Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

1st time build

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 07:39 PM
Xirian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st time build

this is my1st time building a rc car from a kit. ive got everything i need picked out but im lost on the motor pinion gear.

this is the kit

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Road-Buggy-Kit

this is the motor esc kit

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tor-Combo-135T

im lost on what type of motor gear i need. the track im running is med size and only has one long straight which is only about 200ft long. thx in advance
Old 06-11-2011, 07:45 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: 1st time build

Xirian, it depends on what the final drive ratio is. ThunderbirdJunkie's B4.1 likes a 24/81? (haven't taken the gear cover off in a while...) pinion/spur with a 2.60:1 transmission ratio, which makes for an 8.775 final drive ratio (not including tires). Since the tires are the same size between the two cars, you may want to try about a 9:1 overall ratio. Pick your spur and pinion based on what the ratios are on the ring and pinion gears at the diffs.

Have a blast, ThunderbirdJunkie wishes 4wd buggy was bigger around here
Old 06-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Xirian

yea im not even sure what the final drive is on this buggy, its adjustable but i havent had my hands on it yet, im making this list so i can buy it all in one shot and have it rdy to run when its built.

too bad u dont live down here, the tracks i race at is 80% buggy 4wd and 2wd its why im adding a buggy to race besides my sct so i can get some race time, 1 class of sct and like 4-5 of buggy elec and nitros
Old 06-11-2011, 08:00 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

The final drive ratio is adjustable, but that's just through the pinion and spur. You should be able to find the gear ratio of the buggy itself (minus the pinion/spur) on their site. It's probably also in the instructions.

Remember that driving a 4wd buggy is WAAAAAY different than a 2wd SCT, and requires a totally different driving style. It won't want to stay nose-high because of the body parachuting, and it's going to be way more responsive (read: touchy) in the air to throttle and brake inputs.

The nice thing about the Tekin and 13.5 combo is that it's so flexible...you can make the sucker run like a 10.5 through ESC programming or calm it down as slow as you need to.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:02 PM
Xirian

ok thx TB ur always a great for help!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:04 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

No problem, dude.
BTW; do you need saddle packs for that thing?
Old 06-11-2011, 08:07 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Oh wow!

Just did some reading up on it...you CAN adjust the internal ratio! That's freaking COOL! 2.2:1 for stock, 2.6:1 for mild mod, and 3.0:1 for mod!

That's awesome. ThunderbirdJunkie wishes more companies would do this.

Anyway, with the 2.6:1, you'd want a 23/82? or something similar to start out with. Lower than the 2w buggy because of extra driveline drag and weight since it's 4wd.

You should always have a few pinions and spurs in your pit box, though, for playing around and experimenting. Best way to spend $50 on spare parts is a nice broad selection of gears
Old 06-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Xirian

they are cheap so ill just buy 5-6 diff kinds and see what runs best without burning my motor up. if im dropping this much money in this thing might as well go a little further and get some diff types of gears
thx again TBJ
Old 06-12-2011, 11:09 AM
markfos73

I have always wanted a Schumacher. They seem like well designed RCs