Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Double wireing batteries

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 12:59 PM
YarOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double wireing batteries

I want to hook-up two batteries at once but I am not sure what circut type I should use. I know either a series circut or a parrallel will give me the power of two batteries, witch is it??
Old 09-10-2011, 01:17 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Double wireing batteries

Either way will double the power potential of one pack. Series wiring will double the voltage if that's what you want. Parallel won't help power (well, it will a tiny bit) for a given set-up , but has the potential to double the current if that's what you want.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:20 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The difference is that batteries in a series add voltages together at a common current while batteries in parallel add currents together at a common voltage. Basically, two 3s batteries in series will add up to 22.2 volts. Those two same batteries in parallel will retain the 11.1 volt output, but the discharge rate and capacity will be added together. Two 30c batteries in parallel will jump to 60c.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:23 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

The discharge "C" rating of a pack never goes up , but can go down with time.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: proanti1

The difference is that batteries in a series add voltages together at a common current while batteries in parallel add currents together at a common voltage. Basically, two 3s batteries in series will add up to 22.2 volts. Those two same batteries in parallel will retain the 11.1 volt output, but the discharge rate and capacity will be added together. Two 30c batteries in parallel will jump to 60c.
capacity adds not C-rating
say I have 2 5000mah 30C batteries
the way you say it the result would be 10,000mah @60C which would be 600Amp discharge
Seeing they have to be the same C-rating, and voltage you could get away with adding the capacities so it would be 10,000mah @30C so it would be 300Amps, but to do it properly you should calculate each one's discharge rating individually, and then add them together.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

the way you say it the result would be 10,000mah @60C which would be 600Amp discharge
Seeing they have to be the same C-rating, and voltage you could get away with adding the capacities so it would be 10,000mah @30C so it would be 300Amps, but to do it properly you should calculate each one's discharge rating individually, and then add them together.
You're right, good catch syco.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:13 PM
YarOne

Ahhh,ok.   Thank you very much guys, i will wire the batteries in a series circut to increase voltage. I just want to make my car go faster lol .

Thanks Again Its been a huge help!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:27 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: YarOne

Ahhh,ok. Thank you very much guys, i will wire the batteries in a series circut to increase voltage. I just want to make my car go faster lol .

what exactly are you using it in, and what ESC outta curiosity?
Old 09-10-2011, 05:05 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: YarOne

Ahhh,ok. Thank you very much guys, i will wire the batteries in a series circut to increase voltage. I just want to make my car go faster lol .

Better be careful with that voltage or you could fry something....
Old 09-10-2011, 05:26 PM
YarOne

Yeah I know that voltage can become pretty high, we will be carefull. And venom my buddy has a traxxas rally he wants to step up the power on.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:09 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

I stand corrected.