Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:28 AM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

ORIGINAL: egbasher

Have you tried making a pin out of music wire. It's harder than the tension pins dtx uses. It's actually harder than the axles-they wear out before the music wire. Haven't had one break since EXT2Rob discovered the trick You can get it at your LHS. It's cheap. A couple of bucks buys you enough for 50 pins. Not sure what size wire. Bring an axle with you and size it. That solved our drive pins shearing problem.
ORIGINAL: DieHard1207

Yeah, I'm just running it like normal, and then I see a jump. So I give it a little throttle to hit the jump, and it just gives and barely rolls over the jump. And then I can't accelerate, unless I hold in the throttle for a minute. So I take the wheel off, and find that it's sheared clear off. Yes, Chris is a real jerk.[img][/img]

Hey cumquat, whens the last time you ran your evader?

Are you shearing them on your evader?

Chris sounds like the kind of employee bosses love to fire. What a jerk.

Good for you! I went into the hobby shop today (Cobblestone Crafts and Hobbies) because I wanted to get a lipo for my Losi Micro Brushless SCT. It's running a 4.8v 220mah and it dies after about 10 minutes. So from what I've heard, brushless motors don't drain the power out of lipos like they do to NiMhs, right? So after 15min of waiting around for service (Busy for Christmas, I guess[:@]), I finally got a 2S on order. I was just filling out the form when mom dragged me out because she needed to pick up my sisters.[:@] So just before she pulled me out, I handed my form to Rose (Bob's wife) and told her that I'd be back to finish filling it out.

After I got back, I finished filling it out and then I asked Chris (Only employee available) about how I'm shearing off wheel pins. (Every run, one shears) He tried looking it up, and thought that I meant hinge pins. So I had to straighten him out. Finally, he was so confused, he justed asked me to get the part number and call it in over the phone.[] Well, then I said, you have a book of manuals right over there that would have the part number in it. But he just completely ignores me and tells me again, ''Get the part number please''.[:@] So at that point I just said fine and left. Once I got home, I looked it up, and called it in like he asked. Turns out, theres really nothing else I can do.[:@][:@][:@] So I think I'll just make my own out of drill bits. But if that doesn't work well, I still have the pins on order just in case. The new pins might be stronger, because I had the original pins in when they sheared off. And the ones I tried to replace to old ones with were older and they sheared off. So I don't know.[&:] Guess I'll try the drill bits first.

the axel pins are 1.6mm x10mm which works out to be about 1/16th wire and a bit more than 3/8th of an inch long if that helps

the lug
Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 AM
cumquat

Yeah, I'm just running it like normal, and then I see a jump. So I give it a little throttle to hit the jump, and it just gives and barely rolls over the jump. And then I can't accelerate, unless I hold in the throttle for a minute. So I take the wheel off, and find that it's sheared clear off. Yes, Chris is a real jerk.[img][/img]

Hey cumquat, whens the last time you ran your evader?

Are you shearing them on your evader?

Chris sounds like the kind of employee bosses love to fire. What a jerk.

Good for you! I went into the hobby shop today (Cobblestone Crafts and Hobbies) because I wanted to get a lipo for my Losi Micro Brushless SCT. It's running a 4.8v 220mah and it dies after about 10 minutes. So from what I've heard, brushless motors don't drain the power out of lipos like they do to NiMhs, right? So after 15min of waiting around for service (Busy for Christmas, I guess[:@]), I finally got a 2S on order. I was just filling out the form when mom dragged me out because she needed to pick up my sisters.[:@] So just before she pulled me out, I handed my form to Rose (Bob's wife) and told her that I'd be back to finish filling it out.

After I got back, I finished filling it out and then I asked Chris (Only employee available) about how I'm shearing off wheel pins. (Every run, one shears) He tried looking it up, and thought that I meant hinge pins. So I had to straighten him out. Finally, he was so confused, he justed asked me to get the part number and call it in over the phone.[] Well, then I said, you have a book of manuals right over there that would have the part number in it. But he just completely ignores me and tells me again, ''Get the part number please''.[:@] So at that point I just said fine and left. Once I got home, I looked it up, and called it in like he asked. Turns out, theres really nothing else I can do.[:@][:@][:@] So I think I'll just make my own out of drill bits. But if that doesn't work well, I still have the pins on order just in case. The new pins might be stronger, because I had the original pins in when they sheared off. And the ones I tried to replace to old ones with were older and they sheared off. So I don't know.[&:] Guess I'll try the drill bits first.

