Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New HobbyKing "B Grade" Lipos

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:39 AM
pede_187

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New HobbyKing "B Grade" Lipos

So I received an email from hobbyking that they are offering new "B Grade" LiPos which seem to be incredibly cheap. Now, maybe it's just me, but these seem to look exactly like the Hobbypartz blue lipos. The specs of them are also written in the same format which makes me think they are the same.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idCategory=431
Old 03-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: New HobbyKing

Man, I guess at least they are being honest, but the write up on them sure doesn't give you a warm and fuzzy feeling does it?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:52 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To me those look the same as the old blue Zippy packs. I don't have the measurements handy but I'd be surprised if it's not the same pack.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:14 PM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Man, I guess at least they are being honest, but the write up on them sure doesn't give you a warm and fuzzy feeling does it?
No it does not. I wouldn't buy those after reading that lol. I got the same e-mail today.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:52 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I'll try to get them and compare/test them soon. What's funny is that high IR = low C. How can a pack be 40C with high IR?
Old 03-14-2011, 01:54 PM
e123

That description is brutally honest lol. Their A grade stuff is cheap enough for me and they work...I would rather spend a couple extra dollars on those.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
rc awesome

LOL that desccription really gets to the point. Some of these batteries are as cheap as the turnigy batteries
Old 03-14-2011, 02:55 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"B-Grade Lithium Polymer packs are great for those not-so-important models or testing. They have a high internal resistance (thats bad), normally wont last past 60 full high-discharge cycles and may become puffy over time."

love how they state they say hextronic sells B-grades which is what hobbypartz is billed as on credit card statements

Basically I'm guessing some of those packs are higher capacity packs which didn't meet the minimum reqs, and were down marked.
But if you charge em slower, and use them in low current draws they will preform fine

Hell I use the 3S 15C 1800mah blue lipos in my radios seeing current draw is a minimum. A $13 pack that lasts 2X longer than a set of AA's per charge in my book is a good investment even if it gets only 60-100 charges.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:10 PM
rc awesome

Yeah it seems like a bargain deal though wonder what the preformance would be when compared to a decent nimh?
Old 03-14-2011, 05:03 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rc awesome

Yeah it seems like a bargain deal though wonder what the preformance would be when compared to a decent nimh?
IMO as long as you don't over do it they should out preform NiMh's. Lets face it they got a 5000mah 4C lipo for $15 where I'm guessing a comparable NiMh pack from other places is around $50-60 (ok I know a place that does that for $20 but they get HOT). So if you pair that up with a 1/10th scale 60A ESC it should blow away almost and NiMh for performance, and run times. It also shouldn't tax the packs too much so they should last awhile.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:07 PM
rc awesome

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: rc awesome

Yeah it seems like abargain deal though wonder what thepreformance would be when compared to a decent nimh?
IMO as long as you don't over do it they should out preform NiMh's. Lets face it they got a 5000mah 4C lipo for $15 where I'm guessing a comparable NiMh pack from other places is around $50-60 (ok I know a place that does that for $20 but they get HOT). So if you pair that up with a 1/10th scale 60A ESC it should blow away almost and NiMh for performance, and run times. It also shouldn't tax the packs too much so they should last awhile.
I don't know that it would blow it away. I don't know