Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

which is better TC3 or Hpi Pro 2

Old 08-12-2003, 03:43 AM
Brandt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which is better TC3 or Hpi Pro 2

I own both of these cars. The Tc3 I bought for my girlfriend and it is bone stock and it kicks my Pro 2's butt. My pro 2 has a Kyosho 16T Endoplasm motor, Explorer II ESC, I'm running a 121 tooth spur (SOMEWHERE AROUND THERE) and a 30 tooth pinion. My Buddy has a TC3 with a 27 turn P2K motor and he is running a 68 tooth spur and a 30 tooth pinion and he also runs off and leaves my pro 2. Should I sell the Pro 2 or is my set up all wrong? Is the Tc3 a better car? Should I keep the Pro 2 and get the 2 speed for it?
Old 08-12-2003, 04:02 AM
RCFreakInFL
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

The technology put into the TC3, is a newer concept, than that of the Pro2. HPI is already out with the RO4 (Pro4) now....which improved greatly upon the Pro3, and which the Pro3, did the same with the Pro2.

Parts are going to be growing scarce with the Pro2 shortly (if not already), because the factory makes only so many extra, and molds get destroyed, and then you reply on aftermarket companies to keep the parts in stock, which all goes with supply and demand....see where I'm headed here

At any rate, this from experience, owning a Factory Team TC3 and a Pro3 at the moment, I would have to say I like my TC3 because it is shaft driven, and I just love that....very maintenance free, and shafts rarely, if ever....break!

Now, I did not see anywhere mentioned, what series TC3 you have, whether it be Racer, Team, or Factory Team? This makes a difference in the abilities of the car, and the setup. Either way though, I would concentrate my funds probably on the better car, IMO, the TC3, whichever series it may be. Latest technology put into a touring car by AE, many many parts and hopups available, and is very competitive on the track!

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2003, 04:11 AM
Brandt

my TC3 and my buddies are both RTR
Old 08-13-2003, 03:49 AM
Brandt

ttt
Old 08-13-2003, 02:23 PM
Dirt Please

Originally posted by RCFreakInFL
Parts are going to be growing scarce with the Pro2 shortly (if not already), because the factory makes only so many extra, and molds get destroyed, and then you reply on aftermarket companies to keep the parts in stock, which all goes with supply and demand....see where I'm headed here
Boy! You ain't lying there! All my cars are in the 10 year old area and it sucks! I can't find crap for these cars! Except my RC10...there are still some things out there!
Old 08-13-2003, 06:51 PM
FlyEggbeaters

I've owned both and personally, I prefer the TC3 for ease of maintenance. In terms of handling both cars respond equally well to changes in settings. I was able to tune both very easily to my style of driving which is slightly loose. My only complaint with the HPI is that the belt needed constant adjustment and was slowly getting looser over time. Keep in mind that I race frequently so I am abusing these cars everyday. We have a track setup at the office for after hours carpet racing and my coworkers and I race everyday. The only negative with the TC3 for me was the driveline lash. There is a bit of play on the shaft and this play causes a sudden application of power that can break the wheels loose at times exiting corners. The HPI was much easier to pour on the power smoothly. Personally I didn't mind this and for me the TC3 wins due to ease of maintenance of the shaft drive. Ultimately though, my lap times were more consistent with the HPI but the TC3 was still my main car. I don't consider any of these traits to be problems just characteristics of each car's design and engineering perspective.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:49 AM
someguy

Originally posted by RCFreakInFL
The technology put into the TC3, is a newer concept, than that of the Pro2. HPI is already out with the RO4 (Pro4) now....which improved greatly upon the Pro3, and which the Pro3, did the same with the Pro2.

Good luck!
I don't think the pro 3 was an improvement on the pro 2, i think it's insanely worse. It's just a terrible design in my opinion. Center mounted batterys dont help handling and it makes the drive train really screwed up to have the bayys there. Also look at the insane suspension arms, I know they dont alter geometry being bent but it does make them less stiff. I dont like any feature of the pro 3. But back to the original question from the thread starter, the pro 2 is a fine car. It's lighter than the tc3 which is a plus. I have a pro 2 and an xray evo 2 and the evo2 handles slightly better. Both are very well tuned though. It is a bit of a pain to adjust anything on the pro 2 however, and I agree with rcfreakinfl that soon parts will probably fet hard to find, although they havent yet for me. If you dont want to mess with trying to tune the pro 2 better, ditch it.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:15 PM
Snizzoop

I just recently purchased a Pro2...used of course...and I am going to address the issure of parts being discontinued. I'm new to the R/C scene, so if I am wrong in what I am about to say, someone please correct me.

