Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New RC10B4.1 o-ring size

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 05:19 AM
nick4622

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New RC10B4.1 o-ring size

Well Ilove my new RC, my first hobby grade car ever. Ialready need a part. After bashing around saturday, Icleaned her up and was going to reset the ESC so Ihad reverse, Iput the car on the floor and tried to go a little forward. I got this nasty crunch and the right dog-bone just fell to the floor.

After inspecting I noticed a missing o-ring where the dog-bone goes and maybe this is why it fell off.

Can someone tell me the inside/outside diameter of part # 5407?
As i can pick up this part up from a local hardware store.

Thanks

Nick
Old 03-14-2011, 09:10 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New RC10B4.1 o-ring size

Nick,

Can you upload a photo of the area you are referencing? On a B4/T4, there aren't rubber o-rings on or around the drive-shafts unless the new B4.1's have something inside the transmission outdrives. Also, it's virtually impossible for the dogbone / CV drive-shaft to fall out of the outdrives unless 1 or more of the following happen:

- a ball joint pops off and the rear hub is free to camber outward, thus allowing enough clearance forthe drive-shaft to fall out.
- the rear lower a-arm breaks at the hinge pin or the rear mounting blocks break allowing the entire a-arm to move away from the transmission and again allowing clearance for the drive-shaft to come out. (This has happened to me personally)
- the CV joint itself looses the tiny grub screw and the pin on the inside falls out causing the whole CVD assembly to disintegrate and burst into many small pieces.

Part #5407 is the rubber seal for the shock absorbers located at the end of the shock body where the shaft moves through. It could creatively be used for other purposes, however, I can't think of any way it would be used on or around the drive-shafts.

My last thoughts are that the CVDs / drive-shafts aren't shimmed or the outside cone spacer that fits under the rear wheel is missing which would allow the axle to move in and out freely. This could allow enough clearance for the shaft to fall out of place as well.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:36 AM
nick4622

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure am puzzled about this one. Lets see if this helps

http://teamassociated.com/pdf/cars_a..._t4.1-b4.1.pdf

You can see part #5407 at the end of the dogbone. Idid check through and the links were intact.
It will be on page 8 on a PDF file

Thanks

Nick
Old 03-14-2011, 04:08 PM
BKoz559

I get it now. You must have the RTR version of the B4.1. The kits use MIP brand CVDs which are different from the full dogbone setup in your vehicle.

So, back to your original statement: Yes, that little o-ring will work and they put it in there as a spacer so the dogbone doesn't move around too much. As you experienced, if one pops out that leaves more "wiggle" room for the dogbone to slip furtherinto the axle or the transmission outdrive and allow it to fall out of place. OntheFactory Team kit and I believe the brushless RTR, the vehicle is equipped with CVDs which aren't succeptible to this problem because one end of the dogbone is a universal joint that connects directly to the axle.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZWK6&P=Z

These might be an upgrade worth looking into if you run into problems with the dogbones popping out of place. You can essentially use any o-ring that's close to the same size as the original red ones. If anything, a slightly larger outside diameter may work better so they squeeze tighter into the yokes.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:11 PM
BKoz559

I get it now. You must have the RTR version of the B4.1. The kits use MIP brand CVDs which are different from the full dogbone setup in your vehicle.

So, back to your original statement: Yes, that little o-ring will work and they put it in there as a spacer so the dogbone doesn't move around too much. As you experienced, if one pops out that leaves more "wiggle" room for the dogbone to slip furtherinto the axle or the transmission outdrive and allow it to fall out of place. OntheFactory Team kit and I believe the brushless RTR, the vehicle is equipped with CVDs which aren't succeptible to this problem because one end of the dogbone is a universal joint that connects directly to the axle.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZWK6&P=Z

These might be an upgrade worth looking into if you run into problems with the dogbones popping out of place. You can essentially use any o-ring that's close to the same size as the original red ones. If anything, a slightly larger outside diameter may work better so they squeeze tighter into the yokes.