Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

deans connectors on a 1/5th scale?!? lmao.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:18 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: deans connectors on a 1/5th scale?!? lmao.

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

do ripple currents go counter clockwise in the southern hemisphere?
Yup, just like the toilets in Australia... I laugh at the ripple current excuse, because I used 20C zippy packs in my 8th scales for YEARS without issue. That's with both Castle AND Tekin systems. I think noobs and experienced racers alike can have brain farts and/or push a system too hard. When the system fails, they simply CANNOT blame themselves. It must be a failure on the part of the equipment, the manufacturer or both.
equipment failure gets pushed to batteries(or in this case connectors) by the manufacturer. Whats easier to say your equipment failed or some other stuff failed? Most what is said is done by PR/marketing people or tech support drones who are in no way even remotely knowledgeable in the field (hell Dilbert makes great points to this)
People can't come to grips with stuff fails, sometimes for no real reason, sometimes for a very good reason.

BTW toilets in australia don't go clockwise or counter clockwise. Standard toilets in the land down under shoot straight down (saw a vid on youtube while looking for the simpsons clip)
Old 04-28-2011, 09:54 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: TheyDontWantMusic

you really should pay more attention at university then. lol

I've had escs split the heatshrink on the capacitors that are across the battery from heat due to excessive ripple current.
It's so cute that you keep saying "ripple current" like you know what it means.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:55 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ripple, thunderbird and mad dog are all fine hobo wines.

i felt the need to contribute here.

all yer deans are belong to us.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:18 AM
J.D.T

I suspect the sand in all them pictures is the problem, in sand you either have poor traction which means excess rpm all the time or with sand tires you get to much traction and increase the load which leads to a higher draw which lets out the magic smoke.

more than 5 years ago when thunderpower developed their first 40c battery they did 200 amp draws to test, they quickly determined a Deans connector in its normal configuration cannot live up to a 200 amp 10 second draw, they did however determine if you run one deans ultra plug PER 8 gauge wire 200 amps is no problem.

So in other words everyone is right and wrong, you can run a deans on a high power setup without any issues if you do it right, you however can't do it with both polarities running through the same plug, anyone that has ever tried solder 8 gauge to a deans connector would problably rather put the wire to both posts anyway LOL

I'm sure one of the experts can figure out a reason on why one post is negative and the other is positve so there is no way to wire one wire to two posts
Old 04-28-2011, 11:59 AM
mechanizeddeath

Mmm... Ripple. Was always partial to Thunderbird myself. Haven't seen either of them in years though.

I'm still using Tamiya connectors, so I have nothing more to add. [&:]
Old 04-28-2011, 12:04 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: J.D.T

I suspect the sand in all them pictures is the problem, in sand you either have poor traction which means excess rpm all the time or with sand tires you get to much traction and increase the load which leads to a higher draw which lets out the magic smoke.

more than 5 years ago when thunderpower developed their first 40c battery they did 200 amp draws to test, they quickly determined a Deans connector in its normal configuration cannot live up to a 200 amp 10 second draw, they did however determine if you run one deans ultra plug PER 8 gauge wire 200 amps is no problem.

So in other words everyone is right and wrong, you can run a deans on a high power setup without any issues if you do it right, you however can't do it with both polarities running through the same plug, anyone that has ever tried solder 8 gauge to a deans connector would problably rather put the wire to both posts anyway LOL

I'm sure one of the experts can figure out a reason on why one post is negative and the other is positve so there is no way to wire one wire to two posts
you have a good point on the sand I didn't notice it actually
Wonder hard is it for sand to get in and jam the fans on the esc too, and cause the ESC to fry. I would imagine pretty easy.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Scottgir

I think one thing that is being missed is NOONE has said that it is okay or wise to run Deans on a 1/5th scale system. We're just saying running Deans wouldn't be the culprit in frying the esc.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:57 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Since everyone on here knows what they are talking about I thought i would add some thigns for clarification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_(electrical) For those that....ahem.......just dont know......