September or October... 2011. puffed my lipo and when i got a new one, i got a new kit too. it'll need a new gearbox but i'd want a new one any way. i'm missing a few other things but i can make that stuff.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:08 AM
cumquat

Fifty yards would be awesome but I don't have the room. Gotta slow down for the next turn!
ORIGINAL: cumquat

Yup, EXT2Rob, I agree. A great day of bashing. I'd say we were lucky we didn't short anything out considering how wet it was. I finally got the original EXT2 dialed in. What a difference the right pinion size makes. I think I have found the sweet spot. That car has never perfomed like it did yesterday. I'm sure the track conditions had something to do with it, but what fun. 40C batteries are the way to go. Fifty foot wheelies and the diffs held. Gotta love evaders.
you know what's more fun than 50 foot wheelies? 50 yard wheelies that's on a plastic diff too! i really need to get one running again... this time with the new top shaft and diff.
i did it in the street in front of my house. i should try to reach 100[>:]
Old 12-09-2012, 06:10 PM
DieHarder

Yo cumquat, what rcs do you have runnin?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:59 PM
cumquat

tamiya df02. it needs a new motor (it's got a sensored motor and a sensorless esc. they dont play well at low speeds so take off sucks) but it runs. havent driven in about 2 months though...
Old 12-10-2012, 09:00 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey DieHard, here is what you need to get to eliminate your drive-pin shearing:

From one of my previous posts:
As for other "weak points" on the Evader, in my experience, I found that I was breaking drive pins. The stock roller pins that go in the rear axles and drive the rear wheels would fail on me after only a few battery packs.  The guy at the LHS suggested I get some "music wire" and cut pieces to size.  This is just thin metal rod, 0.062in thickness, stock #504.  Just a couple bucks for three 30in lengths, enough to keep you in drive pins for LIFE.  Similarly, there are drive pins in the DIFF that hold the drive cups in place and that connects them to the bevel gears inside the diff.  I kept breaking those too.  Again, music wire, at a smaller 0.047in,(stock #502) fixed that problem. The stuff is made by K&S Precision Metals Chicago Illinois.

Ask your LHS if they have this stuff, or if they can get it, or have something else like it.  They fit a tad loosely, so you need to use a little loctite to keep them from falling out when you remove the wheel, but you'll loose them before you break them, trust me.  Heck of a lot cheaper than buying a pack of those roller pins, too.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:52 PM
DieHarder

Well, so far, I've got a set of drive pins made from drill bits. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet due to it snowing in the morning and then melting leaving mud all over. I'd run the evader, but I don't feel like cleaning it off.

Today I finally got my Snowmobile Safety Permit which allows me to ride the trails by myself. I actually got 100% on my test! I don't think anyone else did that. We've got a '94 Polaris Indy 500 that I've rode around the yard and now I finally get to run it on the wide open trails!! Yahoo!!![X(] Can't wait...Why does it take so long to snow!!??!! 
Old 12-11-2012, 08:00 AM
EXT2Rob

Congrats on getting your snow-mobile permit.  Sounds like fun.

Hmmm...making drive pins out of drill bits?  I'd bet they'd never wear out, either. But I wonder if they'd be too brittle?
Have you run those much?  Guess they'd do ok in a pinch.  But for the money, that music wire can't be beat.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:18 PM
DieHarder

Ya, I know what ya mean. Just took it out for a run, and I got 4 feet, and the left axle started slipping.[:@] I don't know if I sheared it off, or it wrecked the wheel, or maybe I cut the drill bit pins too short. I don't know. I'm just too lazy and it's too wet for me to take it apart and find out right now. I guess I'll take it apart when it drys off. I'm sick of it being so muddy outside with these morning snows and then later the sun comes out and melts it all making puddles of crap all over.[:@] If it's gonna snow, SNOW!!! But if it isn't, just let everything be DRY!!!! I hate this half-snow junk.[:@][:@][:@]

