Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Please Help me out Im Clueless??

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 07:26 PM
laosy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help me out Im Clueless??

Ok I just got a RC10 TC3 RTR for my birthday. Its factory asembled. What the problem is is that I know nothing about RC. So yes Im a newbie and since I have the RC I want to get into the hobby. So I have a few question?

1. Is my car any good?
2. How fast can they go out of the box?
3. Whats the fastest an electric car can go?
4. Do I need to upgrade anything to make it faster? What motor is recomended.
5. What are differences between gas and electric RC?

Im not racing or anything but I care mostly about speed. Please help this newbie out.

Thanks
Old 08-19-2003, 08:05 PM
Shadow102
My Feedback: (5)

1. Tc3 is an absolutly excelent car it is recomended for beginers and good enough for the most experienced racers (with upgrades to factory team specs and what not)

2. out of the box expect about 25-30mph out of a tc3

3. The fastest an electric car can go...well thats an odd question sort of. I will be the first to tell you that the hobby of rc cars rly has never been about overall top speed i mean some ppl do it but its mostly about what the area you are running on can handle and your budget. however so far the top speed record is close to 110mph for an electric i believe but thats running a custom one-off hand built motor and like 24 cells

4. Upgrades are whatever your budget can handle. in the case of a tc3 everything and anything can be upgraded. my first recomendation to you is a good esc the LRP runner that it comes with isn't exactly top of the line equipment. if you plan on going fast look for a no motor limit esc.

5. Gas and electric...well first off (geek mode on) its not rly gas it is a fuel car it runs a alcohol, nitromethane, oil 2 stroke fuel mix. (geek mode off). Obviously the big difference is the way they power the car. electric runs off a battery, esc, and motor where as a nitro car runs off a engine, fuel, and a servo to control the throttle. There are trade offs in both areas in terms of what ppl like. i prefer both and for a beginner like yourself i recomend you get familiar with electric to learn the basics of rc cars. You could start out with nitro but with nitro there is alot of patience, tuning, and generally a lot bigger mess lol

good luck and welcome to our money pit we call a hobby use the search feature as most questions have been asked over and over here
Old 08-19-2003, 08:21 PM
laosy

Thanks shadow that clear up some things. So I should upgrade the ESC first? I thought the motor was more important. Wat does the ESC do anyways? What battry is recomended cause the one i have last me a good 10 min.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:00 PM
Shadow102
My Feedback: (5)

wow 10min thats actually alot for a battery. and you should upgrade the esc a.k.a. electronic speed control. It does exactly what the name says it does it regulates how fast the motor turns compared to the throttle input from your remote (after it goes through the reciever of course). Neway you rly can't upgrade the motor first because the esc won't handle anything lower than an 18t motor and i believe it already comes with a 20turn. if yo are looking for all out speed get a 11turn or less esc limit and get an 11-12 turn motor. My recomendation is a GM V6R i have one they are tiny, have reverse, can handle up to 10 cells, and have a 12turn motor limit....BTW if you are gonna ask about turns on a motor do a search it will be explained very well on some older threads
Old 08-19-2003, 09:43 PM
laosy

lol the more question I ask the more confuse Im getting. Thanks for the info tho.
Old 08-20-2003, 04:42 PM
megahyperion

wish I got a TC3 for my birthday,

btw it was ranked best overall in radio control touring cars magazine, fall 2002

thats why I bought one anyway