And TBJ, I usually gree with you but Deans arent rated for 100. 60 is more like it and peaks of up to 75.

The ESC fried. Something went wrong there. Wasnt the connectors, the connectors would have been toast if that was the case. Some people, not naming names TDWM, but some people need to do proper research and learn how electricity works before spouting off with what sounds right ATM. Now lets knock it off children, and start arguing about who has to wipe up after the pissing match....

Old 04-28-2011, 03:13 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

pretty sure a jammed fan would just cause the ESC to thermal shut down before it fries itself. Maybe the sand got into the thermal shut down switch and jammed it, or some sand got in the muffler bearings on the ESC, that'd probably cause some overheating.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: cowana

Just for the record, I'm an electrical engineering student (studying ripple current, transient spikes, power transfer and wiring losses at university).

I completly agree with TBJ and Syco - higher resistance connectors in the battery line will cause the ESC to get less voltage (due to the drop over the resistance). This will stress the ESC less. While it is true that higher resistance will slow the charging of the anti ripple capacitors, THIS WILL NOT DAMAGE THE ESC IN ANY WAY.

Under rated connectors CANNOT damage an ESC in any way - unless they are on the motor side and short out.

Andrew
Actually I could come up with scenarios where a short on the battery end could cause an ESC failure, but it would be rare / improbable.
For instance the ESC has a capacitor on the front end of the circuit, if that capacitor were to go from fully powered to a dead short instantaneously it is going to heat up a little more and if it's already pretty hot, could pop.

Underrated connectors or a battery that's too weak can damage a modern ESC, remember early versions of the MMM (v1 and v2 'beta')? When the brakes were applied hard, some current heads back into the battery, battery voltage spikes above the max allowable for the ESC, ESC died. I think v3 fixed this problem entirely, but my memory is sketchy. Never say never, things like that can still happen if you really don't know what you were doing.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:24 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Access

Just for the record, I'm an electrical engineering student (studying ripple current, transient spikes, power transfer and wiring losses at university).

I completly agree with TBJ and Syco - higher resistance connectors in the battery line will cause the ESC to get less voltage (due to the drop over the resistance). This will stress the ESC less. While it is true that higher resistance will slow the charging of the anti ripple capacitors, THIS WILL NOT DAMAGE THE ESC IN ANY WAY.

Under rated connectors CANNOT damage an ESC in any way - unless they are on the motor side and short out.

Andrew
Actually I could come up with scenarios where a short on the battery end could cause an ESC failure, but it would be rare / improbable.
For instance the ESC has a capacitor on the front end of the circuit, if that capacitor were to go from fully powered to a dead short instantaneously it is going to heat up a little more and if it's already pretty hot, could pop.

Underrated connectors or a battery that's too weak can damage a modern ESC, remember early versions of the MMM (v1 and v2 'beta')? When the brakes were applied hard, some current heads back into the battery, battery voltage spikes above the max allowable for the ESC, ESC died. I think v3 fixed this problem entirely, but my memory is sketchy. Never say never, things like that can still happen if you really don't know what you were doing.
In that case yes it would, but that would also be a poorly designed ESC (like I said a while back) not the connectors, or battery fault. Lets blame what should be blamed
I remember reading about those a while back, which is when I think most of those ripple current posts were made.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:08 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

Uhmmm did anyone catch the comment about being so smart but used deans knowing their limits????
Uhmmm did anyone catch the comment " I work in electronics assembly, I've been "playing" with electronics since I was 5 " and yet the pictures show a nube hack wire job!
Uhmmm has anyone seen the amps this system really draws???
from Castle on their test run they show 63-64 peak amps, and about 35 amps average!
not sure if anyone caught that? [:-]
but I know the op did not
Old 04-28-2011, 07:12 PM
srt10

Deans, I don't think so......
Old 04-28-2011, 07:14 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: srt10

