Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

deans connectors on a 1/5th scale?!? lmao.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:15 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: deans connectors on a 1/5th scale?!? lmao.

ORIGINAL: TheyDontWantMusic

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Only theories I can even remotely come up with would be the connector melting, and the wire shorting, and opening rapidly. BUT with that much current they would friggin weld together.
Or the wire disconnecting, and opening and closing the circuit rapidly could spike it. BUT if CC put proper capacitors on their product that would not be an issue seeing they are there to absorb spikes...

This issue from a few different posts I've seen sprawled on a few sites is not unique to that ESC I've also seen the same issues on the 1/8ths.
I assume you were unable to comprehend the part about ripple current and voltage spikes.

oh well.

better luck next time.

Sad thing is reading your post made me really do that.

Pointless arguing with you seeing you know more than everyone else in the subject.
I hope you don't believe everything a manufacturer tells you to get out of them having to warranty an object.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody that spouts off "ripple current" as a killer of speed controls clearly spends too much time on RCM.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:27 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Anybody that spouts off ''ripple current'' as a killer of speed controls clearly spends too much time on RCM.
yes seen a post where the electronic engineers get chased off by the "experts"...

Side note ripple currents are caused by inductive load aka motor having voltage applied & cut off, not the battery connector
For out local "expert"
Old 04-26-2011, 07:30 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkie wonders if TDWM understands that FET switching speed and capacitor capacity has more to do with all of this than *ahem* ripple current.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:43 PM
hakmazter

It looked to me as a quick glance that the dean's connector looked fine but I couldn't seem to see the other side one. I also noticed that you could see some gold where the motor connections were attempted to be covered with electrical tape. That is where I would want to look first if it was in my hands.

I have seen several times where the weakest link will desolder itself or burn. I didn't see that here in regards to the dean's, but I need more pics to give an accurate assessment in my opinion.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:13 PM
jrowles91

This was EXTREMELY entertaining to read through. Thanks to all who participated. BTW I'm with TBJ and Syco. Not trying to burst any bubbles. Thanks again! lol
Old 04-27-2011, 03:18 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have shorted my ezrun 60amp esc motor wires once and it lived through it, and the battery didn't puff ect nor did the esc get warm, only the wire got warmer. HW uses quality stuff.

I also shorted my ezrun 35amp by the tamiya plugs once and the battery got hot. ESC works fine.

my 2.14c AUD

Old 04-27-2011, 04:04 AM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha That guys dumb.

Even tamiyas teu104bk esc can handle voltage spikes.

When soldering on my deans the two connectors touched, and my battery happened to be plugged in (dont ask why).

It half melted the friggen solder joint where they touched and left a crater..  But esc... still worked.

Not now though    i drive through puddle which was actually deep hole and esc smoked.   Boooooo.

Time for waterproof boat esc to go in[X(]
Old 04-27-2011, 06:51 AM
Scottgir

I still have half a bowl of popcorn left....

Is the show really over?

PS I'm with TBJ and Syco completely. If the current draw is too high for the Deans to handle, the Deans would melt worst case causing current to go back to the battery best case becoming a permanent "off switch".
Old 04-27-2011, 07:11 AM
sloppyG

yeah, but I just finished listening to come Jay Electronica music, so I'm practilcally the electronic design engineer
Old 04-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

Tekin seems to agree with Castle on the ripple currents and butt plugs and what nots

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...5&postcount=18
Old 04-27-2011, 10:37 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

If ripple current is caused by crap batteries, and ripple current destroys ESCs, why don't we hear of more Brushles E-Revos and E-Maxxes frying the ESC in stock form?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:59 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

If ripple current is caused by crap batteries, and ripple current destroys ESCs, why don't we hear of more Brushles E-Revos and E-Maxxes frying the ESC in stock form?
they have better engineered ESC's?

kinda how it sounds from the tekin post
Old 04-27-2011, 01:48 PM
FoamyVictim

Wow, then my 8th scales should have fried YEARS ago... Zippy FTW!
Old 04-27-2011, 04:17 PM
TheyDontWantMusic

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

Tekin seems to agree with Castle on the ripple currents and butt plugs and what nots

of course!

thats because not only is it the intelligent, and logical thing to believe, its also correct!

Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Scottgir

I still have half a bowl of popcorn left....

Is the show really over?

PS I'm with TBJ and Syco completely. If the current draw is too high for the Deans to handle, the Deans would melt worst case causing current to go back to the battery best case becoming a permanent ''off switch''.

Yes, any high resistance spot will heat up, and melt, just like a fuse does. Actually the deans would be the fuse. But that is not the case here is it? This is a CCODC (clear case of defective controller) but the culprit *(manuf.) will never admit it and replace it.

Gerry

Old 04-27-2011, 04:41 PM
TheyDontWantMusic

here's an idea.

if you want CC to cover your escs under warranty, don't run crappy 50amp deans connectors in the first place!
Old 04-27-2011, 04:57 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

of course!

thats because not only is it the intelligent, and logical thing to believe, its also correct!

if you read the full thread you learn he don't know very much

Its actually off for ppl on that forum to attack workers from the ESC companies they usually believe them no matter how stupid the argument they throw out sounds.
I love how the one who worte on ripple currents starts saying higher capacity packs have higher resistance because they are 2 packs in one
He also says lower capacity packs provide more power. That statement alone shows he don't know what he's talking about.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:10 PM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OORRRRR because the manufacturers dont want to keep replacing high end broken escs so they will try to skimp out of it in anyway they can. Im not saying that castle is a sneaky bunch of people but if they can get out of paying you back a load of money for a 1/5 scale brushless system then they will, no questions asked, people get greedy when it comes to money, and with greed comes slyness.

of course!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:28 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

here's an idea.

if you want CC to cover your escs under warranty, don't run crappy 50amp deans connectors in the first place!
The really funny thing is, Deans are rated to 100a.

When they were created (YEARS BEFORE YOU WERE BORN) there was no reason to test past 100a because NO electric power system could or would pull that much.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:11 AM
cowana

Just for the record, I'm an electrical engineering student (studying ripple current, transient spikes, power transfer and wiring losses at university).

I completly agree with TBJ and Syco - higher resistance connectors in the battery line will cause the ESC to get less voltage (due to the drop over the resistance). This will stress the ESC less. While it is true that higher resistance will slow the charging of the anti ripple capacitors, THIS WILL NOT DAMAGE THE ESC IN ANY WAY.

Under rated connectors CANNOT damage an ESC in any way - unless they are on the motor side and short out.

Andrew
Old 04-28-2011, 05:25 AM
TheyDontWantMusic

ORIGINAL: cowana

Just for the record, I'm an electrical engineering student (studying ripple current, transient spikes, power transfer and wiring losses at university).

I completly agree with TBJ and Syco - higher resistance connectors in the battery line will cause the ESC to get less voltage (due to the drop over the resistance). This will stress the ESC less. While it is true that higher resistance will slow the charging of the anti ripple capacitors, THIS WILL NOT DAMAGE THE ESC IN ANY WAY.

Under rated connectors CANNOT damage an ESC in any way - unless they are on the motor side and short out.

Andrew
you really should pay more attention at university then. lol

I've had escs split the heatshrink on the capacitors that are across the battery from heat due to excessive ripple current.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:43 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: cowana

Andrew
lol don't bother he's a pro cause he has dabbled in it for so many years

I got a degree in electrical engineering 7 or so years ago royal PITA to finish. Still have nightmares of integrals, and derivatives attacking me when I sleep [:@]
Remember the hobbyist, and PR people who post on message boards always knows more than people who took classes in the stuff

you really should pay more attention at university then. lol

I've had escs split the heatshrink on the capacitors that are across the battery from heat due to excessive ripple current.
That was from them being under rated or cheap ass caps. That was not from ripple current...
Old 04-28-2011, 06:42 AM
sloppyG

do ripple currents go counter clockwise in the southern hemisphere?
Old 04-28-2011, 08:50 AM
FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

do ripple currents go counter clockwise in the southern hemisphere?
Yup, just like the toilets in Australia... I laugh at the ripple current excuse, because I used 20C zippy packs in my 8th scales for YEARS without issue. That's with both Castle AND Tekin systems. I think noobs and experienced racers alike can have brain farts and/or push a system too hard. When the system fails, they simply CANNOT blame themselves. It must be a failure on the part of the equipment, the manufacturer or both.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.