Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

rc8be gearing cheater

Old 09-26-2011, 04:33 PM
chase1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc8be gearing cheater

at last, my new rc8be is finally in roller form. still waiting on the motor and esc. does anyone out there with one, running the mamba monster 2200 system, know the tallest gearing you can run on 4swith out overheating on a track. just trying to avoid ordering 10 different gears to figure this out. thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90403.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	1666660  
Old 09-26-2011, 09:51 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: rc8be gearing cheater

Start with a 13t and a 14t pinion, but the problem is you have to experiment wtih gearing. There is no "right" answer when you're playing with gearing; something that ThunderbirdJunkie runs at the track that comes off the track at 110* might run 220 for you during bashing.

Start at 13 and 14, and go from there. Check temps every 2 minutes during your first runs.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running 15t on the same 2200kv system in a mugen truggy (more weight and slightly bigger wheels) on 6S and getting half an hour before needing to cool (at 160F). It's a very strong system. I would say in a buggy on 4S, you could start at 16t and probably have quite a bit of room for movement. When I get an e-buggy (which I will soon), I'll probably run 17t.

Really, heat on 4s with that system is not something that you will have to worry about a lot, at least not with logical gearing. I would say focus on what gearing is best for the track and worry about heat later. For example, I don't think you'll have any major heat issues on 17t, but if your track is quite technical, it may not give you the desired punch out of the corners.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are too many variables to just name a pinion size. For starters, we don't know what size spur you're running, my old rc8 came with 44t, 46t, and 50t in the box. Your best bet is to use a gearing calculator, plug in your information and find a setup for right around 40mph. This is a good starting point for all but the biggest and smallest tracks speed wise and it also should yield safe temps under most driving conditions.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:15 PM
chase1

the car came with a 15 and i ordered a 17, 19, and 21 to play with. will just have to bust out the heat gun and see what happens at the track sunday. nothin like a good old test and tune day with a new car. THANKS GUYS