Uhmmm did anyone catch the comment about being so smart but used deans knowing their limits????
Uhmmm did anyone catch the comment '' I work in electronics assembly, I've been ''playing'' with electronics since I was 5 '' and yet the pictures show a nube hack wire job!
from Castle on their test run they show 63-64 peak amps, and about 35 amps average!
read the 1st post he called the guy a clown that blew it due to using deans so its not his rig (unless he thinks he's a clown)
Old 04-28-2011, 07:17 PM
srt10

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Uhmmm did anyone catch the comment '' I work in electronics assembly, I've been ''playing'' with electronics since I was 5 '' and yet the pictures show a nube hack wire job!
read the 1st post he called the guy a clown that blew it due to using deans so its not his rig (unless he thinks he's a clown)
I thnk we know who the clown is...
Old 04-28-2011, 07:45 PM
rcflip

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I dont know a proton from a neutron but I do know an electron is what we are trying to contain here, they are what is released when the so called smoke is let out and most people have a god dam hard time putting it back in.

What I am getting at here is I am with you brother, not because of your fancy degree or word smithing, but because the other team is a <Edited>!!

Keep up the good work and fight the good fight brother!!

p.s. If the esc dont get da current it aint gunna explode, but da input connector will!!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:50 PM
srt10

I hate when I can get that dang magic smoke back in the esc
Old 04-28-2011, 10:58 PM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andrew

I agree with you on this, but think about it, this was due from faulty ecs's with under-capable capacitors. If they had had proper caps then it wouldnt have happened.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:41 AM
TheyDontWantMusic

Uhmmm did anyone catch the comment " I work in electronics assembly, I've been "playing" with electronics since I was 5 " and yet the pictures show a nube hack wire job!
are you on drugs?

Old 04-29-2011, 03:45 AM
dalolyn
My Feedback: (7)

Different use of electricity but take a construction site as a scenario. { this scenario has happened many times } New construction, power poll 100 plus feet away from job site. Nice big thick # 10 wire ran down to site. plumber takes a short cord and doesn't have enough length. plugs in another cheap cord into that. He is pulling more amps then his cord and " connection"s will allow
Guess what? extension cords start to melt at the connections. Bad enough to start to smoke then no connection. I am no engineer but in real life that is how it works. Does not blow the breaker. does not hurt the tools. sometimes, after the cords are left to cool, you cant unplug them because of the ends melted together with the rubber/plastic.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:13 AM
srt10

ORIGINAL: plasmaedge

Andrew

I agree with you on this, but think about it, this was due from faulty ecs's with under-capable capacitors. If they had had proper caps then it wouldnt have happened.

yeah that would cause issues [:-]
Old 04-29-2011, 04:22 AM
Foxy

Re: the OP. Calling people clowns etc and 'laughing your ass off' at their mistakes isn't the best way to present the lesson here (if that's what you're trying to do).

There's no evidence that using the wrong kind of plugs caused the esc failure, it could have, it could not have, and the flamefest building around that question is pointless since nobody is in possession of enough facts to make the determination.

If this thread doesn't get a lot more constructive soon, I'll lock it. Perhaps people could approach the subject from a 'what can we learn from this' and offer other electric conversion enthusiasts some links to the right kind of plugs to use and the right way to wire them etc., rather than laughing at the owner of the model in the OP and bickering about what burned first, the chicken or the egg. Other 5b electric convertors may come across this thread in the future, so lets give them something useful, mkay?
Old 04-29-2011, 05:35 AM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you on drugs?

Oh bro go chuck a shrimp on the barbie

Old 04-29-2011, 07:14 AM
srt10

Deans, I don't think so......
just a little re show from Castle running this conversion in a 5B
Old 04-29-2011, 08:29 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: plasmaedge

are you on drugs?

Oh bro go chuck a shrimp on the barbie

They call them prawn, not shrimp, jeez[&:] Don't you know ANYTHING

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.