Sorry if I sound angery and that I have negative opinions lately, I'm just mad because I spent 1/2 hour of struggling time perfecting those stupid make-shift pins and they are falty right from the start. I hope that everyone is not baffled by what I said and this ends up being the last post here for the next week. I'm just having one of those bad (awful, retarded, crappy, most hated) days.[]
Old 12-11-2012, 05:55 PM
rclugnut10

Ya, I know what ya mean. Just took it out for a run, and I got 4 feet, and the left axle started slipping.[:@] I don't know if I sheared it off, or it wrecked the wheel, or maybe I cut the drill bit pins too short. I don't know. I'm just too lazy and it's too wet for me to take it apart and find out right now. I guess I'll take it apart when it drys off. I'm sick of it being so muddy outside with these morning snows and then later the sun comes out and melts it all making puddles of crap all over.[:@] If it's gonna snow, SNOW!!! But if it isn't, just let everything be DRY!!!! I hate this half-snow junk.[:@][:@][:@]

Sorry if I sound angery and that I have negative opinions lately, I'm just mad because I spent 1/2 hour of struggling time perfecting those stupid make-shift pins and they are falty right from the start. I hope that everyone is not baffled by what I said and this ends up being the last post here for the next week. I'm just having one of those bad (awful, retarded, crappy, most hated) days.[]
You may want to pull the wheels at least if it's wet, they like to hold water right up in by the bearings which can get things nice and rusty which is never fun... i haven't had many issues with the drive pins shearing but i'm also running ST cvd's so that may have an effect on things...

you can always cut them too long and notch out the wheel by either just pressing the pins on using the nut then back them off a little so you're not pinching your bearings or just using an exacto to cut the notch longer... i've done this with body clips with success minus them falling out...

the lug
Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 AM
EXT2Rob

I've been running those CVDs on my cars too. I like them except when the axle breaks off right at the drive pin, like it did yesterday...... And the CV pin breaks, so it needs replacing with music wire. I'm beginning to wonder if they're worth the price an I should just stick with cheap dogbones.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:25 AM
rclugnut10

Well the ST's actually they're the OLDer nitro ST axels are different form the EXT units they're a big bigger in the driveshaft area which, the issue i have is them coming apart at the CV axel more than anything but thats rare....

the lug
Old 12-12-2012, 03:18 PM
jk47
My Feedback: (2)

Mildly off topic here,

BUT I wanna revive my ride. I've got the original St, I've had it since it came out lol, but I have a project in mind. After Christmas I'll have the funds and parts to assemble and mount a brushless evader transmission on with 32p slash spur, and a tacon 2800kv motor. I'll also put 17mm hexes on it and extend it to short course wheelbase. I know this has all been done before but my question to you all is has anyone done all of that to their truck before and what will I break the most with that setup, right now I have trouble with the chassis brace, but now I run the rubbery brushless brace instead of the graphite one so no problems there. So why tacon 2800? Because I'm going to be running a 50t spur and prolly a 17t pinion which Is steep by 1/10 standards, and that motor is just laying around soo might as well put it to use. I'll only be running 2s so hopefully that in conjunction with the extension will keep it from back flipping whenever I look at the the throttle. If its too much I have a velineon motor I'll put in it. I'm just not fond of the temps that thing brings. So when I do all this, what cv's or dog bones have held up the best. I want to drive this offload mostly and with 1/8 buggy tires I don't think I'll be short of grip so those axels are under a decent load... Your thoughts???? Am I nuts to dump this much into a 9 year old evader?
Old 12-12-2012, 03:42 PM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: jk47