The HPI Sport 2 uses the Pro 2 suspension. From what I understand, the Sport 2 is a NEW car. Since it is a new car, they will probably be making the suspension parts for a while yet. Other then that, I honestly don't see anything else that could break easily and that isn't/won't be available for a few years yet. Maybe this is just wishful thinking seeng as how I just bought the car...but like I said before, please correct me if I am wrong.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:49 PM
usagi

Originally posted by someguy
I don't think the pro 3 was an improvement on the pro 2, i think it's insanely worse. It's just a terrible design in my opinion. Center mounted batterys dont help handling and it makes the drive train really screwed up to have the bayys there. Also look at the insane suspension arms, I know they dont alter geometry being bent but it does make them less stiff. I dont like any feature of the pro 3. But back to the original question from the thread starter, the pro 2 is a fine car. It's lighter than the tc3 which is a plus. I have a pro 2 and an xray evo 2 and the evo2 handles slightly better. Both are very well tuned though. It is a bit of a pain to adjust anything on the pro 2 however, and I agree with rcfreakinfl that soon parts will probably fet hard to find, although they havent yet for me. If you dont want to mess with trying to tune the pro 2 better, ditch it.

You know at lot of people said the same comments about the pro3.
I own a pro2 and really happy with it. But the pro3 oh wow its was ungodly bad. I know there are alot "how said" they liked their pro3. But the chance are they didn`t drive the car, more likely it was just for looks then a race car.
The pro4 well i put some thought into buying it when its released. But it all depends on quality of parts and the final design concept.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:53 PM
SpoonAvenger

i dont get why there is so much hype about the pro4, i dont see anything better about it than any other tc3 clone thats out there.
Old 08-16-2003, 10:22 AM
usagi

spoon, there is not more hype about the pro4. in fact its far less then any of their pro series cars. Its based on people really don`t care about the pro4.

Look at this cars on the market now........

Yokomo SD

Alex Baracuda

TC3

TB01 Red Version

and Now the HPI pro4

Which

Ok what do they all have in common.............Shaft and they all have the same basic layout. Ok there are some basic differences but why buy another of the same type when you already have it.

The TC3 started the whole thing but (Ten Tech) is the first company to produce the shaft based version of ALL those touring cars touring car written above yokomo, baracuda, tb01 red version( all all other tb01s) and now the hpi pro4)
Old 08-17-2003, 02:25 AM
SpoonAvenger

yes i realize that tenth technology did the shaft drive first, i was actually considering buying that car, until i couldnt find it anywhere. And what i meant by hype is that, i hear peolpe say "you should wait for the pro4 thats gonna be one of the best" or comments like that, and i dont personally think a car that is modled so closely after it can be very much better. And yes, tamiya had shaft drive cars forever, but AE deffinately did it better. Cuz tamiya didnt have the tbo1 or whatever that rally car was, until after the TC3 came out, same with the evolutions of the tb that were for onroad. And then that MRC car, same thing, its basically a clone, so it could be almost as good, but doubtful that its better. Like, if the TC3 couldnt be had with all the good materials, and the MRC car could, then yeah, it could be better, but thats not the case.

And I know people make cars look alike, for instance the RS4 pretty much defined the touring car, and everyone went to 2 belt systems that looked alike, but in my mind thats not really better. For instance, when AE built their tourer, they decided to screw tradition and do what they thought would be best, just like losi designed there 1 belt system, where each company could have easily made a 2belt system that was like others, proven already, and just modifyed the suspension symetry some, and maybe made pretty bulkheads for it and called it their tourer. But they didnt. Thus, I have more respect for them than I do for brands that are sheep, just flocking together doing what everyone else does. they are actually defining and evolving the hobby, not just making the car adjustible in differnet ways or look different, but have basically the same drivetrain so be practically the same car anyway.
Old 08-18-2003, 03:55 AM
Brandt

Thanks for the replies but I sold my Pro 2 and bought another TC3. I like the feel of the TC3 alot more. It is a RTR and it's not as fast as my PRO 2 was but once I get done it will be faster.
Old 08-18-2003, 01:15 PM
Me+RC=$$$

I've had an RS4 Sport, Pro, Sport 2, and Pro 2 and 2 TC3's. I am sticking with the TC3. Everytime I turned around I was breaking belts and it just got old. I am in love with my TC3. Which TC3 did you get? I have a Factory Team and it doesn't handle too much different then my Racer, but it has a lot of pretty blue .
Old 08-18-2003, 09:21 PM
Brandt

I bought a ready to run but I've got an explorerII ESC and I'm going to put a 16T in it. I bought the car used. 2 of my buddys have TC3's and I bought my girlfriend a TC3 a few weeks ago and after driving it I decided to sell my Pro 2 and buy my self a TC3