Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Problems with ESC

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 12:29 PM
Teknic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with ESC

So my 3 week old Castle Sidewinder v2 is acting up...anyone know which Hobby Wing ESC would be a good match for the Castle CM36 4600kV motor?

After some laps at the track today it started cogging really bad and it only runs at about 3/4 power it seems now...I've tried switching everything and can't find anything wrong other than the ESC...it was running perfect last night though.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:00 PM
Link119

Default RE: Problems with ESC

you need to download the new software i think.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:09 PM
Teknic

I wish that's all it was I'm already on the latest Firmware.

It was a weird day... originally I thought it was my TX because I noticed the antenna had a nick in it that went 1/4 of the way through it...so I came home and put my old AM setup in it and it still didn't appear to fix it.

I think the TX was causing most of the stuttering issues, but even with the different TX/RX it seems it's not running full power. Last night if I were to say just punch it, it would flip right over on it's lid, now if I punch it, it barely lifts the front wheels off the ground.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Krazy Chicken

what are you using for batteries? and just call castle, they have good support. no need to spend money if you dont need to
ORIGINAL: Teknic

It was a weird day...originally I thought it was my TX because I noticed the antenna had a nick in it that went 1/4 of the way through it...so I came home and put my old AM setup in it and it still didn't appear to fix it.
I think the TX was causing most of the stuttering issues, but even with the different TX/RX it seems it's not running full power. Last night if I were to say just punch it, it would flip right over on it's lid, now if I punch it, it barely lifts the front wheels off the ground.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Teknic

I'm using 2S Lipo's, I tried multiple batteries and same results.

ORIGINAL: Krazy Chicken

what are you using for batteries? and just call castle, they have good support. no need to spend money if you dont need to

It was a weird day...originally I thought it was my TX because I noticed the antenna had a nick in it that went 1/4 of the way through it...so I came home and put my old AM setup in it and it still didn't appear to fix it.
Old 03-17-2011, 01:22 PM
sloppyG

so, like Chicken above said

CALL CASTLE
Old 03-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Link119

Castle should replace it for free...

Old 03-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Teknic

Well I just got home and threw a battery in it and it seems like it has it's top speed back, but it's definitely not as torquey as it used to be...
Old 03-17-2011, 05:10 PM
rc awesome

Well CALL CASTLE! They should help
Old 03-17-2011, 07:16 PM
sloppyG

I'd suggest talking to the people who can help you CASTLE

instead of talking to us idiots, part of the reason you buy CASTLE stuff is that if there's an issue you can call them since they're in the USA
Old 03-17-2011, 07:17 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

YO DAWG YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY CALL AIRTRONICS ON THIS ONE THEY'LL FIX YO SPEED CONTROL FO YO DAWG
Old 03-17-2011, 07:18 PM
sloppyG

Ok, but seriously

first cut the switch off and solder the wires together, then buy a castle BEC and install that on your system

also switch the red and white motor wires, then you should be back in action
Old 03-17-2011, 08:10 PM
res3567

Can you interpert what you just said as it does not compute in my gammer in which was taught as a kid and teen.....
ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

YO DAWG YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY CALL AIRTRONICS ON THIS ONE THEY'LL FIX YO SPEED CONTROL FO YO DAWG
Old 03-17-2011, 08:17 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: res3567

Can you interpert what you just said as it does not compute in my gammer in which was taught as a kid and teen.....

irony is awesome
Old 03-18-2011, 04:00 AM
Teknic

Fo shizzle this guy should call Castle!
Old 03-18-2011, 01:01 PM
burnineyes

Did you re-calibrate your endpoints after switching radios?
Old 03-19-2011, 04:48 AM
Teknic

ORIGINAL: burnineyes

Yeah I recalibrated, I've actually since tried putting the Castle combo in my Fiesta with similar results.

I hooked a battery up to it last night and noticed the speaker in the ESC is beeping again, but it's very quiet compared to how it used to be. It seems like it has it's "top end" back, but it's very low on torque now.

I emailed Castle support yesterday and am awaiting a response.

Back to my original question. If Castle doesn't replace my ESC what HobbyWing ESC would I need for my CM36 4600kV motor the 35A or 60A?

Old 03-19-2011, 09:35 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

There is no speaker in the ESC. This is not a speed control issue, the rotor in your motor has demagged.

The ESC vibrates the motor to make noise. If there is no motor hooked to the speedo, then there is no BEEDLEDEBOOP BEEP BEEP.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:18 AM
burnineyes

Yeah I recalibrated, I've actually since tried putting the Castle combo in my Fiesta with similar results.

I hooked a battery up to it last night and noticed the speaker in the ESC is beeping again, but it's very quiet compared to how it used to be. It seems like it has it's ''top end'' back, but it's very low on torque now.

Back to my original question. If Castle doesn't replace my ESC what HobbyWing ESC would I need for my CM36 4600kV motor the 35A or 60A?

+1 TBJ, no speaker, its the motor beeping. From the info I have I cant say with a ton of confidence that your motor is de-magged, but it would certainly make sense at this point. I would also recommend checking all of your connections very closely. The 60A EZRun would be perfect for the 4600kv motor, but you will want to ensure that is what you need, as it seems like it may be a motor or other issue. Email is fine, but to get the best possible service I would suggest to call Castle and speak to someone while you have the car, with a fully charged pack, in your hands ready to test.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Teknic

There is no speaker in the ESC. This is not a speed control issue, the rotor in your motor has demagged.

The ESC vibrates the motor to make noise. If there is no motor hooked to the speedo, then there is no BEEDLEDEBOOP BEEP BEEP.
Your correct about the motor making the tone, I had done some more research after posting this and found that out.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:48 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

You can get a rebuild kit from Castle for $20 or $25 with a new rotor and bearings (and something else, don't remember what)
Old 03-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Teknic

I hooked a battery up to it last night and noticed the speaker in the ESC is beeping again, but it's very quiet compared to how it used to be. It seems like it has it's ''top end'' back, but it's very low on torque now.

+1 TBJ, no speaker, its the motor beeping. From the info I have I cant say with a ton of confidence that your motor is de-magged, but it would certainly make sense at this point. I would also recommend checking all of your connections very closely. The 60A EZRun would be perfect for the 4600kv motor, but you will want to ensure that is what you need, as it seems like it may be a motor or other issue. Email is fine, but to get the best possible service I would suggest to call Castle and speak to someone while you have the car, with a fully charged pack, in your hands ready to test.
Thanks for the advice...unfortunately I work during their hours so I'll have to wait till Monday to call them.

So you think it may be the motor? I've tried unplugging and replugging in the wires connecting the motor to ESC and they still have a very firm connection.

I actually ran the truck today at the local track again and it seemed to run decent, but like I said it's like it has 10-20% reduced power and doesn't have the punch it used to. I also noticed today that it seems like it has a hard time going into reverse (it stutters/pauses really bad when I try to reverse).

Old 03-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Link119

The rotor of the motor is demagnetised. You need a new motor. Your motor is a speaker, so the noise will be quieter when the magnet gets weaker.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:08 AM
Teknic

Sweet...well maybe Castle will fix it...I always check temps, granted I don't have a gun, but it's never gotten any hotter than I could put my finger to it for at least 5-6 seconds.
I'm thinking I may order a Tacon motor just to have as a backup either way since they're pretty cheap. Any suggestions on a motor that would work well in my Rustler with my Sidewinder v2 ESC? It would be a bonus if it's something that would work in the Slash 4x4 I have coming as a backup also.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Brainanator

try reverting back to an older non-beta firmware. The newest firmware has been having some problems with some systems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.