Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Can't decide on basher purchase (E-Revo BE, Savage Flux...)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Can't decide on basher purchase (E-Revo BE, Savage Flux...)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:40 AM
TXRickC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't decide on basher purchase (E-Revo BE, Savage Flux...)

I recently had a Traxxas Stampede VXL 2wd and was fun but got tired of non-stop wheelies. I had 3s LiPo on it and truck could go fast but could never control it at the faster speeds since it's up on the wheelie bar, also it has
I higher center gravity so flipping in turns is a given, even at mid range speeds
I want a Basher 4wd that is quick and can handle well. Will be running on asphalt for higher speeds against neighbors r/c's, or around the area parks off road (grass, gravel)

Ive searched (really, 3 weeks now and can't decide and the money I have for this is a burning a hole in my pocket ) and have seen over and over how the Savage is tougher out of the box, I'm still leaning towards a E-Revo brushless though since my LHS has parts just in case I need something. If I do go with the Revo Im thinking sway bars, wheelie bar, rpm bumpers, rpm control arms for it.

Anything new coming out this year I could possibly hold off and wait for?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 AM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Can't decide on basher purchase (E-Revo BE, Savage Flux...)

get a baja 5b

Old 03-23-2011, 04:37 AM
rc person 577

ORIGINAL: TXRickC

I recently had a Traxxas Stampede VXL 2wd and was fun but got tired of non-stop wheelies. I had 3s LiPo on it and truck could go fast but could never control it at the faster speeds since it's up on the wheelie bar, also it has
I higher center gravity so flipping in turns is a given, even at mid range speeds
I want a Basher 4wd that is quick and can handle well. Will be running on asphalt for higher speeds against neighbors r/c's, or around the area parks off road (grass, gravel)

Ive searched (really, 3 weeks now and can't decide and the money I have for this is a burning a hole in my pocket ) and have seen over and over how the Savage is tougher out of the box, I'm still leaning towards a E-Revo brushless though since my LHS has parts just in case I need something. If I do go with the Revo Im thinking sway bars, wheelie bar, rpm bumpers, rpm control arms for it.

Anything new coming out this year I could possibly hold off and wait for?
I would get the e-revo if this is what you plan to do with it. The flux is more of a big air, wheelies, backflips, etc.

This is another big reason why I would chose the e-revo in your case.

I would get the RPM right away as well and either run the stockers until they break, or just change them.

I would also say go lipo. Sell the 7cell Ni-Mh packs and get lipos and a charger from www.hobbyking.com

I am a very happy owner of a Savage flux, but I can tell you it is not the best for high speed runs, or handling without some modifications. No matter which one you choose, you will have fun.

My $0.02
Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want a RC that has great handling the savage is NOT for you (coming from someone that loves savages) or any other MT. Savages are great at taking massive abuse, driving over things, flying through the air so far you would swear it was a plane, and wheelies.

There is the Ofna NExx8 which is based off the Nitro Jammin X1x CR its a 1/8th buggy which can drive over most things (I got the nitro jammin). The only difference I could see from its nitro counterpart is the chassis plate, electric motor mount, and battery box. seeing every other parts identical it should be a damn tough as hell vehicle (I've not broken the jammin yet). There are no aftermarket parts for it mainly IMO it don't need any the arms I find are probably almost as tough as anything RPM puts out

Or look into getting a truggy they offer high speeds, and excellent handling.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:46 AM
sloppyG

no reason to buy RPM stuff until you break the stock parts

you may find you don't need them

if you want handling, take a look at 1/8 brushless buggies, maybe the HPI vorza flux
Old 03-23-2011, 07:36 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the BL E-Revo. I own both and from what you say your looking for the BL E-Revo is right up your alley. VERY fas, handles well and takes a beating. Stock up on bulkheads as I have broken 3 sets, and swap to CVD's when you start breaking your halfshafts. I run stock A arms and have only broken two on the Revo and I beat mine hard. The BL E-Revo is so smooth too, I think you'll love it!

The Flux is a brutal beast. it;s torque is insane, backflips like crazy and I even have the XL extension and I flip at 45+ sometimes when I punch it all the way, so you may find yourself feeling like you did with the VXL stampede, although you really can;t compare a Flux to a Pede but anyway..