Mildly off topic here,

BUT I wanna revive my ride. I've got the original St, I've had it since it came out lol, but I have a project in mind. After Christmas I'll have the funds and parts to assemble and mount a brushless evader transmission on with 32p slash spur, and a tacon 2800kv motor. I'll also put 17mm hexes on it and extend it to short course wheelbase. I know this has all been done before but my question to you all is has anyone done all of that to their truck before and what will I break the most with that setup, right now I have trouble with the chassis brace, but now I run the rubbery brushless brace instead of the graphite one so no problems there. So why tacon 2800? Because I'm going to be running a 50t spur and prolly a 17t pinion which Is steep by 1/10 standards, and that motor is just laying around soo might as well put it to use. I'll only be running 2s so hopefully that in conjunction with the extension will keep it from back flipping whenever I look at the the throttle. If its too much I have a velineon motor I'll put in it. I'm just not fond of the temps that thing brings. So when I do all this, what cv's or dog bones have held up the best. I want to drive this offload mostly and with 1/8 buggy tires I don't think I'll be short of grip so those axels are under a decent load... Your thoughts???? Am I nuts to dump this much into a 9 year old evader?

I think not i have the old ST pro that got discontinued in 06 and i still run it hard, i've run 1/8th scale truck tires on the nitro evader/evader st pro axels

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDSY9&P=7

and they've held up decently to the power the A arms not so much but i was running truck tires if you run buggy tires you should be fine...

what 17mm hexes are you going to be running i've only gotten 14mm with the axels...

the lug
Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 PM
jk47

Thats hood news Lug. The STRC set for the sc10 there is only minor modification for the rears to fit.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:04 PM
jk47

Rclug, arn't the out drives smaller on the ext, ext2 and brushless diffs? Or is that just the ext? If they are the stock shafts won't work. []
Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 PM
DieHarder

Hi. um...gee....a.....You may have trouble running CV shafts with the Evader Brushless tranny. I thought it would work until I got the parts and found that the CV shafts don't fit in the outdrives of the Evader Brushless diff. I had to get the Evader Brushless dogbones which had smaller balls on the ends. Those worked. But with new dogbones, I needed new axles (Evader Brushless) and with new axles, requires 4mm wheel nuts. Took me 7 months to do what you are going to do. But it mainly took that long waiting for parts. After waiting for parts for 3 months, I finally started getting parts off ebay which came alot faster. Now I have a full bulletproof tranny, am running 2S and love it all the way!But since you already have the parts, you'll be able to get it going in way less time than it took me!lolol

Mildly off topic here,

Old 12-12-2012, 05:22 PM
DieHarder

Yes, just what I said. (you posted while I was typing.) But yeah, the balls on the ends of the dogbones are too big for the Evader Brushless tranny. The CV shafts only work on the ST diff outdrives.I wish I could run CVs.

Rclug, arn't the out drives smaller on the ext, ext2 and brushless diffs? Or is that just the ext? If they are the stock shafts won't work.[]
Old 12-12-2012, 05:26 PM
jk47

Yep it's gunna take me till like January to finish, basically because all these parts I ordered for myself for Christmas and the family obstinately refuses to let me open prematurely. And now I've got to make an additional order haha []. That's sweet Diehard how do you like your? What other mods have you done besides the tranny have you done?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:18 PM
DieHarder

This is everything I've done to it.
-Metal Differential
-Evader EXT2 Dogbone Axles
-Metal Idler Gear
-Evader Brushless Body
-Extended Front Bumper
-Extended Rear Chassis Plate
-Wheelie Bar
-180oz Torque Steering Servo
-Dirt Hawgs II Rear Tires
-Evader EXT2 Wheels
-Evader Brushless Gearbox
-23T 48P Pinion Gear
-Traxxas Velenion 3500kv Sensorless Brushless Motor
-Taxxas Velenion 3S 200A Brushless ESC
-Extra Stickers Added To Body

That's about it. Yeah, I know. It's crazy to do that much hoppin up on an Evader ST which is such an old model. But I enjoy it. I might put in a set of new Sealed bearings this winter if the extra money comes up. Funny thing is though, is I did all that hopping up in only the past 10 months. Guess that's when my interests sprung, and I researched day and night (literally) for the past 10 months trying to learn as much as I can about the hobby. I know of just about every brand and most of the models. (All of the Duratrax, AE, Axial, Losi, HPI, Traxxas, etc.) I have had a few races with my friend's Rustler, but on 2S and the bulletproof tranny, I killed him doing 55mph down his street! And I was only running a 27T pinion!!! Lol. I guess I'm quite good with mechanics in a garage, and can make some of my parts. But the what I really want to do is learn everything about this hobby. I started at age 5 getting into rcs, and have loved them for the past 8yrs. I just love this hobby!!! But I will admit,..It isn't cheap. (Ok, maybe some AE parts, but that's about it.)
Old 12-12-2012, 07:41 PM
rclugnut10

