Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

SC10 won't turn on

Old 10-07-2011, 06:56 PM
cirec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC10 won't turn on

I plugged in the battery, checked for broken wires or plugs, and after I turned the switch on nothing turns on. Before this problem occurred, when I pressed the throttle the truck doesn't move for a while or it moves slowly and then it picks up speed. This with a Castle Sidewinder SCT combo.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:44 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: SC10 won't turn on

So you get absolutely no response or lights from the RX or ESC? If that's the case then the ESC is probably shot (since it provides power to the receiver through the BEC) If the ESC lights up but the RX doesn't work, then it could be the RX. Have you verified that the battery is putting out a voltage?
Old 10-07-2011, 08:06 PM
cirec

No response or lights. The battery is charged but how do I check if the battery is putting out a voltage? I've had this combo for less then a year but I don't have the receipt so how will they know?
Old 10-07-2011, 08:41 PM
gelbschnee

if your battery is charged,
and your connections to your esc are assured,
and you turn on the esc, and get nothing,
the problem is with your esc (or with the switch for the esc)

enjoy

use a voltage meter to check your battery.

if you are using a lipo, you should have 4.2 volts per cell

if you are using a nimh, you should have 1.2 volts per cell

I believe i am correct or close with these values can anyone validate?
Old 10-07-2011, 10:14 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Absolute minimum for a LiPo battery is 3v/cell, max is 4.2v/cell.

Chances are good your switch is just janky. Switches suck, so just cut it off and solder the two leads that go to the switch together and put some heat shrink around it. If that solves your problem, great. If not, call Castle.
Old 10-08-2011, 07:31 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Check the easiest fix first. The battery/ESC plug. For example, I run Deans connectors. Yesterday I finished a full tear-down and rebuild of mine, running the Castle MMP SCTE ESC, and once I put my freshly charged/balanced battery in and hooked it up, nothing happened. I took the battery connector and moved it, wiggled it a bit, and sure4 enough the truck turned on. Removed the connector on the ESC, soldered on a new one and it was good to go, right back to pizza cutter tires and endurance wheelies
Old 10-08-2011, 09:30 AM
kaycerc

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

Check the easiest fix first. The battery/ESC plug. For example, I run Deans connectors. Yesterday I finished a full tear-down and rebuild of mine, running the Castle MMP SCTE ESC, and once I put my freshly charged/balanced battery in and hooked it up, nothing happened. I took the battery connector and moved it, wiggled it a bit, and sure4 enough the truck turned on. Removed the connector on the ESC, soldered on a new one and it was good to go, right back to pizza cutter tires and endurance wheelies
+1
Oftentimes diagnosing a problem takes a little more than just checking wires and plugs. Eliminating one component at a time is the only way to find an answer.
But driving it, when it has an obvious problem (like the OP did), makes me wonder if the ignored a problem for far too long. Never good.