Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:39 AM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Maybe look into some of the HPI shells or converting one that is for an 1/8th scale rally car, that's where i'd start to my knowledge production bodies for 1/10th ST's don't come in the rally variety, also maybe something for the slash?

that'd be where i'd start looking

the lug
Old 03-05-2013, 10:44 AM
EXT2Rob

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you're looking for a rally type body. Does that imply that you want the wheels to be WITHIN the body's wheel wells? That might be tough to find, since the Evader chassis has long suspension arms. However, I put a Tamiya Subaru body on my Evader. I think it looks cool. But it certainly isn't true-to-scale.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60017.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1858366  
Old 03-05-2013, 10:55 AM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

So you're looking for a rally type body. Does that imply that you want the wheels to be WITHIN the body's wheel wells? That might be tough to find, since the Evader chassis has long suspension arms. However, I put a Tamiya Subaru body on my Evader. I think it looks cool. But it certainly isn't true-to-scale.
wish my 1:1 subaru looked like that....

the lug
Old 03-05-2013, 10:59 AM
rclugnut10

wish my 1:1 subaru looked like that....

the lug
Old 03-05-2013, 11:06 AM
EXT2Rob

HA!  I know, huh?  I've seen the full-size decals for the Subaru swoosh for sale.  My wife'd prolly kill me tho....
BTW, I just saw in Car & Driver that Subaru is FINALLY planning a return to WRC with their new Imprezza platform!!! 
Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 PM
cheech4

ORIGINAL: cumquat

Well guys, at long last (like I'm sure you've all been waiting with baited breath) (and what the hell does ''baited breath'' mean, anyway?)
here is a video of a couple laps around my ''backyard'' off-road RC track that EGbasher an I have been playing on. First day with new video camera, and first time with processing it with Windows Whatever.....so be kind.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imfnSQTIj48[/youtube]
cant have any gaps and cant use secured links.
Nice track, very jealous. I'd be out my yard all day if it looked like urs.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:01 PM
bossman2u

Thanks guys,
When I say scale, I mean scale looking, not going to try to win a concours or anything, I understand the tires will stick out but I`m cool with that (maybe the lower arms and tires from the duratrax VW might fix that?) I`ll try looking at some 1/8 bodies and see if theres something I like.
Thanks for the replies.
Bossman
Old 03-05-2013, 03:18 PM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: bossman2u

Thanks guys,
When I say scale, I mean scale looking, not going to try to win a concours or anything, I understand the tires will stick out but I`m cool with that (maybe the lower arms and tires from the duratrax VW might fix that?) I`ll try looking at some 1/8 bodies and see if theres something I like.
Thanks for the replies.
Bossman

Those will fit perfectly durtrax used to make a 1/10th buggy the evader BX, or EXB when they came out with the EXT, so yes the arms from the buggy will work just fine, you may want to confirm that the hubs won't need to be swapped out, also i believe the ext front shocks are the same lenght as the exb/VW rear shocks, something to consider when switching them out...

and nice to see you cheech hows it been?

the lug
Old 03-07-2013, 10:17 AM
egbasher

Still looks good EXT2Rob, especially considering all the abuse it's absorbed!

Old 03-07-2013, 09:17 PM
EXT2Rob

Thanks buddy!  Thanks to your nice camera work!! [8D] 

should be good track conditions for a race day!  Got a good rain last night.

