Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

Which should I get HPI E firestorm Vektor 4800kv or Flux Warp 5700k?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Which should I get HPI E firestorm Vektor 4800kv or Flux Warp 5700k?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 05:27 PM
namewasdallas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which should I get HPI E firestorm Vektor 4800kv or Flux Warp 5700k?

So I'm getting back into R/C trucks again, I'm getting the HPI E Firestorm because its a awesome truck all around has a great tranny a 2.4ghz radio, waterproff , and can be a racer with minor mods.

Now I just found out today there's 2 different Brushless setups for the HPI E FireStorm Flux.

My question is what Setup is faster and which is the better choice between the Brushless motor and the ESC?

Are they both made by castle creations or is only one of them made by CC and labeled as HPI?

Listed Below is off of HPI Website.

WATERPROOF
The E-Firestorm Flux now has a waterproof receiver box to keep the 2.4GHz receiver protected from the elements for glitch-free operation. A new SF-10W waterproof steering servo and a waterproof Flux Vapor speed control mean your E-Firestorm won't be stopped by wet conditions like rain, snow, and mud.
MORE POWER
The E-Firestorm Flux takes the durable E-Firestorm platform to the next level with amazing performance from brushless motor technology. The updated Flux brushless system includes a Flux Vektor 4800Kv brushless motor that is controlled by Flux Vapor waterproof electronic speed control. The new motor/esc combo is now capable of handling a 3S Li-Po battery pack for a blazing top speed over 50 mph! Experience the extreme power and efficiency that brushless technology offers.
2.4GHz RADIO SYSTEM
Controlling the E-Firestorm Flux is easy with the HPI 2.4GHz radio system. No need to worry about changing crystals, the radio prevents frequency conflicts automatically. If the truck loses radio signal or battery power, an electronic failsafe will bring it to a safe and controlled stop.
BUILT TOUGH
TOUGH is the word that best describes the E-Firestorm Flux. Everywhere you look the critical parts have been designed to withstand the rigors of off-road racing. The key to durability for any 2WD stadium truck is the transmission, and the E-Firestorm Flux tranny is extra tough, using all metal gears to easily handle the power of hot electric motors. Inside the tranny is a sealed planetary differential with, again, all metal gears for extra toughness. And everything is protected by an adjustable dual-pad slipper clutch mated to durable 48 pitch gears, with tough steel dogbones and axles transmit the power to the tires.

The Other 5700kv setup-

The Warp 5700 features:
1. Powerful, high-speed brushless motor
2. Excellent pairing of huge power and extraordinary efficiency
3. Same size as standard 540-size motor
4. Sleek black-anodized aluminum casing
5. Zero maintenance design
6. External solder tabs for easy wire replacement
7. Oversized precision ball bearings for long life
8. High Torque/ High Temperature Neodymium rotor
9. Slotless stator design delivers smooth, linear torque
10. Easy 4-point mounting for convenient installation
11. Longer run times than a comparable brushed motor
12. Easily rebuildable with bearings and rotor being user-replaceable
13. Compatible with any sensorless ESC

The Flux Motiv speed controller features:
1. Up to 7 NiMH cell (8.4v) or 2S LiPo compatability
2. LiPo programmable low-voltage cutoff**
3. High performance cross-cut aluminum heat sink
4. Proportional braking for great control off-power
5. Huge amount of continuous power handling (70A* Continuous / 380A burst current)
6. Smooth startup and run with sensorless motors (Patents Pending)
7. Reversing speedo with programmable reverse lock-out for racing
8. Small size: 46 x 36 x 23mm (1.8"L x 1.4"W x 0.9"H)
9. Extremely light weight: 62.4 g (2.2 oz)
10. Authentic Dean's battery plug for a secure zero-loss connection
11. Durable on/off switch
12. Simple initial programming
13. Ability to easily adjust speedo parameters with HPI link cable (not supplied
Old 07-28-2011, 05:34 PM
namewasdallas

Default RE: Which should I get HPI E firestorm Vektor 4800kv or Flux Warp 5700k?

They also said this about the vapor ESC on the 4800KV

FLUX VAPOR BRUSHLESS ESC FEATURES:
    [*]6-7 Cell NiMH/ NiCd or 3 Cell Li-Po[*]Waterproof[*]Can handle 40% MORE power than Motiv ESC[*]Ultra low resistance (.0007 ohms / phase)[*]Sensorless technology eliminates additional sensor wiring and complexity[*]Lithium Compatible. **Programmable Lithium under-voltage cutoff protects delicate Lithium packs from over-discharge[*]High performance cross-cut aluminum heat sink[*]Smooth startup and run with sensorless motors (Patents Pending)[*]Linear Torque Braking/ allows better control on corner entry[/list]*25C temperature, 5mph air flow through heat sink minimum. Burst current: < 2 seconds duration, 1% Duty cycle.
    **ESC must be programmed for Lithium cutoff when using Lithium batteries
Old 07-28-2011, 05:51 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Which should I get HPI E firestorm Vektor 4800kv or Flux Warp 5700k?