Both trucks are amazing but they are totally different. Flux for bashing and acting crazy (WOW factor is there), BL E-Revo for bashing, speed and handling. Plus it is SO easy to control in the air, very very smooth machine

Good luck

Heres a vid of my BL E-Revo Bashing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX0FgM9vi80
Old 03-23-2011, 09:13 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Bro, you beat that thing like it owes you money! How do you not end up dragging it homeas a bucket of parts at the end of the day? I guess really tha'ts half the fun; do to the R/C what you wouldn't do to your real car.

Good times, good times.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:46 PM
rc awesome

ORIGINAL: plasmaedge

get a baja 5b
5b sucks rear for bashing. It's heavy, slow, breaks easly, 2WD, big, and sucks at jumping. The savage flux is pretty much my dream truck, cause it's simpally awesome. So, I would get a savage

Old 03-23-2011, 03:02 PM
GotNoRice

Why not a Stampede 4x4?

I know you said you already have a 2wd Stampede but really the two trucks have little in common.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:46 PM
BigGrump

Why not a Stampede 4x4?

I know you said you already have a 2wd Stampede but really the two trucks have little in common.
I agree to consider the Stampede's again. Just the increased costs of everything on the Savage or E revo compared to the Stampede is quite a consideration. The weight of the Stampede is so much less, also.

I do know, as far as your 2WD Stampede goes, you can make it handle great on asphalt and make it almost impossible to turn over from traction rolling at any speed on normal asphalt. The proline A-arms kit is a good place to start. Wide front wheels put on the back is another good move. Some fuel tubing inside the rear shocks that eliminate most of the "droop" is in order. Softer springs in the front and all spacers removed to lower the suspension so the a-arms are level.

Another great way to control a top heavy truck at high speed is using a radio that has exponential control and you reduce sensitivity of steering at the center point area. I guarantee you, your Stampede can skid out at the end of a high speed run by turning the steering and hitting the brakes at the same time, so that you can make it spin 360 degrees or more without any hint of turning over. All with stock tires.

I cannot say the Stampede is in the same class as the E revo or Savage Flux, but you already have the Stampede that can be improved a lot in the area you talk about. I have an idea the 4x4 Stampede would also be a good contender, with the motor inboard of the rear axle and lower center of gravity.

My experience is with the Savage and Revo's both in Nitro, and my personality is more like the Savage, but my two Revo's are so refined, they simply out class the Savage most of the time.

Oh, and by the way, I also have a HPI Baja, and there is nothing it can do that my Savage can't do twice as good, or twice as much. Only thing the Baja can do better is hit something harder and do more damage. What a disappointment the Baja is. Ever notice most people who are not Pro's make videos of their Baja's spinning in endless circles on loose dirt or grass?

Dennis
Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 PM
savycharlie

I own both (Hpi savage flux hp, and the stampede 4x4) and they're both great trucks! My stampede has more running time (even though its newer then my flux, because my flux has had some problems from the factory) i think i just got a bad apple. Anyways both are great trucks. The stampede is quite a bit cheaper and it includes a charger and battery (not the best obviously, but at least it comes with it). The flux you still need to buy batteries which for decent ones you will be spending over $100 total. You wont go wrong with either though.

Hope this helps
Old 03-24-2011, 04:21 AM
JUCD VPR

From someone who has owned both the 2WD and the 4x4 Pede. I would personaly pick a FLux HP or a BL E-Revo ANYDAY.

It is night and day difference. What does the new VXL Pede cost close to $400 right? SO say you buy that, add wider tires, softer springs, etc because the Pede will roll unless you do modifications to it or else you will be in the same boat you were in before.

For that price i'd pay just a little more for a FLux or BL Revo. Having owned them it's a no brainer for me, the Pede is a good truck, I am NOT knocking it in anyway. But it simply is outclassed by the Flux and the Revo Period!.

You already have a Pede also so why just buy another one, try something different, something with a different chassis, better handling and more power. To ME the FLux HP and BL E-Revo were worth every penny spent. Just my .02 cents about that.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:23 AM
JUCD VPR

ORIGINAL: savycharlie

I own both (Hpi savage flux hp, and the stampede 4x4) and they're both great trucks! My stampede has more running time (even though its newer then my flux, because my flux has had some problems from the factory) i think i just got a bad apple. Anyways both are great trucks. The stampede is quite a bit cheaper and it includes a charger and battery (not the best obviously, but at least it comes with it). The flux you still need to buy batteries which for decent ones you will be spending over $100 total. You wont go wrong with either though.

Hope this helps
What problem are you having with your Flux? I'd have sent that baby right back to the facotry it came from and asked for a new one.

Where are you in Illinois? I'm down near St.Louis, if your close we should bash the Flux's sometime..