Hey thanks Cheech. I know, I'm totally lucky to have such a cool place to play at my personal disposal.  I just glad I have a good buddy, EGbasher, to race with and share it with. Makes it that much more fun. 
Old 03-09-2013, 04:13 PM
egbasher

I'm lucky to have a great friend that enjoys RC as much as I do and has a *****in' backyard track. Awesome day yesterday. Eight battery packs each for around two hours of actual racing time and no major breakdowns.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:57 PM
EXT2Rob

Gee, did we finally fix everyone's issues with the Evader?  First time I've seen this thread fall off the front page in a looong time!
This thread may die...BUT MY EVADER WON'T!!
Old 03-21-2013, 04:11 PM
cumquat

it can go a month or 2 with out a post then someone hears a weird noise then there is 100 posts in 20 minutes. just how it goes.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:27 AM
DieHarder

Hey everybody!!!!!!! I'm back! Finally I now have electronics! I lost them for lent, and barely made it. I only missed 1 page of the this thread. I'll watch your video on your tracks soon. I gotta go do some stuff.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:23 PM
0RESET0

Hello everyone. This is my first post to the forum. I have been reading for a while now trying to answer a question for myself. I have a lightly used Evader EXT hat I bought a few years back, probably 2008 or so. I would like to upgrade it a bit, possibly go brushless and LiPO. Question is if the EXT2 Brushless would cost less than the parts to upgrade the EXT to brushless. I think it will be pretty close since just the ESC and motor, if I get the same one, is $129 while the whole car is $229. What do you guys think?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:34 AM
EXT2Rob

Yeah, kind of a tough choice in some respects. Your current EXT is a good platform, but it does need a couple upgrades when going brushless. Mainly, you'd need the Brushless model diff ($18), the brushless model front bumper ($3) and some Music Wire from your local Ace Hardware for wheel drive pins (1.57mm) and diff bevel gear/cup-retainer (1.19mm) ($3ea for a lifetime supply) and some good gear grease like TrakPower Waterproof Gear Grease ($4). You may also need a new steering servo cuz the OEM unit is pretty weak. Those can be had at HobbyPartz.com for $12-$15 for a metal gear digital servo like this one: http://www.hobbypartz.com/servo-mg946r.html.

As for the motor system, yeah that DTX Element system should be nice, and should be useable with the Castle-Link dongle ($25 at your LHS) for custom tuning of the ESC, but then, you're into the motor system for $150 at that point. For $85 you can get a great little HobbyWing EZrun system like this: http://www.hobbypartz.com/ezrun-35a-9t-3650-motor.html and it comes with a programming card. I have two of these systems in both my Evaders and they're great. On-road, the car will do almost 40mph, plenty fast. Off-road the car's a blast to drive. You do have to keep an eye on motor temps, depending on your gearing. I'm assuming you're running the stock gearing 88-tooth spur with a 20-tooth pinion. I've geared mine down a little, using a 19T pinion, and that keeps motor temps in a normal range. But DO get yourself an infrared temp gun. Gotta keep motor temps below 160F. BL motors can run normally up to 150F with no problems, but if you start getting over 160 and pushing 180 you run the risk of damaging the motor windings.

Oh and you'll want some decent tires. The stock ones don't give you much grip off-road. Too hard. I run ProLine Gladiator tires on RPM Slingshot wheels (for the Losi XXXT) on the rear and ProLine Dirt Hawg II's on the front. Wheels are $10/pr tires are ~$20/pr. And get some lead tape for balancing the wheels, it'll help keep strainfrom the wheel bearings. The rear bearings take a beating when spinning wheels at 10,000 rpm.

So you see, even with the needed upgrades, you can upgrade your EXT to Brushless spec for less $$ than buying a new BL one. And you get better tires! Good luck, let us know if you've got any more questions.

P.S. You didn't say anything about your radio system. For $25 at HobbyPartz, you can get a good spread-spectrum TX/RX (no crytals) by FlySky.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/fs-g2-24ghz-radio.html

Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM
rclugnut10

it's in stock here...

http://www.valuehobby.com/flysky-gt2.html

they mostly have air stuff if i remember right so you'd probally want to stick to hobby partz for a combo and such...

on the topic of upgrading vs buying new, if you buy new, you have a full roller to pull parts from and build up from both chassis's once i get a little bit of $ i'm planning on picking up an rtr BL and rebuilding my ST pro with that.