The old 5700kv flux is discontinued, They all come with the new 4800kv, 2.4ghz and waterproofing) unless you find someone with some old stock 5700kv motors (which dont have a 2.4ghz or waterproofing)
Old 07-28-2011, 07:00 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

The 4800kv motor is a 4 pole Castle 1406 or 1410-derived motor. It makes more torque. HPI does, however, have that truck geared low from the factory just FYI; run it on 2S, gear it to the moon, and it will run cool and happy.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:51 PM
namewasdallas

So the 4800kv 4 pole is the better motor i take it?

Is the ESC water proof or just the servo?

I was also thinking when i get the truck i Could take out the ESC and Brushless motor and sell them as Brand new and with that money buy the Rustler VXL Motor and ESC.

Between the VXL and the Vektor 4800k which is the faster motor? The VXL isnt programable like the Vektor or am i wrong?

Thanks for the help guys Just want to do it right the first time an not have any regrets about spending $300+

Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

You definitely do NOT want to get rid of the Sidewinder combo that comes with the truck to get a Traxxas system.

It's 1000x better, and your cars shouldn't get wet anyway.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:15 AM
namewasdallas

i dont plan on getting my truck wet at all, I was just asking the question.

Now here's another question im looking at the 100mph + Rustler set ups and they all run the Mamba Max 2200kv with ESC combo and a 31 pinon and like 40T spur.

Is there any small Spurs that I could buy to put on the Firestorm to gear it like the rustlers and have a 100mph Storm

Last question about brushless motor's.    Does a Lower kv number mean a faster motor  as in a 2200kv would be faster then say a 4800kv?

Old 07-29-2011, 06:40 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: namewasdallas

i dont plan on getting my truck wet at all, I was just asking the question.

Now here's another question im looking at the 100mph + Rustler set ups and they all run the Mamba Max 2200kv with ESC combo and a 31 pinon and like 40T spur.

Is there any small Spurs that I could buy to put on the Firestorm to gear it like the rustlers and have a 100mph Storm

Last question about brushless motor's. Does a Lower kv number mean a faster motor as in a 2200kv would be faster then say a 4800kv?

the opposite actually
KV rating X voltage of batteries = RPMs
the reason people slap the 2200kv's in is because you can run them on 4-6S, and in 1/10ths you can gear them as high as possible without getting the motor warm.

I forgot after how many RPMs the rotor explodes, but I know 4000-5000kv motors you generally can't run past 3S
Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 AM
namewasdallas

Can you run any mamba motor off the Mamba Max Pro ESC?

Or which motors is it limited to?

because after reading around I think I want to get a 4 pole motor because they stay cool better and have more torque

Unless someone knows a good Mamba motor, Has anyone tryed the new Mamba Sidewinder V2 it says it has 40% more power then the orginal sidewinder

Old 07-29-2011, 01:24 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the stock 4800kv motor in the storm on 3s is good for 60 mph which is all you will ever need in a storm.,, trust me.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:55 AM
Phukkitt

ORIGINAL: namewasdallas

Has anyone tryed the new Mamba Sidewinder V2 it says it has 40% more power then the orginal sidewinder

As far as I know, the ESC that comes with the Flux, the Vapor, is a rebranded Sidewinder v2, as the old Flux Motiv was a rebranded Sidewinder v1.

Old 07-30-2011, 01:36 PM
namewasdallas

that makes sense, its nice that HPI puts in a good system for a stock RTR truck. I still plan on taking out the vektor and tossing it in my rustler and buying the Mamba Max Pro ESC and a 1410 3800KV motor or the 1415 2400KV motor by Mamba.  My rustler needs some work so it will be a bit before thats up and going. I Can't wait to Order my Storm hopefully within 2 weeks I'll have the rest of the money to order it.
I've been working extra hours at work as much as possible this past week, just sucks only making 10hr
Old 08-02-2011, 09:28 AM
strong

So the 4800kv on 2s lipo is how much slower than the 5700kv motor on 2s lipo.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:30 PM
namewasdallas

hey Strong, you got it all wrong, the Lower the KV the More gear you can run which will make more speed so the 4800kv is faster then the 5700kv and will also have more torque. The new 4 pole motors if you look on castle creations website youll see the 1405, 1410 and 1415 are all under 5000kv and 4 pole motors which make more torque and stay cooler then the older style 2 pole CM36 motors. You can also run bigger Lipos I think.

I plan on switching out my Vektor 4800KV which is A Castle Creations SideWinder V2 ESC and Motor just Labeled as a Vektor to the Mamba Max Pro Short Course Truck Motor/ESC COmbo, which is the 2400KV motor which can run up to a 4s Lipo and be geared to the moon and still stay cool cause the Motor and Speed Controler each have a fan which keeps everything happy cool.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Captain Rusty

Using the same size battery and same gearing, a high kv motor will be faster than a lower kv motor, however motors have their limits. Since kv stands for RPM per volt it makes it easier to see why a high kv motor burns out on high voltage set ups. Running the 2200kv set up on 6s gives you 55440 RPM's on paper (25.2Vx2200kv) but if you tried with the 5700kv you'd spin at 146160 RPM which would obviously cause catastrophic failure. Even at 4800kv you're spinning 120960 RPM and most brushless motors are limited to under 100000RPM. So yes, higher kv motors are faster up until the point they self destruct from over revving but also lower kv motors can be geared higher with no heat issues allowing them to hit higher speeds without burning up first.