the drivetrain where the bearing adapter is has been replaced with a lathed stainless steel adapter. The horrible stock bearing in the motor mount has been replaced with a higher quality bearing, and the motor mount itself has been upgraded to a King Headz stainless steel motor mount. The motor mount actually requires that the bearing be press-fitted into the hole,similarto but not as drastic as a nitro engine.
Because of the tight tolerances of the motor mount, the amount of play in the driveline is decreased, allowing for smoother acceleration, giving a more linear feel.
If there is ONE THING I would change on this truck, it would be the out-drives, but since nobody makes a decent set of CVD's for this truck, I'm a bit SOL on that. To circumvent this I took the out-drives apart, sanded them down slightly for a smoother fit, and used dry lubricant to keep them from seizing up and not wanting to work. This really smoothed out the suspension.
On the track it eats slashes and SC10's with the MMP all day. I gave it to somebody who knew how to drive and he asked me if he could buy it to run in the race that upcoming weekend, it was that much faster.
On top of that, all of the wires have been custom sleeved to prevent damage to the wiring. All high-quality six-thread weave expandable sleeving was used. All of the sleeving is black and the chassis has been custom dyed black so that everything matches. The antenna tube was even sleeved to make it blend in.
There is a custom Y adapter installed to allow the user to install fans without having to open the receiver box. It sits between the ESC and the receiver box, and allows two sets of fans to be installed. It is plugged into channel 5 on the receiver.
On a 3S battery, I can run it hard until the LVC kicks in, and if I temp the motor, it is never hotter than 135f. The ESC never gets above 127f.
It's fast, it's unbreakable, it's well tuned, and it works both on the track and when bashing. I just have a hard time believing it's not worth more than $250. Especially since bone stock not 8 months ago I spent $300 on it.
That makes me sad
How about this, it's worth probably 600$, but people aren't going to pay that much. You have a badass truck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.