Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help Traxxas Stampede XL-1

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 01:23 PM
ralph289

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Traxxas Stampede XL-1

Hi, i picked up a great looking and running old Traxxas Stampede for $10 at a yard sale. It is stock XL-1 ESC (junk I hear) with stock 20t motor. Don't want to put a lot of money in it just play around with it. Need some suggestions on ESC's motors's and gearing I do also have a couple of 2s 6000mah 25-50c Discharge 7.4v Lipo batteiers I can use also a couple of 6 cell 7.4v 4800 Ni-hi.
Any suggestions
Thanks
Old 11-09-2011, 02:07 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Help Traxxas Stampede XL-1

pick up either a blue xl-5 if you want to stay brushed can usually find them used for $20-30
or a 3000kv or so 35A Hobby wing brushless setup might work it should be mild enough on the plastic gears to not destroy them
Old 11-09-2011, 02:18 PM
ralph289

Ok that's a start for ideas.
THANKS
Old 11-09-2011, 03:00 PM
ralph289

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

pick up either a blue xl-5 if you want to stay brushed can usually find them used for $20-30
or a 3000kv or so 35A Hobby wing brushless setup might work it should be mild enough on the plastic gears to not destroy them
Wow, I thought you made a typo with Hobby Wing there really is a place called that, are the better then Hobby King ???
Old 11-09-2011, 03:21 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: ralph289

Wow, I thought you made a typo with Hobby Wing there really is a place called that, are the better then Hobby King ???
hobby wing is the brand. look up ezrun 35amp.
you can get them on www.hobbypartz.com for a fair price.

i wouldnt put a BL system on a xl-1 tho. a young friend of mine just blew the diff gears with a titan brushed motor and a 6cell pack.

the stinger motor is OK. or pick up a titan(cheap) and if you can find the blue xl-5 that has built in low voltage detection.

if you wanted to go brushless, you can upgrade the tranny gears. but the xl-1 also has smaller bushings and hubs that will wear out fast if you up the speed.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 PM
ralph289

So some thing like a XL-5 ESC with (LVD) and Traxxas Titan 550 Motor 12T would do ok if I take it easy on it ?
Any ideas on gearing ??
THANKS
Old 11-09-2011, 06:23 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeh, that would be a fine combo. shouldnt cost to much if you can find them used.

with the titan 550 12t motor, you would just use stock gearing. 18-20t pinion with stock spur...depending if you want more low end or top speed.

i recently got myself a EA speed control that has LVC and can handle a 17t motor for $25 shipped. so cheap LVC brushed speed controls are out there.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:01 PM
thehuntingterminator

U can upgrade to the modern 11 mm hubs tho and steel gears so that's not that big of deal.
ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

hobby wing is the brand. look up ezrun 35amp.
you can get them on www.hobbypartz.com for a fair price.

i wouldnt put a BL system on a xl-1 tho. a young friend of mine just blew the diff gears with a titan brushed motor and a 6cell pack.

the stinger motor is OK. or pick up a titan(cheap) and if you can find the blue xl-5 that has built in low voltage detection.

if you wanted to go brushless, you can upgrade the tranny gears. but the xl-1 also has smaller bushings and hubs that will wear out fast if you up the speed.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:44 PM
xerxes

So some thing like a XL-5 ESC with (LVD) and Traxxas Titan 550 Motor 12T would do ok if I take it easy on it ?
Any ideas on gearing ??
THANKS
fyi. da titan 21t is better den da titan 12t
Old 11-12-2011, 06:01 AM
thehuntingterminator

yes i agree. whatever you do do not buy the Titan 12t. biggest POS ever in the RC world. will only last you maybe 5 battery packs before it blows. i would get either a Venom Fireball 17tx2 if your cheap, or a better rebuildable brushed motor if not BL. i would highly recommend BL, that HW 35A 3000KV combo.
ORIGINAL: xerxes

Any ideas on gearing ??
THANKS
Old 11-12-2011, 07:43 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: thehuntingterminator

yes i agree. whatever you do do not buy the Titan 12t. biggest POS ever in the RC world. will only last you maybe 5 battery packs before it blows. i would get either a Venom Fireball 17tx2 if your cheap, or a better rebuildable brushed motor if not BL. i would highly recommend BL, that HW 35A 3000KV combo.

Any ideas on gearing ??
THANKS
the venom fireball from my experiences lasts less time than the 12t titan 550 lol
HPI 20t saturn should work fine though. I have a 15t, 27t, and 35t that worked with no issues
Old 11-12-2011, 04:31 PM
thehuntingterminator

huh, just different experiences though. mine has been much better than the Titan.

Any ideas on gearing ??
THANKS
the venom fireball from my experiences lasts less time than the 12t titan 550 lol
HPI 20t saturn should work fine though. I have a 15t, 27t, and 35t that worked with no issues
Old 11-12-2011, 05:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

huh, just different experiences though. mine has been much better than the Titan.

Any ideas on gearing ??
THANKS
I'd say you are in the extreme minority with that one
Old 11-12-2011, 05:34 PM
thehuntingterminator

maybe so, but then again i have had mostly good things to say about Venom which is part of the minority. i've had a 17t double wind Venom Fireball which has been great to me for the most part, a 50t Fireball that wore out one of the two brushes after many slightly over-geared runs (but still works, just isn't the smoothest thing), and a Venom 4200mah 7 cell which still works to this day after having it for about 8 months and has always held close to its rated capacity at least.

Any ideas on gearing ??
THANKS
I'd say you are in the extreme minority with that one
Old 11-12-2011, 05:41 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

maybe so, but then again i have had mostly good things to say about Venom which is part of the minority. i've had a 17t double wind Venom Fireball which has been great to me for the most part, a 50t Fireball that wore out one of the two brushes after many slightly over-geared runs (but still works, just isn't the smoothest thing), and a Venom 4200mah 7 cell which still works to this day after having it for about 8 months and has always held close to its rated capacity at least.

Wow my venom battery held around 70% of the rated capacity at the most (stopped working soon after)
21 dT fireball burnt out in a friggin Brama 10b believe it or not in 1 run (if you count 3 minutes as a run when 80% of the battery was left)
Had one of their pre-painted RC10 bodies that cracked in half after 1 flip (for the record I replaced it with a HPI body that has been on the RC since, and cracked it up way worst with only scratches)
even their body decals won't stay on lol

Can kinda see why I don't trust anything they make
Old 11-12-2011, 05:44 PM
thehuntingterminator

haha i dont blame you! i seem to have pretty dang good luck on everything i've bought so far in RC. the only thing i can think of is on of my lipos came un-soldered from the inside and i gotta take it somewhere to get it fixed.

Wow my venom battery held around 70% of the rated capacity at the most (stopped working soon after)
21 dT fireball burnt out in a friggin Brama 10b believe it or not in 1 run (if you count 3 minutes as a run when 80% of the battery was left)
Had one of their pre-painted RC10 bodies that cracked in half after 1 flip (for the record I replaced it with a HPI body that has been on the RC since, and cracked it up way worst with only scratches)
even their body decals won't stay on lol

Can kinda see why I don't trust anything they make
Old 11-12-2011, 06:15 PM
xerxes

heers sumtn weird. my 1 venom 20c 4000 mah lipo hrdcase outlasted bolth of my venom 30c 5000 lipos dat cost about 28$ more per pack [&:]

bolth da packs dat faild put out 0.0v but r still haf charged. 4mm banana terminals.

20c 4000 is hardwired & still goin hard. run time, capacity, evrythn.