RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

ESC troubleshooting

Old 06-27-2011, 06:48 AM
NewRageRC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default ESC troubleshooting

My neighbor crashed in to a mailbox and managed to break just the ESC in his Rustler. He's ordered a replacement so Ithought I'd try to troubleshoot the broken one and see if Ican't get it working. I pulled it apart and didn't find anything obviously broken, but I did find that the BEC is only outputting about 2.5v. It seems to me like this would most likely be a problem with a FET. I pulled out my multimeter but couldn't make any sense of the resistance I was seeing can anyone shed some light?Does my thinking make sense?
Old 06-27-2011, 07:28 AM
NOVAMEGA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ESC troubleshooting

A reflow on a esc board would be a headache ..... I wouldn't even know where to start . I'm not sayin try this cuz I don't have a clue , but if nothing looks broke on the board maybe try heating it up with a heatgun to try a poor mans reflow . I would only try that after you found out the FET specs ......I hope you get it working it sounds like a fun little mission .....
Old 06-27-2011, 08:36 AM
NewRageRC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll try the heat gun. If that doesn't work I'll probably just toss it. The BEC is on a seperate PCB soldered directly to the first with all the traces on the inside so you can't even make the circuit out.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:08 PM
QSR1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a Redcat Volcanp EXP pro electric

I hooked up a LiPo 2 cell 7.4 V to the truck and it ran awesome for about 5 minutes.

Now truck does nothing no lights on ESC, reciever nothing, even with stock battery.

I made sure the battery did not exceed truck limitations, what next?

Search this Thread