Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Savage FLUX XL HP - Gearing Wheel/Tire Question?

Old 09-05-2011, 06:56 AM
JUCD VPR

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Savage FLUX XL HP - Gearing Wheel/Tire Question?

Hi guys just looking for a little advice. I have a Savage Flux HP converted to XL fully modified HPI Suspension coversion/RPM arms, castle cooling fan etc. I WAS running 40 Series Chayanne Wheels W/40 series Big Joe tires. I geared down to an 18T pinion Gear to handle the change and it did very well.

Now to my QUESTION, I wanted to try out the GST 7.7 Wheels and tires I have laying around because I like the look and height it gives the truck, just figured i;d try them for a while to see if I like them. What Pinion Gear do you think I should go to, or will I be OK with the current 18T pinion. I don;t want to risk burining anything up so I fiugred i'd ask for a little advice sicne these tires are very tall, alot taller than the Big Joes/Cheyanne combo I previously had.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:15 AM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Savage FLUX XL HP - Gearing Wheel/Tire Question?

i'd drop down a tooth or two to be safe and run it lightly check temps, run it a bit harder check temps, repeat until you're running full out, and give it a min or 2 between each temp check...

the lug
Old 09-05-2011, 09:02 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Are you running the 44T spur? You run 6S, right? If so, then gearing down may be wise; drop a notch or to on the pinon and maybe go up to a 47T spur if needed. Don't let the motor and ESC temps get past 150-160. I learned that the ESC fan switches on at 170 and the system shuts down at 190. As long as the ESC fan can still switch off occassionally and not run continuously then I'd say you're OK.

I know you already have the GSTtires available which is why you when that routebut, I am interested in doing something similar with my Flux except I'm looking into using 5B / 5T tires. Basically, all one has to do is swap the hexes to what; 23mm is it? The same axles should work, right?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:36 AM
JUCD VPR

I had to get the savage hex adapter to fit the larger hexes wheels and tires.

So you guys are saying a 16T PINION GEAR?

Yes I have the 44T Spur Gear on it now.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:21 AM
BKoz559

I'll sum it up this way:

1. Run the truck as is. However, keep a close watch on the temps. Check it often.
2.If the motor or ESC get dangerously hot or the ESC ever shuts down, then change your gearing. A 16 may be too small to allow the motor to move close enough to the spur. You might have to go up a a couple notches on the spur instead.
3. Otherwise if all is well then have fun and post a video.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:10 AM
BKoz559

Also, JUCD, Iwant to learn more about the axles you are using. Ican't keep the stock wheel nuts in place as one always seems to work it's way loose. Fortunately Ihave been able to recover all the little pieces that spin off after the tire rolls away! But, someday Imay not be so lucky.

Please tell me what axles and or wheels nuts you are using. I went to the LHS and the guy was showing me some Revo stuff. I looked like it might work but it didn't seem like the right equipment. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-08-2011, 08:17 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: BKoz559

Are you running the 44T spur? You run 6S, right? If so, then gearing down may be wise; drop a notch or to on the pinon and maybe go up to a 47T spur if needed. Don't let the motor and ESC temps get past 150-160. I learned that the ESC fan switches on at 170 and the system shuts down at 190. As long as the ESC fan can still switch off occassionally and not run continuously then I'd say you're OK.

I know you already have the GST tires available which is why you when that route but, I am interested in doing something similar with my Flux except I'm looking into using 5B / 5T tires. Basically, all one has to do is swap the hexes to what; 23mm is it? The same axles should work, right?
Baja wheels are 24mm hexes, ITBJRC. ThunderbirdJunkie recalls they fit loosely on 23mm hexes, and are "useable", but not "right".

The GST wheels are 23mm hexes, and the old Pro Line 23mm adapters will work for those if you can find them. Or do they still make em?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:51 AM
BKoz559

I've been pricing out 5T rear wheels / tires to use on all 4 corners of my Flux. Whenever Iget an opportunity to drop some money on them is also when Ineed to do something about the wheel nuts, hexes and/or axles. The stock nuts are just too friggin' small; they're like 8mm nuts or something and unless Iuse loctite they manage to come loose.

From my research, 5T wheels mount on 24mm hexes. Now, can Isimply buy new 5T hexes and slip them onto my stock Flux axles or do Ineed some kind of special hex adapters? Then, how do Iget those large wheel nuts (similar to Revo ones) to mount onto the Flux? The ID of those nuts is much larger than the thread on the Flux axles.

Would these hex's fit the axles: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...VSEARCH=102157
And would these nuts fit those new hexes? http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUYM3&P=7
Old 10-01-2011, 03:34 AM
tightdog1

All you need is the HPI 24mm conversion parts. [link=http://www.hpiracing.com/press/102530.html]http://www.hpiracing.com/press/102530.html[/link] [link=http://www.tcscrawlers.com/HPI-Racing-ALUMINUM-WHEEL-HEX-HUB-SET-24mm-GRAY-4pcs-102530-p-18086.html]TCS HPI 24mm Hex Kit[/link] Thats what I run with 5T tires on my Savage Flux TCS 5T and use the HPI 24mm kit. I also have a set of the 5b axles and they didnt fit right, so dont waste your time with those.