Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

best bang for you buck brushed motor on the market.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 07:14 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: best bang for you buck brushed motor on the market.

Um, you're comparing a very basic brushed motor to brushless...that's how.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:43 PM
NjBasher

ok ok guys!!! clearly brushed is off limits. they dont even sell them on tower hobbies any more. two years ago i was able to get any kind of brushed motor in the market, and tower hobbies has caught on to the out dated stuff. im looking at three systems. this is what im looking at
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBLCA&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXWM5&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVUT9&P=0

i like the vxl because its water proof and thats big for me.
what do you guys think. and i also am considering maybe 2s or 3s lipo. any suggestions?
Old 09-04-2011, 04:55 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

TBH, the VXL is water resistant at best. The only truly waterproof ESCs are the epoxy dipped Mtroniks stuff and most boat ESCs (which are in the same boat, pun intended, as the Mtroniks being epoxy dipped).

The Venom system will be junk for anything off road and 1/10 scale, the Sidewinder ESC sucks until further notice...
Consider the following for a good, budget ESC/motor combo. It's sensored, great throttle feel, the Havoc ESCs run great in 2wd 1/10 RCs and some lighter 1/10 4wds, it'll be fast, and you can change endbell timing.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXZMU0&P=ML
Old 09-04-2011, 08:44 PM
NjBasher

that deff looks like a good combo. are there any wayer resistant esc motor combos on the market besides the vxl?
Old 09-05-2011, 05:56 AM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

Any esc plus a crapload of epoxy
Old 09-05-2011, 06:53 AM
NjBasher

hmm that sounds like a fun project. but wontr epoxying an esc wont allow it to vent and cool properly
Old 09-05-2011, 11:18 AM
savagecommander

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

TBH, the VXL is water resistant at best. The only truly waterproof ESCs are the epoxy dipped Mtroniks stuff and most boat ESCs (which are in the same boat, pun intended, as the Mtroniks being epoxy dipped).
have you ever pulled the bottom off a VXL? its potted just like the other stuff.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:06 PM
NjBasher

no i havent. i saw this one from another thread. is it any good http://www.nitrorcx.com/26p-blcombo-60a-12r-3300kv.html
Old 09-05-2011, 05:27 PM
savagecommander

1/10 scale maybe. 54 amps constant aint that much. the motor looks like a decent piece though. maybe if they had a lower kv, like a 2600 motor then that esc would be ok, but i think you'd need like 80A constant at least with that motor.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:09 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

have you ever pulled the bottom off a VXL? its potted just like the other stuff.
Potted? Define potted.

It's just a gasket around the case and heat sink that makes it "waterproof". Gaskets are known to fail. Ask any Jeep 4.0L
Old 09-05-2011, 07:49 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

i saw this one from another thread. is it any good http://www.nitrorcx.com/26p-blcombo-60a-12r-3300kv.html
The other current thread speaks pretty well of it

Ask any Jeep 4.0L
define that? ask about what? my jeep 4.0L went 197000 miles before I traded it in, loved that Jeep and its engine. (no failed gaskets either)
Old 09-07-2011, 05:47 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

are u saying ur jeep went 197000miles without a gasket failing??????? I find that impossible, no aumotive motor cad do that ampunt of miles with out a gasket failing,

gasket failing, A gasket that is not doing the task it was designed for.
Are u saying u car had no oil leaks from any of the gaskets???? $10 says the diff hats was seaping
Old 09-07-2011, 06:06 AM
savagecommander

It's just a gasket around the case and heat sink that makes it ''waterproof''.
you obviously have no clue.

thats potted. and this one has been in the clinton river on more than one occasion.

next time you feel the need to comment on VXL's, dont.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:34 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Why don't you show us the TOP of the board, then

After that, if VXL speedos are truly waterproof, why don't you explain to us why hobby shops and forums are awash every winter with "Y MY TRUCK DOESNT WURK" after running in snow?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 AM
savagecommander

Why don't you show us the TOP of the board, then

After that, if VXL speedos are truly waterproof, why don't you explain to us why hobby shops and forums are awash every winter with ''Y MY TRUCK DOESNT WURK'' after running in snow?
you're a genius....

how can i show the top of the board if the plastic case covers it and its sealed in epoxy? i could pry the heat sink off but i think ive proved my point.

and im sure hobby shops and forums are awash with those questions for the same reason there are sixty new threads a day about "my brushless is running hot".....

maybe before you spew garbage about something, have a clue. OK?
Old 04-02-2014, 10:50 AM
DGxInfinitY

