Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

servo

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:06 PM
yoyo5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servo

Hey i just put my servo back in my car went to do some testing but when i tried to turn the servo will only go half as far as the normal so i turned it off and i went back to normal but when turned it on it went back to full left turn and even if i pushed the wheels they would not move, I am using the hpi sf-1 servo with sf-6 reciever and tf-1transmitter
Old 03-12-2011, 06:21 PM
yoyo5

Default RE: servo

anybody
[]
Old 03-12-2011, 06:46 PM
Cutless009
My Feedback: (1)

Are you saying you cannot move the wheels at all with the servo and car powered off completely?  If so, it sounds like it's locked up.  If you dont mind voiding warranties break it open and look for broken teeth etc on the gearing.  If you don't see anything, take a picture of the servo so you remember how to assemble it later, break it down, make sure the motor can spin freely (there will be a little tiny gear, the tiniest gear in the whole thing, spin it and make sure it can spin freely).  Once you are done, clean the parts off in some Denatured Alcohol (you can skip this step if you like) and lube them up with some grease (match the type of grease already on them if you skipped the cleaning step), then reassemble.  Before putting the top back on, plug it in while it's open and have a gander at what's going on with it.  Servo's are pretty straight forward.  It shouldn't be too hard to figure out what's going on.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:02 PM
yoyo5

it only locks up when it is on when it is off it will move freely. by the way it is a hpi e-firestorm 10t ht
Old 03-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Cutless009

If it is doing that plugged in, it's getting instructed to do that by something, servos don't really have a built in brain, they just have a dummy board that lets them run current through a small motor in two directions so they can turn back and forth.

Make sure the steering trim on your controller isn't nerfed, I do that from time to time LOL.  If not, honestly, I'd say it's probably the receiver, but I'm still fairly new to the game, so you might want to have somebody confirm that before you blow cash on a new one
Old 03-12-2011, 07:38 PM
yoyo5

i TRIED IT WITH A differant receiver but it still does not work as i have to turn the weel on the controlar all the way to the right to have it hit the stright forward position and win it is like this i can turn the wheels with my hand. i also tried it with my mm esc and 2 old brushed esc and they all had the same problem []
Old 03-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Cutless009

hmm.  All of these servos have a stop in them.  If there is no resistance against the motor, it will just spin (which will overheat it in about 15 seconds, literally to smoke and death).  You could try opening it up and seeing whats going on inside while you fiddle with it.  I'd imagine this would make it fairly obvious what's going on with it.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:44 PM
yoyo5

I think i might just buy a new 2.4ghz radio and hobbyking servo, cause for 35 shipped you cant beat it lol  but it wont be here in time to run on monday[]
Old 03-12-2011, 07:51 PM
Cutless009

LOL, you lazy *******, open that **** up and investigate, you have nothing to lose, and a new radio might not even solve your problems.  You might even get to race monday
Old 03-12-2011, 08:45 PM
TheyDontWantMusic

your servo horn spline is stripped out.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:38 AM
yoyo5

whats a servo horn spline?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:47 AM
Cutless009

See the bit of plastic sticking off the servo that your steering is connected to?  The servo spline is what that attaches to.  Remove the screw that attaches the servo horn (the bit of plastic) to the servo spline.  The servo spline should look like a gear.  This is what holds the servo horn so that it when the servo spline turns, so does the servo horn.  If your servo spline is stripped, it will be smooth or worn down.  If this is the case, you will need either a servo rebuild kit, or a new servo.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:01 AM
yoyo5

lol i just took the servo apart, but i riped it open and all the gears flew everyware and after putting it togather again i found another gear laying next to me so i thought that it would still work so i pluged it in and i could hear it spinning but it was'nt moving, and thats why i am Lazy lol. i think i will just pick up a cheap servo at the lhs so i can still race today, lol but then order a even cheaper one from hobbyking and use it as the main