Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Anyone ever try this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 08:25 AM
cwaldo39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever try this?

I took 2 years of drafting in high school and Ihave a little experience in CAD; Iwas thinking about designing some texas edition rims for my "silverado" rc truck. I'm pretty sure you can get these kind of designs printed on a website like this. What do you guys think? Ever make anything custom for your "ride"?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:46 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

Default RE: Anyone ever try this?

I was a senior 3D CAD designer for a while. I tried to get some companies to rp some stuff I made, and the prices they all wanted weren't worth it at all, and other companies told me that they wouldn't flat out do it at all unless I ordered a 2,000 minimum piece order.

Your best bet is to take your 3D CAD design, export it into an IGES format file for a CNC to use, and shop around the local machine shops, and see if it's cost-effective enough for them to make a one-off part for you.

Good luck!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 AM
cwaldo39

I'm not sure if that's entirely true, I did a little bit of research. It sounds like you can get your design, depending on the size, printed for under 30 bucks!
Old 10-25-2011, 09:04 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if you are doing 3d printing know that the end products are usually fragile, and will not take too much abuse though(from my experiences).
So unless you are going to use it to make a mold to cast a part I wouldn't bother using that method
Old 10-25-2011, 09:13 AM
cwaldo39

Some of the prints definitely can be fragile, but you can print from almost any material though. You can print from titanium if you want!It'd just be a little more pricey
Old 10-25-2011, 10:16 AM
dragnse7en
Banned

ORIGINAL: cwaldo39

I'm not sure if that's entirely true, I did a little bit of research. It sounds like you can get your design, depending on the size, printed for under 30 bucks!
I personally would never install a printed part on any of my rc cars.

I would rather take my file to a machine shop, and let them know what material I need, or just provide them the material.