Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Losi XXX-SCT w/VXL Gearing?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Teknic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losi XXX-SCT w/VXL Gearing?

Just picked up a Losi XXX-SCT today and put my VXL setup out of my Slash 4x4 in it.

Looking for some advice on gearing with this setup. Also, I can't seem to find out what the stock gearing is in these 16/86 I beleive, but if someone could confirm that would be great.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Teknic

Default RE: Losi XXX-SCT w/VXL Gearing?

No one?

Also, here are some pics since people love pics!

Old 04-04-2011, 07:40 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

16/88 is the stock gearing. ThunderbirdJunkie would recommend 24/84 as a starting point for the 3500kv traxxas motor.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Teknic

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

16/88 is the stock gearing. ThunderbirdJunkie would recommend 24/84 as a starting point for the 3500kv traxxas motor.
Thanks TBJ, I'll try that.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Teknic

Picked up the 24t pinion and 84t spur today and went up to the outdoor track and it ran pretty good and the motor never even really got warm. Granted it's only like 40 out right now, but either way.

Truck handles awesome right out of the box, I'm pretty impressed with it so far.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:58 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

The next logical step would be 26/82 if it doesn't even get warm
Old 04-05-2011, 06:58 PM
yotaman1991

I've been running the vxl and castle's sct speedo in my Losi sct for a few weeks now. Lot's of burn outs with the stock gearing, and now courious about tbj's gearing starting point! What were your thoughts with the stock gearing and that vxl? Hey Teknic get a speedo you can program, you will not regret it.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Captain Rusty

Would this be a good gear ratio for all 1/10 2wd cars running the velineon motor?

Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

It'd be close, but the XXX-SCT's trans is 2.43:1, SC10, Blitz are 2.60:1, Rusty/Pede/Slash/Bandit are 2.72:1, and the Kyosho RB5/RT5/Ultima SC are something like 2.46:1? Basically with the Traxxas 2ws, go up 2 teeth from that on the pinion, for the SC10/Blitz/Firestorm/T4 go up 1 tooth on the pinion
Old 04-06-2011, 06:16 AM
Teknic

ORIGINAL: yotaman1991

I've been running the vxl and castle's sct speedo in my Losi sct for a few weeks now. Lot's of burn outs with the stock gearing, and now courious about tbj's gearing starting point! What were your thoughts with the stock gearing and that vxl? Hey Teknic get a speedo you can program, you will not regret it.
It's pretty good, I won't know for sure till I go to the indoor track as it has more bite. Yesterday I was at an outdoor track that was hard packed dirt and kind of dusty. In general if I punched it would spin the tires pretty good, but if I was even on the acceleration I could reach full throttle on the straight without losing control of it and it was pretty fast. It's defintely more controllable/reasonable than the stock gearing was.

When I was leaving it I took it over in the grass next to the track to do some wide open runs on it through the grass to check motor temps and with much more traction it would pull wheelies at like 3/4 throttle if I just punched it the rest of the way.

I have a Castle Sv2/4600 combo just sitting in the box from my Rustler so I'm familiar with CastleLink. Unfortunately I've messed something up with that combo as I was running it geared to high according to Castle so I'm waiting to get my hands on another motor/esc so I can test them to see which piece I need to send back in for repair. I tried using the VXL stuff, but the bullets are all 3.5mm and the Castle stuff is 4mm and I'm not that great of a solderer yet

I was about this close - to buying a Mamba Max Pro yesterday just because they had one in the case at the LHS and I had the money in my pocket, but I made it out of there with out spending anymore money for the time being haha.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:19 AM
Teknic

The next logical step would be 26/82 if it doesn't even get warm
I'm still kind of green when it comes to understanding gearing...I know typically when you raise the pinion you get more top speed at the cost of a little acceleration (hopefully that's right), but what does raising the pinion and lowering the spur do?

Old 04-06-2011, 11:48 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

It does the same thing as just raising the pinion's tooth count. Trust ThunderbirdJunkie, you will lose no bottom end