the lug
Old 03-27-2013, 01:10 PM
0RESET0

Thanks for the replies guys. It is a really tough decision that I just made tougher by buying two more EXTs off of a buddy for $50. I now have plenty of spare parts or four running EXTs. Maybe I will go the hobbywing route like EXT2Rob mentioned. too bad about the stock EXT2 tires, I really like the look of them. Are the stock EXT2 wheels crap too? I bought them the same time Ibought the tires.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:41 AM
cumquat

the stock tires arent completely useless, they work well on the street. the stock wheels are ok but there better out there. i would post links to some cheap'n'good tires and wheels but i broke my laptop so im using my ps3. no linking and it'll crash if there is 2 high demand pages open.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:56 AM
DieHarder

The stock wheels on the EXT are the black ones right? I know the EXT2 wheels are black. Those black wheels are tougher than rocks. I run Dirt Hawg II on all fours. Be sure to only run on dirt. those Dirt Hawg II run down fast on pavement. Mine are bald, I've run them only about 50 times. I need new tires already, and I'm still working on coming up with the money. I just got paid $25 for digging up the neighbors septic tank. The house is 150+ yrs, and the main pipe is cast iron. No cheap plastic PVC here.  He had roots stuck in it. He's 84yrs old, had 5 open heart surgeries, last year he had 75% of his main arteries clogged, and he is from the deep south. He's lived there 55yrs. I also have work at another neighbor this Saturday. I just got a raise to $7 an hour, so I should make about $30. I'm also saving for a work bench. Theres a metal one from Harbor Freight that $99, and I'm saving for that. I'm going to put it in my room, as I have a stupid make-shift desk as a work bench. And I crashed my MCX2, and need $25 worth of parts. So I'm dead in the water. I just ran out of money. [:@]
Old 03-28-2013, 05:59 AM
DieHarder

ORIGINAL: cumquat

the stock tires arent completely useless, they work well on the street. the stock wheels are ok but there better out there. i would post links to some cheap'n'good tires and wheels but i broke my laptop so im using my ps3. no linking and it'll crash if there is 2 high demand pages open.
Why do you keep breaking you laptop?!
Old 03-28-2013, 06:41 AM
cumquat

first one died of a virus, second one still technically works but the charge port broke off and this one made me mad. i plan to take the last 2 to a repair shop on monday. if all goes well, i should be able to use my old one and give the new one to my mom. they may not be able to fix the old one becaus it'll probably need a new mother board and the havent sold this model in a year or so.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:17 PM
0RESET0

The stock wheels on my EXT are plain white disks. The EXT2 wheels I got are black with spokes. I mainly use my truck for bashing so it spends some time on asphalt and pavement as well as gravel and dirt. I may get some stickier tires if I ever find a track or make my own but I think I will stick with a longer wearing tire for bashing. I just don't want the wheels going to pieces on me. I figured if they used them on the BL EXT2 then they should be ok.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:40 PM
DieHarder

That's what I run (Black w/ Spokes) Has anybody ever ran 3.8" wheels? Wouldn't that take 17mm hex? If so, I can make custom length pins, but what about the axle. Is the axle on my Evader to small for 17mm hex adapters? (I have the EXT2 axles and dogbones.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:45 AM
egbasher

The stock EXT2 wheels are OK, just kind of ugly IMO. The original EXT's aren't so great. I got a set of blue ones and they cracked after just a couple of runs on dirt. See EXT2Rob's video (above) of the track I run on. They also dissolve in acetone if you use that method to take off the tires!

ORIGINAL: 0RESET0

The stock wheels on my EXT are plain white disks. The EXT2 wheels I got are black with spokes. I mainly use my truck for bashing so it spends some time on asphalt and pavement as well as gravel and dirt. I may get some stickier tires if I ever find a track or make my own but I think I will stick with a longer wearing tire for bashing. I just don't want the wheels going to pieces on me. I figured if they used them on the BL EXT2 then they should be ok.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.