Originally Posted by NjBasher
this thread is for the bashers who have a cheap budget. i havent upgraded to brushless and dont plan to until i have more money. im looking for a great motor for my pede. what in your opinion is the best and cheapest brushed motor? there are no limits on the turn of the motor and the manufacturer. usually i have stock motors in my truck but im tired of the slow 20mph speeds. i want my truck to haul some ass =p. the only other motor ive had was the venom fireball. and we all know that its a hit and a miss. so what are some other good options
I would recomend a Trinity SpeedGems Pro Cryptonite 9 turn double winded brushed motor it is one of the fastest brushed motors I've ever seen. I got one from a friend and decided to put it in a ten year old Traxxas Bandit with all stock parts including esc, and instantly got it running like a new Bandit with a mod motor. I also got the car's wheels ballooning to the max on this car and it still could have easily gone faster. I saw a guy get a car with this exact motor to 45 MPH and thats something you dont see everyday with brushed motors. Not to mention that on Trinity's official website the motor it self only cost $25. I think that you would benifit from this motor immensely. BTW After I was done ballooning I touched the motor to see if it was hot and it was preety hot but Keep in mind that was after a long run and ballooning so I think that you wont have any problems with it overheating.

Last edited by DGxInfinitY; 04-02-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:10 AM
phmaximus

Dude this thread was from 2011.... Most of the guys are long gone....
Old 04-03-2014, 04:15 AM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm still here, had to relive tbj trashing my Jeep all over again
Old 04-03-2014, 03:34 PM
phmaximus

That guy had issues.... I've never seen someone refer to them self as a third person as much as he did... It was a little creepy
Old 04-03-2014, 05:57 PM
zackS30

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent been here very long but wow that was super annoying, I would skip all his.comments cuz of that.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:52 PM
5fifty5

Default Update here

Originally Posted by namewasdallas
Brushed motors are still fast, if you can find a Novak ESC that can run 8-12turn motor limits i think the Novak GTS runs up to a 12turn motor.

Along with the novak esc  buy used on ebay that and  a Orion v2 Brushed motor there fast for a brushed motor I have my old rustler runing that setup and we droped a 2s in and did two speed runs and almost clocked 50mph.

I just went brushless with a new RTR truck and I'll never go back.

Brushless is just better all around, cheaper in the long run. They spin 3x the Rpms of a Brushed motor and you can gear some motors to the moon.

Deff checkout Hobbyking.com I've seen a buddys hobby wing esc and motor yeah there nothing speical but their cheap and faster and less maitence then any brushes setup.

- I have a Castle 1415, 2400kv Motor NINB with New Castle fan, asking $100.00
Can someone clarify to me how a brushless motor spins 3 times faster than brushed?
Like how a Reedy 17.5 stock on 2s spins at 19k RPM and Reedy Radon spools up to 26k on 6 cell Nimh .
I have an old SG2 Jade that cranks around 27k on the same pack. To triple that you need to be running over 5000kv at 3s which would be silly in a truck or buggy....even at 2s that is overkill.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:05 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Brushed and Brushless "Turns" are not the same. The 17T Radon brushed motor and a 17.T brushless motor are two comepletly different animals when it comes to turns. Kv, is a measurement of performance output. Turns, is a physical attribute . A brushed motor's rotating armature has the wires are wrapped around it. A brushless motors wires are attached to the "can" and do not rotate.

A little estimation chart for comparison may help:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RC%u0025252520Brushed-Brushless%252520Motor%252520Conversion.jpg
Views:	8597
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	2153018  
Old 03-18-2016, 04:18 AM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by 5fifty5
...Like how a Reedy 17.5 stock on 2s spins at 19k RPM and Reedy Radon spools up to 26k on 6 cell Nimh .
That Reedy 17.5 motor is probably rated at 2303kv (from spec sheet)
2303kv x 7.4v (6 cell) = 17,042 rpm
2303kv x 8.4v (2S) = 19,345 rpm
Old 03-18-2016, 04:29 AM
RustyUs

...I have an old SG2 Jade that cranks around 27k on the same pack...
This brushed motor would be equivalent to an approximate 13.5T brushless motor running on 2S LiPo pack.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:58 AM
RustyUs

Can someone clarify to me how a brushless motor spins 3 times faster than brushed?
I think the other poster had taken something outta context somewhere? Other than the ball bearings the rotor spins on, there is no physical connection at all, automatically making the brushless motor more efficient and longer-lasting because there is no friction like that of brushed motors using brushes touching the commutator. Also the electronically switching on and off the coils for brushless motors is much more efficient than brushed motors.

Once I switched to brushless motors, there was no going back. Now, if I ever get the itch to get a "crawler" platform, I might consider a brushed motor for the fact of controlling low speed low end power that many crawler dudes still swear by.

Just saying .