Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Best Offroad RC Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 08:43 PM
honjgg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you recommend a truck or buggy?
Old 05-09-2015, 02:39 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It all depends what appeals to you. I'd tell someone to start with a 1/10 truck of some sort (stadium-monster-short course) or a 1/8 scale buggy if one is just "bashing". I've been a 1/10 scale buggy guy since the 80's and ever since I've gotten my hands on a stadium truck (2004ish)...it's been more fun to drive around with better ground clearance and easier to drive on rough terrain than a lightweight buggy.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:09 PM
loaba

I'd never tell anyone to start in 1:8 scale anything - the price-point is just too hella high. :-) Same thing with 1:10 4wd anything; the price of admission is staggering.

I think you gotta answer this one question - are you gonna race or bash? Once you know the answer to that, you can wade in and make a choice on class, kit, RTR etc.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:44 PM
wangxdinfo

the sc10, as it's good out of the box and has all the adjustments to make it better, hell if an old guy can go fast with one it must be good.

Last edited by wangxdinfo; 05-15-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:53 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by loaba
I'd never tell anyone to start in 1:8 scale anything - the price-point is just too hella high. :-) Same thing with 1:10 4wd anything; the price of admission is staggering.
Price too high for 1/8 scale? It all depends on where you look. $199.99 for a good 1/8 scale 80% assembled 4wd buggy...sounds reasonable to me. Also...$365 for a RTR 1/8 buggy...yeah, what was I thinking?

You're right. I should never suggest a 1/8 scale "beefed up" 4wd buggy; with bigger/thicker components to take abuse. I should only suggest cheap 1/18 scale RC vehicles that won't be able to go over much of anything. I'm an idiot.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:10 AM
loaba

i think we have two definitions of what "good" means. Race quality 1:8 starts at 600+, but then you knew that. In 1:10, 4wd stuff starts at 400+ (that's kit, mind you.) So, again, yeah - I think what's "good" to you is probably junk by my standard.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:33 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by loaba
i think we have two definitions of what "good" means. Race quality 1:8 starts at 600+, but then you knew that. In 1:10, 4wd stuff starts at 400+ (that's kit, mind you.) So, again, yeah - I think what's "good" to you is probably junk by my standard.
yes and no you can pick up older race models pretty cheap like when I bought my Ofna Jammin X1x CR for $300 RTR threw in $50 in braces, and had it pretty much at level the race kit was at. When I got it the X2 was the current $600 model which had minor changes from it(quite a few racers I talked to liked the X1 more oddly).

Now if its one of the offbrand 1/8ths like Exceed... then I would just say get a 1/10th by a bigger known brand
Old 05-22-2015, 10:51 AM
loaba

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
yes and no you can pick up older race models pretty cheap like when I bought my Ofna Jammin X1x CR for $300 RTR threw in $50 in braces, and had it pretty much at level the race kit was at. When I got it the X2 was the current $600 model which had minor changes from it(quite a few racers I talked to liked the X1 more oddly).

Now if its one of the offbrand 1/8ths like Exceed... then I would just say get a 1/10th by a bigger known brand
When I first got into the hobby, I went new RTR. I won't go that route again, not after learning what I know now. A kit will always be a better value, because they tend to come with upgraded parts (at the expense of low-end electronics in the RTR.) You mentioned used and I am not opposed to that either. I've sourced both a B4 and a B5 used and been happy with both.

As far as off-brand goes, I like Hobby King electronics and batteries, but I don't know if I'd buy any of their complete cars. I think if you're gonna spend 200 bucks on a crap 1:8, heck yeah - you're better off spending that money on something used.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:53 AM
loaba

Originally Posted by RustyUs
I'm an idiot.
You mad, 'bro?
Old 05-24-2015, 01:49 AM
devilplayer

Go for the hpi trophy truggy! Best choice for me, but upgrade the shocks and shock caps.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:08 AM
RustyUs

Yeah, that HPI Trophy truggy looks like your typical beefy built 1/8 scale truggy. I never had a HPI, but most of their stuff looks built well and gets great reviews most of the time. With that said, every RC I every owned had minor issues with at least one aspect of the vehicle.

I'd still have a 1/8 scale truggy to play with, but I picked the wrong brand to deal with I guess... or at least the brand I had never resolved the front universal drives issue. Going through handfuls of poorly made steel universal joints lead me away from the large wheeled truggy scene, and the speed from 4S packs was just too much for my kids to handle with people and dogs around .