Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New purchase feedback please

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 03:22 PM
outspoken

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New purchase feedback please

Hey everyone, I've been out of RC for nearly 20 years and wanted to start racing again. Here is a list of what I'd like to get, let me know if it's decent:

Code:
 Losi TEN-SCTE
 Novak Havoc Pro SC
 Novak Ballistic 17.5T
 Savox SC-1258TG
 Futaba 3PL	
 Hyperion 720i
 Hyperion Swift 5000mAh 2S 30C HardCase
I decided to jump right into mod with this setup. Nothing has been purchased yet, looking for advise.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:01 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: New purchase feedback please

ITBJHO the SCTE is a bit of a terd. The Havoc PRo and 17.5t combo won't power the truck with any authority.

You'd be better off with a Tekin 4 pole motor and an RX8 speed control...the Ten SCTE NEEDS a 1/8 scale speedo.

Alternatively, check out the SC10 4x4 which is a far better truck out of the box. Everything else you listed would be fine, but replace the Ballistic 17.5t with a Ballistic 6.5t with a 12.5mm rotor.

ThunderbirdJunkie would recommend getting an XXX-SCT, the TLR tuning kit, Thunder Power 5300 65c batteries, the same charger, a Tekin 10.5 combo...if you need a setup, ThunderbirdJunkie can provide it.

Do you really want to race 4w SCT, or do you really want to race 2w SCT?
Old 08-16-2011, 04:50 PM
wanna_be_racer

ThunderBirdJunkie pretty much nailed it. A 550 size brushless is deff needed to give any kind of serious power to a SC truck. I also agree with the 1/8 speedo. Good luck to ya, mate.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:14 PM
outspoken

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie
Alternatively, check out the SC10 4x4 which is a far better truck out of the box. Everything else you listed would be fine, but replace the Ballistic 17.5t with a Ballistic 6.5t with a 12.5mm rotor.

ThunderbirdJunkie would recommend getting an XXX-SCT, the TLR tuning kit, Thunder Power 5300 65c batteries, the same charger, a Tekin 10.5 combo...if you need a setup, ThunderbirdJunkie can provide it.

Do you really want to race 4w SCT, or do you really want to race 2w SCT?
I found out that the local tracks mainly run xxx-sct and sc10 trucks with 17.5, which suites me fine.

Any new recommendations based on that? I appreciate the help.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:31 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

XXX-SCT race roller ($180?) and the TLR tuning kit (comes with the EA3, which replaced graphite, arms ball diff and some other goodies), Spektrum 6040 servo, Tekin RS with a Trinity 17.5 (more expensive ESC than the Novak, but 1,000x better), run the stock tires till they're bald if you're running outdoors.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:11 AM
Mysterious

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10655645/tm.htm