Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone ever try this?

I took 2 years of drafting in high school and Ihave a little experience in CAD; Iwas thinking about designing some texas edition rims for my "silverado" rc truck. I'm pretty sure you can get these kind of designs printed on a website like this. What do you guys think? Ever make anything custom for your "ride"?
    www.kraftwurx.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Anyone ever try this?

I was a senior 3D CAD designer for a while. I tried to get some companies to rp some stuff I made, and the prices they all wanted weren't worth it at all, and other companies told me that they wouldn't flat out do it at all unless I ordered a 2,000 minimum piece order.

Your best bet is to take your 3D CAD design, export it into an IGES format file for a CNC to use, and shop around the local machine shops, and see if it's cost-effective enough for them to make a one-off part for you.

Good luck!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not sure if that's entirely true, I did a little bit of research. It sounds like you can get your design, depending on the size, printed for under 30 bucks!
    www.kraftwurx.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well if you are doing 3d printing know that the end products are usually fragile, and will not take too much abuse though(from my experiences).
    So unless you are going to use it to make a mold to cast a part I wouldn't bother using that method
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some of the prints definitely can be fragile, but you can print from almost any material though. You can print from titanium if you want!It'd just be a little more pricey
    www.kraftwurx.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: cwaldo39

I'm not sure if that's entirely true, I did a little bit of research. It sounds like you can get your design, depending on the size, printed for under 30 bucks!
    I personally would never install a printed part on any of my rc cars.

I would rather take my file to a machine shop, and let them know what material I need, or just provide them the material.