Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more
Reload this Page >

How many are interested in Brushless RC Motors over Brush Motors?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 12:05 PM
kn7671

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many are interested in Brushless RC Motors over Brush Motors?

I have been reading a little about them, does anyone have first hand comparison experience between the two?
Old 08-22-2003, 02:05 PM
Wookie
My Feedback: (5)

I've already made the switch.

I've had my Novak Super Sport system for about a month now, and have no desire to go back to a brushed system.

Never having to clean a comm, true a comm, replace a brush or spring, being able to run battery packs back to back with out letting the motor cool down (my BL system runs much cooler than my brushed system did) all while having good speed and longer run times.

The Novak isn't the fastest BL system out there, but it is one of the least expensive and is readily available.

Overall speed is comparable to a 10 turn double wind brushed motor. I get realistic top speeds in the mid 30's with my Novak (I'd say around 34-35 mph) in my B3.

Throttle control is excellent with very minimal cogging (only happens when by car is coasting back-wards, after stopping then taking off, other than that it doesn't cogg).

Overall run times are 15% - 20% longer than a comparable brushed set up. On the track we average about 8.5 minutes of constant run time, before severe dumping of the batteries with cheap 2400 packs. With a good 3300 pack you should be able to get 10+ minutes before severe dumping of a pack (I'll know in the next week as I have some matched GP3300 cells that should be here today).

Overall, I have the Novak BL system as do three of my buddies and another has a Hacker system. All of us are very happy with our systems and have no desire to go back to a brushed set up.

They are a little more expensive, but to use well worth it.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:15 PM
Jackstraw
My Feedback: (1)

Wookie - Are you doing any racing with the brushless? If so how are they handeling that as far as classes? Anyone else running brushless have any experience with this?
Old 08-22-2003, 02:16 PM
Shadow102

from what i have read brushless systems are amazing and very fast. Also the fact that alot of companys are coming out with them the prices are going down fast. and if you think about it about a year or two ago if you bought the top esc with a 10turn motor it would cost you as much as a brushless setup
Old 08-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Wookie

Jackstraw,

I haven't done any sanctioned racing with the Brushless. The only public track with in 1.5 hours of my house closed down a month ago, so now I run on some private tracks with buddies of mine. The tracks we run on are very fast tracks and are not super technical.

We have two seperate tracks right now and everybody that runs on them for the most part has Brushless set ups.

Before everybody I know made the switch to BL systems, you could tell that those with a BL system had an advantage over the brushed system. On tight tracks, I can see a BL system having a good advantage as they have a lot of torque and are very quick motors.

I'd like to do some club races but getting there on time is difficult, maybe at some point in the future. It's an indoor track so maybe this fall/winter.