Rclug, arn't the out drives smaller on the ext, ext2 and brushless diffs? Or is that just the ext? If they are the stock shafts won't work. []
If you're running the old school ST with a ball diff, then those axels will fit (the ones i linked). If you have the ext tranny

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVWC6&P=ML

those should fit...

the lug
Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 PM
DieHarder

urrrg!!!No one ever told me about those! LOL, Kinda wish I was running those instead of having to deal with those stupid springs. They creak every time you push the back end of the car down. It sounds awful! I've tried oiling them, it just drys up after a few days.
ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

Rclug, arn't the out drives smaller on the ext, ext2 and brushless diffs? Or is that just the ext? If they are the stock shafts won't work.[]
If you're running the old school ST with a ball diff, then those axels will fit (the ones i linked). If you have the ext tranny

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVWC6&P=ML

those should fit...

the lug
Old 12-12-2012, 09:18 PM
jk47

Currently I'm running the ball diff (with the b2 gear) but come January I'm going to be building a brushless tyranny with an ext case and evader brushless top shaft, idler, and diff, which will require me to use the ones in the link you provided. I think we are on the same page now... I'm not the best at explaining things... Now my next question will those ext shafts fit in the aluminum hub carriers with 5x11 bearings or do they need the ext hubs? Aren't ext shafts like 4.8mm diameter? 

Very cool diehard I too started with my evader 9 years ago, and its been an epic journey since then. Now my favorite part of the hobby is tuning and testing! I love to see how my trucks,and 1/8 buggy react to different set ups. I'm a total tinkerer! I'm hoping my evader will turn into something quite interesting in the end. I'll keep you posted And perhaps start a build thread next month. What else do you guys think about my plans how overkill is that  taconite motor going to be? With my two inch wheelbase extension will I be able to keep it on its wheels? WillI get a reasonable turning radius? 
Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 AM
rclugnut10

Currently I'm running the ball diff (with the b2 gear) but come January I'm going to be building a brushless tyranny with an ext case and evader brushless top shaft, idler, and diff, which will require me to use the ones in the link you provided. I think we are on the same page now... I'm not the best at explaining things... Now my next question will those ext shafts fit in the aluminum hub carriers with 5x11 bearings or do they need the ext hubs? Aren't ext shafts like 4.8mm diameter?

Very cool diehard I too started with my evader 9 years ago, and its been an epic journey since then. Now my favorite part of the hobby is tuning and testing! I love to see how my trucks,and 1/8 buggy react to different set ups. I'm a total tinkerer! I'm hoping my evader will turn into something quite interesting in the end. I'll keep you posted And perhaps start a build thread next month. What else do you guys think about my plans how overkill is that taconite motor going to be? With my two inch wheelbase extension will I be able to keep it on its wheels? WillI get a reasonable turning radius?
You should be fine to run 5x11 carriers, just post up what you're running/how you're shimming them/if you need to drill out your carries/arms to get the pins to fit? the stock units use 5x10 bearings....

http://duratrax.com/downloads/index.html

useful for looking up official spec/pn's on all things dtx

and as far as going bl with the tranny, you may be better off buying a whole ext Bl if you can get a deal on one $225ish if is what i'd pay if i had the $ and sell off the extra stuff the parts to do the upgrade from the ST will run you about $75 if i remember right...

just thoughts... bedtimeee last finial tomorrow YYAAAYY

the lug
Old 12-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Crash7772

If your going to be running 2800kv on 2s then why not try the B2 diff with the metal EXT idle gear? I only had a couple test runs with this setup (due to colder weather I won't run it again till spring) but I'm running 5700kv on 2s and will be running 3s in the spring.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.