Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

dusting off old emaxx, need help

Old 09-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dusting off old emaxx, need help

I bought an E-max 8 years ago? before lipo batteries. I have since had a couple of boys, got into rc planes and the Emaxx has been collecting dust. I can only get a charge on 2 of the old Nimih packs (they were radio shack batteries), but I know that they were 7.2 volt packs. I know that this is a stupid question, but I really don't understand how to pick the right type of lipo pack. Can anyone help me or at least give me a few ideas on specific lipo's to get? I would prefer a cheaper source such as hobbyking, but I am open to just about anything. I am not looking for a top of the line truck, just something fun to tool around with and have my boys play with.

Thanks in advance.

Jon
Old 09-11-2011, 04:22 PM
Minnreefer

Default RE: dusting off old emaxx, need help

Never mind, after more research, I remembered that Lipo's need a low voltage cut off. so I will have to use new nimih batteries.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:27 PM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or you could upgrade to brushless... if the truck is still in pretty good condition why not get something from castle... I just go an E-Revo with a mamba monster and I love it.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:32 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Minnreefer

Never mind, after more research, I remembered that Lipo's need a low voltage cut off. so I will have to use new nimih batteries.
You can buy a LVC and then you can use lipos with the stock esc.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:07 PM
deviltrigger529

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

ORIGINAL: Minnreefer

You can buy a LVC and then you can use lipos with the stock esc.
+1, or you can also grab a couple alarms instead of cutoffs like [link=http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8S-Lipo-Battery-Tester-Low-Voltage-Buzzer-Alarm-RC-1S-/320669324354?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa9619442]these[/link] and a couple 2s lipos and you're ready to rip.

I like the alarms better because they monitor each cells voltage, instead of an ESCs built in cutoff since it only knows total pack voltage.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:32 AM
namewasdallas

Buy a Turnigy Nano-Tech 30c 2s pack from Hobbyking under $30.00 and pick up a use hobby wing ESC and a brushless motor all for under 100

Old 09-13-2011, 06:43 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you can just get a low-voltage-alarm. they only cost $5 each.

i did this on an emaxx i had.

a pair of 2s 5000mah lipos will make your emaxx like a new truck. nimhs could never really put out the kinda power the emaxx wants.

and since you have the earlier emaxx, you have the novak made evx speed control. even tho it says 14.4v on it, it will handle a pair of 2s lipo no problem.

you will want to change the battery plugs to deans(or simillar) the tamiya plugs will just melt.

pair of turnigy 2s 5000mah$55

imax b6 charger$50

pair of LVA's$10-15

And for even more power, you could swap out the twin titan 550 motors for a single titan 775 motor($40)
Old 09-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Minnreefer

Thanks again guys, I will probably start with a couple of low voltage alarms, I am a little worried that if my boys drive it, they won't hear, but I will figure something out.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Minnreefer

Do you guys know if the old esc pulls power from the batteries equally? and or would anything work with just one battery? I am thinking about buying one lvc and hoping that the esc pulls rather equal and when it looses one battery it will either totally die, or basically die, thus needing to recharge both batteries. Am I on to something or on something.

Thanks again.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:00 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

totally die, or basically die
it is not good to run the lipo batteries that low. you will want to stop as soon as the alarm goes off. And a few tenths of a volt too low on one cell could permanently damage it.